2016 CX-5 Interstate battery replaced with Walmart Everstart Evermax

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I just ended up replacing my Costco Interstate Group 35 battery on my CX-5 which was about 2.5 years old that I had got from Costco on a warranty replacement. So, no additional warranty left. The battery was apparently leaking per the towing service guy. It was occasionally acting up and the car would not start. We thought it was the key fobs and replaced those batteries. But then last week I was sitting in the parking lot with the engine off and listening to the radio. Within an hour the car would not start. My wife brought the other key fob thinking it was that but would not start either.

The tow service guy jumped the vehicle and said your battery is gone, and it's leaking. Since it was late evening, I just needed the jump and drove it home. The next day, I thought the car would not start.

To my surprise it started and drove to Walmart auto service center and replaced it with an Ever start Ever Maxx 35 group battery with a three-year warranty. So far so good and hopefully it lasts. After they installed it, I sprayed the terminals with the CRC terminal spray protector.

We are in sunny south Florida, and the weather probably takes a toll on these batteries. Anyone has used the Everstart Evermaxx batteries on their CX-5?

Last edited:
Florida should be pretty mild on the battery.

Few tips:

- Don't idle excessively
- Try to avoid using electronics when the vehicle is off
- ensure the battery terminals stay clean.

I use a trickle charger, because my battery is old, typically when the weather falls below freezing here in canada.

I'd say Florida is worse on batteries due to the high temps.
Both extremes are bad, but hot is worse.
Cold temps cause lower cranking power, but high temps are more likely to damage the battery.

I've used Everstart batteries a few times, including motorcycle and one of my vehicles. They performed just as well and lasted as long as the more expensive brands.

Florida should be pretty mild on the battery.

Few tips:

- Don't idle excessively
- Try to avoid using electronics when the vehicle is off
- ensure the battery terminals stay clean.

I use a trickle charger, because my battery is old, typically when the weather falls below freezing here in canada.
So, I had Walmart install the 640 CCA battery. There was the 525 CCA battery that was also compatible with the CX-5 but went with the higher CCA battery. I suppose for Florida I could have gone with the 525 one. With the 640 CCA it's a 3-year warranty and for 525 it's 2 years.

I must have some really good luck when it comes to car batteries. I'm still on the original in my CX and it's still going strong.

I recently consulted the great internet about people's experiences with different batteries and it's a big mishmash as expected. One thing that surfaced a few times was that Costco tightened up the warranty and that their Interstate branded batteries were having early failures compared to a few years ago. Some of Walmart's Everstart batteries the same thing with batteries failing within 1 or 2 years. Last week while shopping at Costco I decided to inspect their Interstate batteries (green housing) and couldn't find country of origin listed anywhere. Auto department employee couldn't tell me and searched computer with no luck.
But there was one(1) battery on the rack that was different. It was their AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery with a dark gray housing. A small label stated "made in Germany" it was naturally more expensive being that it was AGM. I'm guessing it was made by Varta which I take to be a good thing. The employee said the AGM's were hot sellers. Perusing Walmart's website, they offer an AGM made in Germany for about the same price.
I'm also seeing that batteries are being made in Korea as well (not at Costco).
Going back to AGM does anyone know if it's a bad thing to put an AGM in a vehicle that came with lead acid battery. Reason being that supposedly AGM has a different charging "profile" (requires higher voltage) than lead acid and would never get fully charged in a lower voltage charging system algorithm in lead-acid vehicle.
As for good batteries, although anecdotal, an employee at Advance Auto, who had worked at O'Reilly Auto, said that the OR "Superstart" batteries rarely came back. These were/still are made by East Penn/ Deka and EP/Deka has a good reputation. The employee said that more DieHard batteries came back to Advance than they ever saw compared to Superstart being returned to OR. This wasn't surprising since Sears sold the DieHard name which was legendary for reliable, long lasting batteries and I don't think they are the same anymore.
Overall, regardless of brand, it appears that batteries bought 6,8,10 years ago had longer lifespans than the same brand purchased in the last 2,3 or 4 years. Take that for what it's worth.
It's confusing trying to sift through this subject but I plan to have a (hopefully) reliable brand nailed down for when the time comes. I should add that I have an O'Reilly Superstart Premium battery that's over 4 years old and has been good so far. I chose it because of the maker's (East Penn /Deka) reputation back then and hopefully it will continue when the next battery is needed. Things change.
Don't know if this thread will lead to a battery discussion, but maybe a "sticky" could be instituted with members experiences.

Last edited:
Lithium (LiFePO4, safer) car battery is getting traction in Asia.
Lasts 10+ yrs, auto-cutoff to save last 10% juice (never get stranded), etc...
Much lighter, but cost 2-3X more. Cost will come down soon.
Some supercars have them from factories to reduce weight.

e.g.

Costco in Canada at least has 3 year warranty. After that its prorated. For example I had a 4 year old kirkland die and I got 50% my money back at Costco to buy a new one. Hard to beat. Had it been 3 years old it would have been full on replacement.

Back