How is your gas milage

mWxo3

So I just got my p5 and I have filled up 2x already. On my 2nd tank. My first tank I was able to drive
295 miles on a full tank and a little after the light came in. How is this for milage compared to everyone elses real life milage?

I get about 30mpg in the summer but drop to about 27mpg in the winter, something to do with the mix of gas they use I guess.

winter mix is crap in idaho but warmup starting and studs don't help. 315 miles @ 12.1 gallons = 26mpg. Better than the last tank by 3 mpg, not sure why it was so poor.

Hmmm this tank is not lookin good. I'm at half tank and I've only driven 100 miles. Anyone know why I'm getting such crappy gas mileage? I drive traffic almost 90% of the time but I don't expect to have such crappy gas mileage

My mileage has been poor since the weather turned colder. I thought a new 02 sensor would help but i still am getting 23-24 all in town driving. I have a heavy foot but used to get 25-27 regularly.

Winter fuel is crap. Funny how the oil companies can have a larger affect on MPG than the car or driver. Imagine if they sapped 2~3 mpg from 20 million cars. Thats 40 to 30 millon miles of efficiency lost. If the feds want to do something they should stricly regulate the composition of fuel, I'm sure there's data out there pointing out the best mix. If the mix was standardized auto manufacturers could better tune the engines.

rant rant rant. f'ing oil companies.

If your mileage is unusually low and you don't know why have the exhaust gas analyzed, that'll tell you a lot. Also look into hyper mileing techniques, they helped me.

Today's fill up: 360.05 miles @ 12.64 gallons = 28.48 mpg. My low fuel light had JUST come on.... thought hard about trying to go the extra 40 I needed to hit the 400 mark but what can I say, I'm a weanie! I drive about 75% highway, 25% city and usually average 25/27 in the winter, 28/31 summer. I'm sold on Chevron gas - little bit pricier than some, depending on where you go but it's always been good to me.

around town 22-25 on hwy at (70mph about 33) at (80-85 about 34-35)
at (90 -about 32mpg).... i try to stay 80-85, its the sweet spot with my car, please note i have many mods.. 1000rpm lower on the stock car, so about 70-75 should be best for milage
i think 32mpg was the best when it was stock

Last edited:
Winter blend gas is defined by government regulations. The gas has to have a lower flash point so it will vaporize better, thus the refiner's add butane or other light hydrocarbon including ethanol to the gasoline blend. These liquid components have a lower heating value meaning less energy for a gallon of gas and thus you use more gas during the winter. Summer blends will be out in April so everyone's mileage will go back up. The northern cooler states will notice it the most and the warmer states may not notice a difference at all. Also with the addition of ethanol in the gas the mileage will be lower. Not all gasoline providers add ethanol so mileage will differ between brands and between areas of the same brand.

My apologies for this dumb question, but couldnt find it in a search.
Just bought my 02 P5, but I have no owners manual, what size fuel tank do you we have?

Thanks

summer, 31-33, 75% hwy, 25% city.

winter 24-27, 50% both ways.

Winter: if i am nice and drive only hwy, i get around 29-30. mods are listed below. i thank them for the mpg's.

winter (cold air) has a higher air density, thus more fuel is needed to maintain air fuel ratio, less in the summer.. same with altitude, my moms is colorado is at 8,000, i drivearound at redline, use NO fuel.. you almost need to because you have NO power.. lol

Just made a trip into LA.............165 miles.......5 gallons...running about 78mph most of the way...........im liking this!!!

Back