How long do OEM tires last?

Has anyone tried Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on their CX 5? Someone in this thread mentioned the EC do not come in the factory size, but a another size that would work well. I just got a 2015 GT with 16,000 and the Toyos look pretty worn for that distance. Haven't taken a measurement yet however. I have used them on a Subaru WRX and REALLY liked the handling and traction in snow.

Anyone has any ideas on why OEM tires are priced much higher than other alternatives? If the OEM tire such as the A23 is good why not price it so it could sell well to the masses?

I have bought OEM before when I had a flat destroy it fairly early in the car's life, just so they would all match. I bet that's pretty common.

I wouldn't replace them all with OEM, but I wonder if some folks, or possibly many, just tell them to put whatever the factory had on it when its time to replace.

The tread depth was 7/32"
I would have been happy with 50,000 miles. If I get 90,000 miles out of these tires I will be very impressed.

I just measured the A23's on the 2015 CX5 GT I just bought. Mostly reading 4/32s, so more worn out than not. 16500 miles driven in Florida.Now in Minnesota.

Has anyone tried Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on their CX 5? Someone in this thread mentioned the EC do not come in the factory size, but a another size that would work well. I just got a 2015 GT with 16,000 and the Toyos look pretty worn for that distance. Haven't taken a measurement yet however. I have used them on a Subaru WRX and REALLY liked the handling and traction in snow.

Took another look at Tire Rack and found the EC DWS 06 245/50r19s. According to the fitment thread this tire will work on factory 7" rims. Still wondering if anyone else has tried them. Thanks http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wall=Blackwall&partnum=45YR9DWS06XL&tab=Sizes

I have bought OEM before when I had a flat destroy it fairly early in the car's life, just so they would all match. I bet that's pretty common.

I wouldn't replace them all with OEM, but I wonder if some folks, or possibly many, just tell them to put whatever the factory had on it when its time to replace.

Yes, I had one tire get sidewall damage very early on my 2013. It sucked to have to spend the extra money on a tire I did not want, however I was not wanting to buy a complete set of the tires that I really wanted. Was a catch 22. I am sure that these O.E. Sizes are priced to take advantage of that as well. (glare)

I do not find them to be a bad tire, they seem to give both a sporty feel, good comfort, and decent weather compromise, but I do not think you should expect long tread life from them. Long tread life is probably one of the least concerning attributes when the manufacturer chooses a tire.

I was surprised to see what the thread rating was on these. It's a really soft rubber compound so I don't expect long lasting thread. I currently have about 21k miles on my car and probably have around 50% left on the tires. I almost crapped a brick when I saw how much they go for on Tirerack. NO F'in WAY I'd buy them again.

I just installed the winter rubber the other day and was really surprised at the tire wear on the OEM's.
17" Yokohama Geolander G91. They were down to the wear bars with only 22,000kms (13,640 miles). (uhm)
I know OEM's are usually poor quality, but this is sort of a joke. I monitor pressures, park in a garage, rarely see gravel. From the side they look ok, and never really paid attention to the tread, why should I with such low miles? Only noticed when swapping on the winters. As for the wear, it's nice and even, no wheel alignment issues, feathering, etc.
After I swapped to the winter tires, Nokian Hakkapeliitta r2, had to do a quick test run, and notice how much quieter and better handling with winter rubber. How the heck does that work?
I knew I'd be buying tires, but thought it wouldn't be so soon. Sort of interesting reading this thread, that the mileage results are all over the board.

Last edited:
I just installed the winter rubber the other day and was really surprised at the tire wear on the OEM's. Yokohama Geolander G91. They were down to the wear bars with only 22,000kms (13,640 miles). (uhm)

That's really amazing. Did you mean to say the wear bars are actually flush with the rest of the tread?

I know OEM's are usually poor quality, but this is sort of a joke.

