Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 vs Continental Extreme Contact dws06 plus

Hi Folks,

My 2021 CX-5 Signature is ready for some new new tires. I am trying to decide between 225/55/19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 vs 235/55/19 CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS. The CONTINENTALS do not come in 225s and the MICHELINS don't come in 235s. This is for the stock 7" wide wheel. I will say, there are a ton of pot holes on the roads out here in NorCal and the CX-5 suspension is pretty firm. So ride quality to reduce some of the jolting from the pot holes is important. Not sure if the tires can help with that over the stock Toyos. I also like a quiet ride so tire noise is also important. Any input regarding pros and cons regarding these two tire sizes (stock 225 vs slightly wider 235) and regarding these two tire models would be most appreciated!

You cant beat Michelins. I’d take a look at the Michelin Defenders, an 80k mile tire that is extremely quiet and durable. That being said I have had those Continentals on my Miatas and they are great…but get noisy at half life.

if you want to stick with oem size and want relatively quiet tire and decent ride (much better than the Toyos) -> Michelin Primacy Tour A/S.
Lots of people praise the Conti lx25 and the new Pirelli Scorpion 3 A/S as well. Both are also cheaper than Michelin.
I would stick with oem size but thats just me.

Hi Folks,

My 2021 CX-5 Signature is ready for some new new tires. I am trying to decide between 225/55/19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 vs 235/55/19 CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS. The CONTINENTALS do not come in 225s and the MICHELINS don't come in 235s. This is for the stock 7" wide wheel. I will say, there are a ton of pot holes on the roads out here in NorCal and the CX-5 suspension is pretty firm. So ride quality to reduce some of the jolting from the pot holes is important. Not sure if the tires can help with that over the stock Toyos. I also like a quiet ride so tire noise is also important. Any input regarding pros and cons regarding these two tire sizes (stock 225 vs slightly wider 235) and regarding these two tire models would be most appreciated!

I drive the Contis and feel they are superior for most driving, but if you drive in a lot of snow, the the Michelin is a bit better.

The pilot sport 4 are more of a high performance all season tire meant to help improve handling and grip so may have a firmer ride. The DWS06 is kinda along the same lines. So don't know if these more performance oriented tires would help with your pot hole situation.

I have a 2023 CX-5 Signature Turbo with OEM tires but I also own 2 older BMW 5 Series (2003 540i M Sport and 1995 525i wagon with an M3 engine swap) and 1997 328i Convertible. I have run Pilot Sport and DWS06 on all of them over the years. In my experience, no one does ride quality better than Michelin with low profile performance tires. That is not to say you will have family cruiser ride quality with the Pilot Sports but they will be the best in class when it comes to traction and ride quality. That said, the DWS06 is not far behind. It does not have quite as much high performance capability as the Michelins but in normal street driving you will never notice the difference. The Contis also have very good ride quality in the 55 series aspect ratio ones on my BMWs. The 235/55-19 Contis will have a slightly taller sidewall than the 225/55-19 Michelin tire and that may help with pothole strewn roads but I would not count on it. I would comparison shop on price when choosing between these two and choose the lower price one unless you want to do track days with your CX-5.

Hi Folks,

I have upgraded wheels, brakes, and tires. Running the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus after a lot of research.

If you run in a lot of snow, I'd say get the Michelins. Otherwise, the Continental is the better tire from all of the data I've seen (and I do love them so far).

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_190706179.jpg
    PXL_20221009_190706179.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 87
I have upgraded wheels, brakes, and tires. Running the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus after a lot of research.

If you run in a lot of snow, I'd say get the Michelins. Otherwise, the Continental is the better tire from all of the data I've seen (and I do love them so far).
Hi. Ihave a 2016 m3 with a lot of road noise. I wear ear plugs when I drive (I can still hear radio and road noise, but it reduces it a bit). I know new tires would help a lot, but there is SO MUCH conflicting info on the subject that I’m starting to think the CAR is the issue NOT the tires. Anyway I have heard the continental extreme contact are quiet until half life, then they are noisy. Just wondering how many miles you have on yours now, and how quiet they are, if you wouldn’t mind sharing your experience. Thanks.

Hi. Ihave a 2016 m3 with a lot of road noise. I wear ear plugs when I drive (I can still hear radio and road noise, but it reduces it a bit). I know new tires would help a lot, but there is SO MUCH conflicting info on the subject that I’m starting to think the CAR is the issue NOT the tires. Anyway I have heard the continental extreme contact are quiet until half life, then they are noisy. Just wondering how many miles you have on yours now, and how quiet they are, if you wouldn’t mind sharing your experience. Thanks.

Less than 8k miles. No noise yet, but great grip.

I have the Continentals on order. Chose them over Michelins after seeing some owner reviews who had both. They're also much cheaper.

Back