How does CX-5 compare to the Mazda6 in driving experience?

Driving4Truth

:
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L LX (AWD)
Hi all! I'm a newbie here, registering on the forum in anticipation of eventually buying a 2016 CX-5 later this year (or possibly a CX-3). This will be my first Mazda too. :)

I got bit by the Mazda bug way back in 2011, when I drove a Mazda6 rental from Austin to Dallas, and it was easily the best driving experience I ever had. I've been driving a Santa Fe since 2004 since I prefer SUVs, but I had never thought I would get an enjoyable experience driving a sedan until I drove the Mazda.

I was wondering if anyone had occasion to driver BOTH a Mazda6 and CX-5, and if they could provide some insight on how driving the two cars compared? Since this was 2011 I was likely driving either a 2010 or 2011 Mazda6 model. If I can recapture the driving fun I had back then with a CX-5 too man would I be a happy camper.

Thanks, and glad to have found this forum!

I have a 2014 CX-5. It very agile and FUN to drive. I drove the Mazda 6 and it drove o.k. It is much lower to the ground & larger; however, I found the visibility from the CX-5 to be GREAT! I really wasn't a fan of the Mazda 6, but I would encourage you to drive both. The 6 is a SHARP LOOKING vehicle.

One thing I might warn you of is road and wind noise. Make sure you drive the vehicle you want to purchase on smooth & ROUGH surfaces. Salesman tend to take you on the smoothest routes. Happy Motoring.

I have a 2014 CX-5. It very agile and FUN to drive. I drove the Mazda 6 and it drove o.k. It is much lower to the ground & larger; however, I found the visibility from the CX-5 to be GREAT! I really wasn't a fan of the Mazda 6, but I would encourage you to drive both. The 6 is a SHARP LOOKING vehicle.

One thing I might warn you of is road and wind noise. Make sure you drive the vehicle you want to purchase on smooth & ROUGH surfaces. Salesman tend to take you on the smoothest routes. Happy Motoring.

Thanks, the visibility is one of the reasons why I tend to prefer SUVs. I'm excited about the 2016 model because I read they used more sound deadening material to make for a quieter ride, and most of the reviews I've read from people driving earlier models already indicated a ride that leans on the quieter side. Of course my aging Santa Fe already sounds like a jet engine so just about anything is going to seem quieter in comparison now. :D

If you liked the last gen 6, you'll be astounded by the improvements in the new one. As to how it compares to the CX-5, that's kind of an apples and oranges thing!

Thanks, the visibility is one of the reasons why I tend to prefer SUVs. I'm excited about the 2016 model because I read they used more sound deadening material to make for a quieter ride, and most of the reviews I've read from people driving earlier models already indicated a ride that leans on the quieter side. Of course my aging Santa Fe already sounds like a jet engine so just about anything is going to seem quieter in comparison now. :D

In that case, you are going to LOVE the CX-5. I have the old infotainment system & despite a few quirks, I really like it. The Bluetooth works great with phone & music player in android phones, or ipod in the connection port. I know the new system is better, but make sure your phone is compatible with the system, if you are planning on getting a new phone anytime soon. My flip phone worked fine but wouldn't read text messages. I got a New LG G3 and it works GREAT! Mazda has a list of compatible devices on their website.

If you liked the last gen 6, you'll be astounded by the improvements in the new one. As to how it compares to the CX-5, that's kind of an apples and oranges thing!

I hope the "fun" factor will still be there with the CX-5 though. :D

In that case, you are going to LOVE the CX-5. I have the old infotainment system & despite a few quirks, I really like it. The Bluetooth works great with phone & music player in android phones, or ipod in the connection port. I know the new system is better, but make sure your phone is compatible with the system, if you are planning on getting a new phone anytime soon. My flip phone worked fine but wouldn't read text messages. I got a New LG G3 and it works GREAT! Mazda has a list of compatible devices on their website.

Thanks, I hear the new infotainment on the 2016 is much improved as well. I may have timed it just right since the CX-5 has gone through enough refreshes now to address all the major complaints since its introduction. :)

Good on you for waiting on the 2016 model! The infotainment is supposedly way better, so, yeah. I absolutely love how my '15 CX-5 drives & feels, so I have no doubt that you'd like it as well. :3

The road noise isn't an issue for me, personally, but then again - I have my music kind of loud most of the time.

Good on you for waiting on the 2016 model! The infotainment is supposedly way better, so, yeah. I absolutely love how my '15 CX-5 drives & feels, so I have no doubt that you'd like it as well. :3

The road noise isn't an issue for me, personally, but then again - I have my music kind of loud most of the time.