My experience has been that OEM rubber is usually a jack of all trades. My Ford F-150 was the exception to that rule. Those tires were made to a tight price point and were complete crap. My Subaru, Volkswagen Eurovan, Volvo S80 and CX-5 all came with pretty commendable, jack of all trades, rubber. You can always get tires that will do better at what you want (whether that be handling, grip, MPG, quietness, longevity, hydroplane resistance, steering response, etc.) but you're unlikely to find a tire that can do everything better, or even most things better.

I monitor pressures, park in a garage, rarely see gravel.

What pressures were they maintained between? Is it AWD? AWD is sensitive to the pressures all being the same (or, more accurately, their effective diameters all being the same).

After I swapped to the winter tires, Nokian Hakkapeliitta r2, had to do a quick test run, and notice how much quieter and better handling with winter rubber. How the heck does that work?

Yeah, my winter tires handle better than the Geolanders too and they're about the same noise level.

I knew I'd be buying tires, but thought it wouldn't be so soon. Sort of interesting reading this thread, that the mileage results are all over the board.

I can only speculate. There are environmental factors like temperature, speed, abrasiveness of road surfaces (which is a huge factor), weight, air pressure etc.

Then there are internal factors like the curing of the tire rubber. There is a lot more to tire "rubber" than meets they eye. The stuff is almost alive in that it continues curing during your ownership. But generally the problem is an accelerated cure caused by excessive heat. If this excessive heat is a one time thing (or happens only periodically) it can over-cure the rubber which causes it to harden and last longer under some conditions (and always at the expense of grip). Your tire life was so short I suspect one of two things happened.

1) Not fully cured from the factory leaving the tires feeling fairly grippy but they might feel "greasy" under really hard cornering.
2) Over-cured (either from the factory or from a number of excessive heat events). This would leave the tires feeling slippery, especially in the cold and wet.

Now normally over-curing would make the tire last longer but I'm wondering if hardened rubber combined with driving on sharp chip-seal type roads might not cause thousands of micro-cuts in the too hard rubber, cuts that might not occur if the rubber was softer and more compliant, cuts that could cause micro-chunking too small to see with a casual look.

But, yeah, that's real short life assuming you inflated them properly and drove somewhat normally.

I am getting the slightly off specification Continental Extreme Contact DWSs installed today. Snowing out now here in Minnesota,so will be a good test to start out with. As mentioned earlier in the thread the ECs are 245 50 19 whereas the factory is a 225 55 19 which is not available in an EC. Very close though. Once driven for a bit, I will post my impressions

Last edited:

I bought the EC DWSs in 245 50 19 and have driven 50 miles or so on them. Of course the Toyos were about half gone,but the ECs are much better in the snow and wet for sure and I would say with limited driving lots better overall. No problem with the slight increase in width.

I replaced my 17" G91's today at 51,000 mi due to a sharp piece of wood that made a large hole in the shoulder of my left rear tire.
The tires were very evenly worn and had 3/32" of tread left.

I got a set of Yokohoma YK580 in OEM size, but with a slightly higher load rating (225/65R17 102H)

BQRxzdv.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced my 17" G91's today at 51,000 mi due to a sharp piece of wood that made a large hole in the shoulder of my left rear tire.
The tires were very evenly worn and had 3/32" of tread left.

I got a set of Yokohoma YK580 in OEM size, but with a slightly higher load rating (225/65R17 102H)

Wow, you really got your money's worth out of those Geolanders! But the even wear is a thing of beauty and a testament to the good alignment specs and rigid chassis of the CX-5.

Wow, you really got your money's worth out of those Geolanders! But the even wear is a thing of beauty and a testament to the good alignment specs and rigid chassis of the CX-5.

I've had the new Yokohoma yk580 tires on for a week now.

The difference in traction is night and day. I did not realize just how bad the Geolanders have gotten over three years and 51kmi of use.
With the stock tires, it was very easy to spin a tire and activate traction control when turning from a stop.
The tires were so bad that my CX-5 actually had torque steer all the way through 1st gear on perfectly dry grippy roads and a few weeks back I was even able to activate traction control on a damp uphill road in 2nd gear.
The tires were however, very fun to drive on. The comically low levels of grip combined with the playful chassis dynamics of the CX-5 meant that "spirited" braking and cornering were possible at very sane speeds.

