How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Very little to do with the CX-5 (albeit somewhat obliquely) but I was skimming through the latest issue of the Caravan Club Magazine - yes I'm one of those - and came across a test of the SEAT Leon TDI. What caught my eye was that the tester referred to the Start/Stop feature (similar to iStop I assume) in disparaging terms.

".......... I may have switched off Start/Stop in the interests of reducing engine and turbo wear. But if it wanted to risk its turbocharger frying at every switch off, that's its own choice - though replacement turbos are not particularly economical......."

Now assuming the SEAT has similar engine management systems to the Mazda, surely this feature isn't going to activate if the turbo is still spinning or dangerously hot? Have I misunderstood this or is the guy a dinosaur?

From memory the CX5 handbook states that stop/start feature will not operate if engine temp is high. When I was towing my caravan up a long highland gradient last summer I pulled into a layby on the summit to see if I-stop would work but to my relief the engine kept running so turbo would be lubricated and cooled.

From memory the CX5 handbook states that stop/start feature will not operate if engine temp is high. When I was towing my caravan up a long highland gradient last summer I pulled into a layby on the summit to see if I-stop would work but to my relief the engine kept running so turbo would be lubricated and cooled.

My experience exactly both towing and on solo trips. Hence my puzzlement at the comment by the so-called "expert".

The T31 Xtrail 2009 model didn't have stop start, but if you switched the engine of after a hard run there was a cooling pump that ran on to cool the turbo, that's what I read, and I did hear something running from time to time.

A road tester can not possibly know how all different systems work, its difficult enough as an owner trying to find things out.

I'm still waiting for Mazda technical to get back to me on how the AWD system works.

Any of you worn out the 17" geolanders yet and had to replace them? Did you buy them again or something different? Rubber prices are at an all time low just now so might order soon, any recommendations?

Priority
Wet grip
Aqua planning (mega thunder storms flood the autobahns in summer)
Dry grip
Not too worried about wear, noise, cost or fuel con.

Last edited:
Also considered Falken 914 and Toyo's, think the 17" version are CF1 or something like that. Guess I can't go wrong with any of them, Nokian was just something different than normal and they have a good reputation for winter rubber so thought to try out their summer tyres.

Prices are still dropping, if they start to increase near spring will place the order, not sure if the price drop is due to being in the middle of winter or the price of oil, or both.

Fellow Brits...... I have had an unexpected opportunity to change my car so the CX5 will likely depart my ownership later this week.

Thing is.......I have two sets of tyres for the car, these are 225/65 r17s (so will fit SE-L derivatives but not Sport models which I believe use 19" wheels.) Both sets of tyres are Yokohamas.....Geolander G98a Summer tyres that the car came with and w902a winter tyres. Tread depth is 5-6mm.

The dealer taking the car doesn't mind whether the car is given to them with summer or winter tyres fitted. Anybody interested? Any offers? Please note the the car is currently fitted with the winter tyres so it would cost an extra 52 to get these off the car if somebody specifically wanted the winter tyres.

PM me if interested. I am located a few miles west of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire.

Get a better offer from the dealer since you have tyres for both seasons!

Fellow Brits...... I have had an unexpected opportunity to change my car so the CX5 will likely depart my ownership later this week.

Thing is.......I have two sets of tyres for the car, these are 225/65 r17s (so will fit SE-L derivatives but not Sport models which I believe use 19" wheels.) Both sets of tyres are Yokohamas.....Geolander G98a Summer tyres that the car came with and w902a winter tyres. Tread depth is 5-6mm.

The dealer taking the car doesn't mind whether the car is given to them with summer or winter tyres fitted. Anybody interested? Any offers? Please note the the car is currently fitted with the winter tyres so it would cost an extra 52 to get these off the car if somebody specifically wanted the winter tyres.

PM me if interested. I am located a few miles west of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire.

What car are you getting.

