help!! why i should get a protege5...

i just totaled my accord and now i want to get a p5.. my dad wants me to get another accord because of how safe they are(i was t-boned and although i was air-vac'ed, i only had a concusion and was home the same day). he also said something about a saturn (sad2) !! i need help fast on reasons to tell him for me getting a 5 (i.e: crash test ratings, dependability, etc.)!

Personally I had a saturn and my mom has a 2001 accord. I switched to a P5 because I needed a newer vehicle. I chose a P5 because of the reviews I had read. Like Car and Driver gives it good reviews, saying it is a fun car to drive (they are most definately correct). As for safety reasons, well my dad wanted me to get a car with ABS for insurance reasons, (knocks about $150 - 200 every 6 mths off my insurance). Because of the way that Mazda packaged their cars if you get one with ABS it means you get side airbags (another insurance bonus). So insurance wise if you get a P5 with ABS you should be sitting a lot better. As for safety, it is a compact car, and it does as good as any compact car.

the P5 is very crash worthy I have seen a few roll many times and the driver walked away

wow, well, 1st off, welcome to the forums (hi)

and that sucks about the accident....butglad to hear you are doing just fine!

since the saturn is automatically ruled out...just get the 5 :p, hehe i really dont have any hard facts for ya, im sure someone else on here will
just by lookin through the forums, you should be able to tell that there are almost zero problems with it...at least nothing that i have noticed, but i have a sedan, not a 5 :p

P5 got a 5-star rating for driver safety and a 4-start for passenger.

-from edmunds.com

i had a head on crash and walked away...it was about 30mph......and i know someone who rolled it and walked away ...safe car

Versus the Saturn, the P5 is more reliable and safer. It also doesn't feel as cheap. It probably devalues slower since it is more reliable and Japanese. Find info from places like edmunds, consumerguides, or best of all consumer reports, and use that to make the argument to your father. (Consumer reports online costs $22 or so, but if you want the P5 and not the Saturn then $22 is cheap as ****. It beyond pays for itself just for learning about models.)

If I were your father I'd buy you a Corolla, as long as you were under 6' tall. The build quality is outstanding, the ride is really smooth and quiet. You should not hear a single rattle. According to reviews they actually accelerate faster than the P5 (though I'm not getting into this - ya'll know the P5 is not a drag car.) Not as fun or sexy, but if I were your Dad it would just be tough luck. ;)

I T boned a f350 doing 30 and i walked away with no injuries, just a headache. The p5 is an wesome car.
-Ryan

MLecl0001 said:
I switched to a P5 because I needed a newer vehicle.
LOL!

From Merriam Webster...

Main Entry: <SUP>2</SUP>need
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): needed; needing; needs or (auxiliary) need
intransitive senses
1 : to require as a necessity

Main Entry: <SUP>1</SUP>want
Pronunciation: <TT>'wont also 'wnt & 'w&nt</TT>
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse vanta; akin to Old English wan deficient
2 a : to have a strong desire for <wanted a chance to rest>

Just wanted to clear up the difference between the two! (not trying to be rude!) :D

tell ur dad my 4 friends had miata, all had accidents, and in every accident the hitter got totalled but nothing happened to miatas.. mazdas are very strong..

thanks guys.

just wanted to say thanks.. i had already been researching edmunds and the insurance institute website as well as a few others for reviews.. and i have two friends with protege sedans.. so that made a pretty good case.. now i just gotta find one that i can afford.. im pretty broke right now after having to pay the deductbles for my helicopter ride and to the car insurance place.. but they're giving me $8700 for my car so i just got a little bit to go.. the local dealership has a red 5 for $11,500 with 50,000 on it. its decently clean. i just dont want to let it slip away from me. I ususally dont like red cars at all but i fell in love with this one as soon as i saw/drove it.

I just recently traded in my 2003.5 P5 for an 04 S2000. But for those 11 months I owned the P5, I must say it was the best "bang for your buck" car between $15-$20K. Great styling, great handling, lots of room, very reliable, tons of standard features............. I must say, out of all the cars I've owned, the P5 is the only one that I got attached to (and I've owned much nicer cars than the P5).

cullen4540 said:
just wanted to say thanks.. i had already been researching edmunds and the insurance institute website as well as a few others for reviews.. and i have two friends with protege sedans.. so that made a pretty good case.. now i just gotta find one that i can afford.. im pretty broke right now after having to pay the deductbles for my helicopter ride and to the car insurance place.. but they're giving me $8700 for my car so i just got a little bit to go.. the local dealership has a red 5 for $11,500 with 50,000 on it. its decently clean. i just dont want to let it slip away from me. I ususally dont like red cars at all but i fell in love with this one as soon as i saw/drove it.
You can do better. I would have sold you my 03.5 with 13,000 miles, with every option available for $12,500.

yea, for 11,5 it should have much fewer miles... that car's probably worth about 10

You can do better. I would have sold you my 03.5 with 13,000 miles, with every option available for $12,500.
Agreed my mom just picked up a nearly loaded ATX P5(no ABS side airbags nor leather) for 15k new. You should be able to get a much lower mileage P5 for 10-12k fairly easily.

$11,500 is too much for that car. Lower mileage would be OK at that price, with options.

Have you considered the Protege sedan? They run a lot cheaper. You could do well for yourself on $9500.

You are never going to luck out on car prices, you always have to play the game. Whoever has the better alternative options, and wants them, wins. If you fall in love with the car you give them ALL of the leverage and you'll end up with a hole in your pocket. If there aren't any good deals in the market and you can possibly afford to wait, you should wait instead of taking a raw deal.

The resemblance to relationships is uncanny, I know. =)

It depends on the kind of shape it's in and the options also. $10k is a lowball if the car is in top shape and loaded.

I'm selling mine! 2003.5 midnight blue 5-speed base no sunroof. 8k miles in a couple weeks. Make an offer!!

Back