How-to: 2.3: T-stat replacement

:
03.5 YLW MSP
How to replace a thermostat in a 2.3L mazda 6

1. Support the engine with a jack

2. remove the top part of the passenger side motor mount and set it to the side. You dont need to remove the groundign cable but can if you desire.
IMG-20120726-WA0025.jpg

3. use a Serpentine belt tool on the belt tensioner as shown below. ( serpentine belt tool kit ). You can rent one via the loan a tool program from autozone for about 30 bucks. You get all your money back when you return it.
tdisline_752.jpg

4. remove belt off the power steering pump.

5. unclip the connector on the top the power steering pump
IMG_20120726_152526.jpg

6. remove the 3 bolts that are holding the power steering pump in place to the side (LEAVE THE POWERSTEERING LINES CONNECTED)
PSbolts.jpg

7. Set the pump aside
2012-07-26113301.jpg

8. Disconnect the two hoses on the t-stat housing.
IMG-20120726-WA0030.jpg

9. remove the 3 bolts holding the t-stat housing in place. You can see the bolt layout on the t-stat below.
IMG-20120726-WA0028.jpg

Now you just put it all back together the same way you took it apart.

Last edited:
Real nice how-to right here. Replaced the t-stat in our 2004 Mazda 6 last night. You would have thought they could have made getting to the tensioner pulley a little easier though.

Real nice how-to right here. Replaced the t-stat in our 2004 Mazda 6 last night. You would have thought they could have made getting to the tensioner pulley a little easier though.

Glad it helped you out. The pulley isnt so bad if you have the proper tool to get to it.

Thank you for a great post with pictures, I'm a part time professional mechanic but after finding the thermostat I knew I needed some direction on how to get to it.
I love the internet!
While I don't know if I'll have anything to contribute on this particular forum I hope I can pay it forward with help in any number of other forums I'm a member of. Usually NhPatriot or NhPatriot32.....

Thanks again StealthWyvern

Thank you for a great post with pictures, I'm a part time professional mechanic but after finding the thermostat I knew I needed some direction on how to get to it.
I love the internet!
While I don't know if I'll have anything to contribute on this particular forum I hope I can pay it forward with help in any number of other forums I'm a member of. Usually NhPatriot or NhPatriot32.....

Thanks again StealthWyvern

NP, any time. It does look like its a tight fit but once you remove the pump its a lot easier and gives you tons of room.

Great instructions! I rented to tool from Autozone but it was still very difficult to get it on and even harder to get it off the pulley.

I never saw the self-locking house clamps before. Very nice how they lock open. Took me a while to figure out how to get them to close again.

Back