I just replaced the OEM Geolanders on my 2014 with the Continental True Contacts at 45k miles. I was down to the wear bars. So far with about 1000 miles on the Conti's I'm really happy. Ride is noticeably smoother and quieter.

Follow-up: With only our 2nd snow storm of the year, the new Conti's handled the snow and slush beautifully! I'm very happy with my purchase!

I changed mine at 30k...I could have gone another 5k maybe 8k but I don't mess around trying to take tires to the moon...there too important (found that out the hard way in my youth) and not worth the potential accident that could happen from riding around on nubs..

My oem 19" Toyo A23's are almost worn out at 20,000 miles. Now I have separate winters and probably drive about 4 months on them, ~1800 miles. So, at just over 18,000 miles my Toyo's are almost done. WTF!! Now I wouldn't say that I am an aggressive driver so this amount of wear is ridiculous.

I have therefore started my (re)search for replacement tires. This has become more complicated (for my CX-5) than I ever would have thought as I have bought dozens of new tires over the years. Here's why:

I went to a local Toyo dealer just for fun, even though I knew I'd never want replacement Toyo A23's, considering how quickly they wear. I commented to him about their wear and he made the following eye opening comment. "Not many people know this but the oem Toyo A23's have less tread on them from the assembly line than the same tire I will sell you from my shop. In fact many oem tires have this issue." WTF!! His price was up around $268/tire!! Thanks, but no thanks!!

So off I go to my local Costco dealer to see what they have to offer, as I have bought all our family tires there in recent years. I mention the new oem Toyo lower tread comment to the rep there who I know and trust. He says he hasn't heard of lower tread but many oem's definitely have a different composition/construction then the same aftermarket tire, for 2 reasons. One, to give the vehicle certain desirable handling/driving characteristics the first months that you drive it, and, second, the vehicle manufacturers negotiate a price point that they can live with, so some long term driving characteristics have to be sacrificed through cheaper construction costs.

OK, this explains why I have read about a few people getting the dealer to switch up the tires on their brand new CX-5's right off the lot. Get rid of those crappy oem Toyo A23's as soon as possible. Hmmm. Smart thinking.

Knowing that CX-5 owners on this forum talk frequently about Continental TrueContacts, Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422, and Pirelli Cinturato P7+'s I ask my Costco guy what he can offer me in 225/55/19. He has the Pirelli P7's and the Duelers in my size as well as Michelin Premier LTX in the oversize 235/55/19's. I told him that some CX-5 owners elsewhere on this forum say not to go oversize with 235's as you give up some favorable driving characteristics like mpg(due to extra weight) and gain more road noise. So no 235's for me.

He went on to then say the Pirelli P7's won't work as my GT takes V rated tires and the P7 is an H rated tire, and Pirelli specifically says on the sticker on the tire that they won't warranty a tire if you go down a rating(H) from what the vehicle manufacture recommends(V). So, no P7's for me. So that leaves the Bridgestone Duelers(V rated). Not my first choice as I read that tire noise is a bit of an issue for them. The Costco rep did agree that it's tread pattern looks to be a bit more aggressive than the P7's and the LTX's so this might explain that issue.

So, what to do. Fortunately I just found out 2 days ago from another tire dealer that Michelin is putting a 225/55/19 99V Premier LTX tire into production as we speak and that they should be in dealers by June. So if I can stretch my nearly worn out crappy Toyo A23's until then I'm thinking this may be the tire for me, BUT, I'd like to hear from other CX-5 owners who have first hand experience with Premier LTX's in any size.

Last edited:
It must be a road surface related. My A23's are at 7/32 with 22K miles (35K KM). The Michelin's are definitely an option when I need to replace mine though...

Back