I've found a 7 month old BMW 318d Sport Gran Turisomo with 7,000 miles on the clock at a BMW main dealer. Been run by a member of staff. Comes with a 5 year service pack and a number of (minor) extras. 33.5K new, I got it for 23K. Same emissions and hence road tax, very similar performance though interestingly while both engines are equally refined at 30mph and beyond the Mazda is far more refined under low gear acceleration, but I'll live with that. 520 litre boot vs 503 for the Mazda albeit obviously with the coupe shape I won't be carrying any wardrobes in the new car, then again I never carried any in the CX. Initially the dealer offered me 16k for the Mazda but when I showed him a quote from Wewantanycar.com of 16.8K he upped it to 17k quite quickly so 6K to change. Webuyanycar offered 16K so it pays to shop around and this is the second time I have used such quotes to "up" the offer from a dealer in part ex.
Absolutely delighted with the trade in price, at 21 months old, 15.5k miles and against a new price of 24K I lost "only" 7K which is very respectable. I reckon the depreciation will increase when the revised model hits the streets and as more CXs become available on the used market.
As regards the tyres, the dealer has said they will "move the car on" so they have no interest in what tyres the car comes in with.
Just fancied a change and reckoned this was a good deal. I've had a couple of BMWs in recent years and really like them.

Last edited:
Why are you trading in a 21 month old car with low miles? Maybe you have had a lot of issues with the car?

No, not at all. Really quite like it but I believe the cost to change at this precise moment in time makes it a deal worth considering. The only real disappointments have been the poor M-way economy and the slightly low rent interior.

Having driven BMW, Jaguar, Volvo etc for years I also prefer the slightly more premium feel of such cars. I have always considered the CX to handle reasonably well and to have a great gear box but after getting back in from the my lengthy test drive yesterday it all felt a bit sloppy. All relative of course but just a matter of personal choice.

Sounds fair enough, will probably do a similar move in a couple of years time for similar reasons.

The GT version isn't a good seller which is why the discounts are large.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

The GT version isn't a good seller which is why the discounts are large.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

You don't see too many 3GTs because they are restricted and on longish lead times to maintain their premium place in the 3 series family, since they cost a bit more than the ubiquitous standard car and estate and are better equipped, it's also a slightly larger car more on a par with the 5 series which is available with much greater discounts, model for model. Given also that it's predicted residual value at 3 years is 48% vs 49% for the CX5 it seems there is a reasonable demand for it.
As you say, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

My mate bought a 320D x-drive, granted about 10k more than the CX5 so thats about 6k GBP, the cabin quality is night and day, but I guess you get what you pay for.

You don't see too many 3GTs because they are restricted and on longish lead times to maintain their premium place in the 3 series family, since they cost a bit more than the ubiquitous standard car and estate and are better equipped, it's also a slightly larger car more on a par with the 5 series which is available with much greater discounts, model for model. Given also that it's predicted residual value at 3 years is 48% vs 49% for the CX5 it seems there is a reasonable demand for it.
As you say, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I think i'm confusing the car you are getting with a stand alone GT model, sorry.
Still one site shows over 4K off the 3 series GT but new, which is a lot more than I got off a CX-5.

I beg to differ though with the interior, I found the CX-5 in preference to the low rent interior on the X3 I test drove, certainly didn't look like a car worth over 30K, the top of the dash remaindered me of recycled pop bottles for some reason, both me and the wife really thought it was poor, the Audi we had in contrast looked like a 30K, although we got 6K of that one pre reg with zero miles, out going model, but with Quattro drive

Ok finally got a reply from Mazda.

"
Mazda Information Centre‏
CIM@mazdaeur.com (CIM@mazdaeur.com)

10:50
CIM@mazdaeur.com
Dear Mr

Re: 1-1775868872

My technical team have now got back to me in regards to your enquiry, please see response below:

The AWD system in the CX-5 is not marketed as a full-time four wheel drive system, and is really only a device to assist the vehicle in getting off wet fields etc. As you would when towing a caravan.

The system has torque limitation, whereby it will cut off power to the electronically controlled rear AWD coupling if the level of wheel spin detected at the front wheels is too high, to prevent damage to the AWD system.

In normal driving conditions, all drive is supplied to the front wheels only, however, when wheel slip or wheel spin is detected, up to 50 of the torque can be transferred to the rear wheels by means of an electronically controlled rear coupling, although this is of course a maximum, which the amount of torque being transferred being constantly variable. The system may also not operate if the temperature of the oil in the rear differential is too high, or if the handbrake is applied – In the case of the video, it could well be that the handbrake has been applied to prevent the vehicle rolling back down the slope, which would also prevent any drive been sent to the rear electronic coupling

I have checked with the brand team, and also the technical information we have available to us, and there is no information relating to an upgrade or improvements to the AWD system on this model.

If you have any further questions feel free to call us on 03457 48 48 48. We are here between 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday.

Yours Sincerely

Martina Reed

Customer Relations Executive

Back