I'm hearing impaired so this is an important factor, being a frequent traveler it's amazing how much the cabin noise can vary with the different rentals I've driven and how much it can impact my ability to enjoy music or take in a phone call when I need to. Can't wait to test drive the 2016's so I can finally compare that as well.

It is, but the Mazda 6 is, owing to lower CG and bigger over all, a more planted vehicle during spirited driving. That being said it is an apples and oranges comparison as stated above. The CX 5 is, for a CUV in it's price point, the best you can get for driving feel. (IMHO of course.)

HAHA, hey the Santa Fe has been a reliable car for me throughout the years, just so long as I avoided looking at how much I paid for gas at the pump. (boom01)
Your question (and my response) pertained to "fun factor", not reliability (or gas mileage). If driving enjoyment were your primary concern, any decent modern sedan would win hands-down over a CUV. What can be said for the CX-5 (IMO), is that it is the least onerous of the current crop of SUVs. I know that's kind of a back-handed compliment, but I'm not a big fan of SUVs like many are here.

I haven't driven the new 6. But when I the test drive the CX-5, it handled better than the 2013 Ford Fusion rental that I drove to the dealership in. Getting back in the Fusion was a disappointment, which surprised me greatly considering how well regarded the handling on that model was. My only other sedan-driving experience after buying the CX-5 has been a 2013 Jetta, and that thing was atrocious.

In any case, just take both for a test drive now. It is highly unlikely that the new model will handle differently.

If driving enjoyment were your primary concern, any decent modern sedan would win hands-down over a CUV. What can be said for the CX-5 (IMO), is that it is the least onerous of the current crop of SUVs. I know that's kind of a back-handed compliment, but I'm not a big fan of SUVs like many are here.

I know exactly what you mean - I've hated SUV's with a passion ever since they first became popular. The CX-5 was the first one I could actually enjoy driving due to it's excellent driving dynamics. And I disagree that all decent modern sedans offer a better driving experience. I recently rented a 2014 Nissan Altima for two weeks and it drove like crap. The expected better handling due to lower center of gravity never materialized and the steering felt numb and vague. In a corner the Altima did not hold a line requiring multiple mid-corner corrections on a constant radius turn. The biggest difference was bumpy paved roads that the CX-5 would have consumed without a second thought caused the Altima to pitch and roll in a very harsh and uncomfortable manner.

OK Mike; one can come up with an exception to any generalization.

I will offer two additional exceptions then. The 2014 CX-5 handles better than the 2013 Ford Fusion SE and FAR better than the 2013 Jetta 2.5SE.

I will offer two additional exceptions then. The 2014 CX-5 handles better than the 2013 Ford Fusion SE and FAR better than the 2013 Jetta 2.5SE.

I'd also like to add the '14 Nissan Rogue to the pile... Not only is the styling off, but the driving feels lull. I wasn't a fan of how it handled.

I haven't driven a Mazda 6, but I test drove its little brother, the Mazda 3 sedan, while my cx-5 car was getting serviced.

Due to the lower center of gravity and lighter weight I was expecting it to handle better than the CX-5, but I came away from the test drive unimpressed.

The dealer let me take the car out without a sales person, so I got to drive the car on the same windy roads in the Santa Monica mountains that I frequent in my cx-5.
I wasn't familiar with the 3, so that probably contributed to my impression, but to me, the CX-5 feels better when driven spiritedly than the Mazda 3.

It might be partially due to the brand new tires on the 3 vs my cx-5 with 39k on the rubber, but the Mazda 3 just didn't feel as fun. The 3 was definitely more planted and I probably took the corners faster, but under-steer was more noticeable and the car just didn't feel as "right" as the CX-5 does.

I haven't driven a Mazda 6, but I test drove its little brother, the Mazda 3 sedan, while my cx-5 car was getting serviced.

Due to the lower center of gravity and lighter weight I was expecting it to handle better than the CX-5, but I came away from the test drive unimpressed.

The dealer let me take the car out without a sales person, so I got to drive the car on the same windy roads in the Santa Monica mountains that I frequent in my cx-5.
I wasn't familiar with the 3, so that probably contributed to my impression, but to me, the CX-5 feels better when driven spiritedly than the Mazda 3.

It might be partially due to the brand new tires on the 3 vs my cx-5 with 39k on the rubber, but the Mazda 3 just didn't feel as fun. The 3 was definitely more planted and I probably took the corners faster, but under-steer was more noticeable and the car just didn't feel as "right" as the CX-5 does.

Thanks for sharing!

Back