Replace Tow Hook Cover for 2016 Mazda6

Today I noticed that someone had stolen the tire hook concert from the front bumper of my 2016 Mazda6 (Soul Red). So frustrating because this is the third time in 3 years and second time in 3 weeks that the part is missing šŸ˜ž. And I'm more frustrated with Mazda that owners cannot order this replacement in the color of their vehicle. The part itself is only $12 but it costs nearly $100 to get it painted in Soul Red at a professional body shop.

Any hacks for this? Has anyone been able to purchase pre-painted covers for a Mazda6 anywhere that they recommend safely? Or is there a way I can get paints that match closely and paint the cover myself?

I don't understand why Mazda would design this part in such a way that you can only get replacements in basic black. Very frustrating to have to replace this time and again....

Factory painted
Just order a dozen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-125943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-125943_Chrome.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 164
Today I noticed that someone had stolen the tire hook concert from the front bumper of my 2016 Mazda6 (Soul Red). So frustrating because this is the third time in 3 years and second time in 3 weeks that the part is missing šŸ˜ž. And I'm more frustrated with Mazda that owners cannot order this replacement in the color of their vehicle. The part itself is only $12 but it costs nearly $100 to get it painted in Soul Red at a professional body shop.

Any hacks for this? Has anyone been able to purchase pre-painted covers for a Mazda6 anywhere that they recommend safely? Or is there a way I can get paints that match closely and paint the cover myself?

I don't understand why Mazda would design this part in such a way that you can only get replacements in basic black. Very frustrating to have to replace this time and again....
I have seen these listed on AlliExpress.com. And there were various colors, to include RED. Having said that, itā€™s difficult to tell from the picture if itā€™s just a ā€œplainā€ basic red, or if it is Soul Red Crystal Metallic.

You can purchase the aerosol cans of Soul Red from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ . I have used them once on a huge scratch in driverā€™s rear fender of wifeā€™s SUV. It was a perfect match. You canā€™t tell where the old paint ends or the new begins. I was pretty proud of myself for how it turned out. They have a toll free #, and someone to assist and answer your questions/concerns. Even provide tips on ā€œhow-to.ā€

Best of luck. Send feedback if you pursue this project. BTW, I think itā€™s pretty chickensh*t that youā€™ve had three taken. Sounds like kids.

Update :
RealMazdaParts confirmed that they do not sell this part in the color of the vehicle. They only come in plain black (and no, it won't match your black Mazda either). I contacted one of my local Mazda approved bodyshops to get my tow covers painted. I decided to buy four since obviously this is a recurring problem and I'm tired of spending almost $100 each time for a tiny paint job.

Cost of four tow covers : $48 roughly
Paint job by approved Mazda body shop : $140 for four covers

I didn't see this post for the spray paint in time. I'll probably order that too, and see if I can cover fine scratches and dings in other spots.

FYI... RealMazda customer service is very slow. No one answered the phone or responded to voice messages. Website query was more effective but took a few days.

Update :
RealMazdaParts confirmed that they do not sell this part in the color of the vehicle. They only come in plain black (and no, it won't match your black Mazda either). I contacted one of my local Mazda approved bodyshops to get my tow covers painted. I decided to buy four since obviously this is a recurring problem and I'm tired of spending almost $100 each time for a tiny paint job.

Cost of four tow covers : $48 roughly
Paint job by approved Mazda body shop : $140 for four covers

I didn't see this post for the spray paint in time. I'll probably order that too, and see if I can cover fine scratches and dings in other spots.

FYI... RealMazda customer service is very slow. No one answered the phone or responded to voice messages. Website query was more effective but took a few days.
Just a word of caution: wifeā€™s SUV was white. White is a whole different enchilada from Soul Red. Itā€™s a simple application. Paint spray and clear coat cover.

Soul Red Crystal Metallic is a three-step process. I have heard from professional painters that SRCM is a bear to apply properly and he hates working with ALL 3-step paints, due to matching. In fact, neighbor has a SRCM CX5. She hit something on the interstate and screwed up the front end. She had to return it to the dealer 3 times because the paint did not match the rest of the carā€™s panels. Whatā€™s involved? I donā€™t know. I will defer to others or you can call those guys at touch up paint and ask. BTW, they also sell matching paint touch up pens.

If you do try it, please let me know how well it worked for you.

Last edited:
Hey! Thatā€™s awesome. Great find! I may order a few to set backā€¦you never know. As @Pdx916 alluded to. For a few bucks, I can be proactive.

Once again, @Silly Wabbit comes thru. Forums have been my saving grace numerous times.
Update :
I hit a deer one evening and it ran away. After arriving home, I found the front tow hook cover missing. Could not find it the next morning on site. Dealer said they only carry black plastic one. I used touch-up paint to paint it, but it is hard to match metallic color (sonic silver) in big area. So I left it on there for 3 yrs. Ugly, but better than black plastic hole in bumper.

Recently I found this site... mazda24.com.
They carries it. Why not? I bought one for $20+ (incl. S&H).
It arrived yesterday. Perfect match in color.
Just FYI.
I am not affiliated with them.
Interesting site... factory in Ukraine. I was worried if they were able to ship from there.
Ended up they shipped mine from PA.

Last edited:
I hit a deer one evening and it ran away. After arriving home, I found the front tow hook cover missing. Could not find it the next morning on site. Dealer said they only carry black plastic one. I used touch-up paint to paint it, but it is hard to match metallic color (sonic silver) in big area. So I left it on there for 3 yrs. Ugly, but better than black plastic hole in bumper.

Recently I found this site... mazda24.com.
They carries it. Why not? I bought one for $20+ (incl. S&H).
It arrived yesterday. Perfect match in color.
Just FYI.
I am not affiliated with them.
Interesting site... factory in Ukraine. I was worried if they were able to ship from there.
Ended up they ship mine from PA.
Interesting you found a location in Ukraine, of all places. And a matching color as well. Good find!

Factory in Ukraine, but shipped from PA.
Shady website, but I took a chance ... paypal used for payment anyway.

Factory in Ukraine, but shipped from PA.
Shady website, but I took a chance ... paypal used for payment anyway.
I ordered my Punisher center cap stickers on eBay. They were shipped from Belarus. I also took the chance. And with PayPal. Turned out okay. But not ready to push my luckā€¦.šŸ˜„

I ordered my Punisher center cap stickers on eBay. They were shipped from Belarus. I also took the chance. And with PayPal. Turned out okay. But not ready to push my luckā€¦.šŸ˜„
Now that I said the above, I decided to push my luck and order a backup set. Actually received these several days quicker than the first set. Noticed these came from France. Same eBay website. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I was thinking, what if I lose one or, heaven forbid, one falls off in the car wash? Now I have 4 to use as replacements.

Latest posts

Back