Here's one for you: mysterious dead battery

Pretzellogic

Contributor
:
Das Pretzelwagon
So I'm all set to take the Pretzelwagon on a small cruise tonight, but find that the key-fob isn't unlocking it. Okay: get in with the old-fashioned "key-in-lock" method, and start reaching for the "OMGalarm" button, but nothing happens. The battery appears to be completely dead.

Huh? It's about a year old, and a decent battery at that. I never leave anything on, and when I hooked it up to jump I still couldn't find where I ****** up.

So, anyone want to specualte as to how a battery that was fine yesterday is dead today? Feel free to post your conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
There are so many options. You could have a parasitic drain on the battery (get a voltmeter touch one connector to pos. post and one to top of battery near pos. post. if you get a ready which most batteries will you have a parasitic drain. above like 2-3 volts is bad)
Dirty terminals could also cause a drain.
Check battery cables away from battery if they are swollen then acid has gotten inside and corroded the inside.

like i said b4 there are so many possibilities

anarchistchiken said:
God hates you.
I've known that for a while now. God actually lives down the street from me. She's a little old woman who wears Indian combat boots and speaks in tongues. Whenever I'm near she thows cats at me.

Hasn't had the fuckers declawed, either.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle>
<!-- main error message -->
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pretzellogic again.

<!-- / main error message -->​

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

(rofl)

Pretzellogic said:
I've known that for a while now. God actually lives down the street from me. She's a little old woman who wears Indian combat boots and speaks in tongues. Whenever I'm near she thows cats at me.

Hasn't had the fuckers declawed, either.

Throws cats, eh? Like idle hands (movie) style? Or just lobs em?

Yeah, what kind of battery is it? You car can easily work fine the day before, because the battery was carrying a surface charge, especially if the car was just running, with the alternator supplying fresh juice.

Could be the cold weather. The cold has a tendensy to kill batteries. The cold just finished off my stock batterie last week. But yours should be fine since its only a year old and you tryed to jump it. I would have it tested at Shucks, Autozone, Napa, or whatever part store you have in your area. That will tell you for sure if it is a dead cell batterie or not, although highly unlikely.

mazdaspeed777 said:
Could be the cold weather. The cold has a tendensy to kill batteries. The cold just finished off my stock batterie last week. But yours should be fine since its only a year old and you tryed to jump it. I would have it tested at Shucks, Autozone, Napa, or whatever part store you have in your area. That will tell you for sure if it is a dead cell batterie or not, although highly unlikely.
I replaced the horrid stock battery long ago due to it's far of the cold.

I doubt that the battery has coughed its last, yet I have yet to find any drain on it.

Back