Hit a pot hole

CalgaryMS6

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
So I hit a monster pot hole last week. I have a shimmy that appears around 100 km/h and there is some knocking when I go over bumps, so the car is going in Wednesday to get some work done. I did however notice this weekend that the tire is toast also. I have a bulge on the side wall. So I went to order a new tire to replace it and the guy tells me it's going to cost $364.00 per tire. So I figure this guy is just giving me the shaft so I call around. That is actually the best price I can find. I can't bring myself to spend $364 on a tire that only has a treadwear of 140.

So my question to you, What have you guys replaced your stock tires with? I have snow tires and rims, so I don't want an all season I would like to stick with a performance tire. I will be sticking with my stock rims as well. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

The sad part is if you have a decent amount of mileage on your tires I would at least replace both tires on that axle.

If all 4 tires are heavily worn you may need to replace all 4.

I have under 10k (kms) on my tires as I bought the car in October and almost immediately put the winters on. Summers just got put back on the car 4-5 weeks ago.

Well, Mazda actually came in cheaper at $321, but after some bitching I managed to have them eat the tire on warranty. They squeezed me in and got the tire mounted for me yesterday as well. Pretty decent service, I was happy. That is, until I drove home and the shimmy was still there, I was hopeing it would be gone and the knocking from the suspension would have been a simple low cost fix. I'm guessing this won't be the case.

If you still have a shimmy you may have bent the rim. I did this to one of mine hitting a curb.

If its on the front axle move it to the back and see if the shimmy goes away... or at least you can't feel it in the steering wheel anymore.

Blown strut, nice. Will only replace in pairs, 4 wheel alignment and balance, no warranty due to aftermarket springs, yada yada. So that little pot hole just hit me square in the nuts for $1300 bucks... Woohoo!

They voided your warranty due to aftermarket springs? At my dealership, I told them about a rubbing problem and they encouraged aftermarket springs.

Weird.

Yeah, they used the whole "less travel" caused the damge line. New tire cost me $321 and the repair for the struts, subframe shift, 4 wheel alignment and balance and Oil change (was just that time) came to $1150. So that little bump in the road cost me near $1500. Fun times. Runs beautifully though, no knocks, shimmies, or vibes to be found.

You should have called the city and made them pay for it. You hit a pothole on their roads that is there responsibility to maintain.

Oh that's done. Letter sent with pictures of the pot hole, documented dates and copies of my bills. Still not going to hold my breath though.

Thats insanity Calgary, I hope you get a positive response from the city. If not I would imagine it wouldnt be worth your time or money to file suite for it, not sure about there, but the cort costs + lawyer would run more then you would get out of it here in the states.

Back