Buying a Protege5, possible VTCS issue?

jawn

2002 Mazda Protege5 5MT
:
Annapolis, MD
:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I know this has probably been asked about a billion times, if this is not allowed please delete. first post.

Buying a protege5 soon, dark blue, 144k miles, 5spd manual, flawless shape with no rust at all (hardly even any surface rust on the suspension) the engine is bone dry, recent timing belt, etc…

Noticed a slight almost knocking noise on a cold start. it send away after a second or 2 and i could not replicate it after until it started completely cold after sitting a little while.

After some research i’m lead to believe that it could be 3 things;
1: VTCS issue of some sort causing a rattle on startup
2: the engine is ACTUALLY knocking on startup (starting dry)
3: flywheel chatter?

My main question is on the VTCS system. i’m told a VtCS delete will make a rough idle and laggy acceleration until it’s warm. does this rattle indicate a genuine problem? how harmful is this, and what can i do to fix it? or does it even need to be fixed?

Any help/advice is appreciated. if there’s already a good thread on this please help to redirect me!

It isn't that hard to remove the intake manifold to find out if it actually is the VTCS. If its just a rattle, could be the VTCS butterflies loose on the shaft. Easiest way to delete the system is just to remove the plates and leave the shaft and everything else in place.

It isn't that hard to remove the intake manifold to find out if it actually is the VTCS. If its just a rattle, could be the VTCS butterflies loose on the shaft. Easiest way to delete the system is just to remove the plates and leave the shaft and everything else in place.
got it. what are the pros/cons of removing the system? is it worth deleting or fixing?

I would have to go back in my logs to see if I had any record of what I did on my Protege... I know I swapped over to an MP3 ECU. (the MP3 didn't have the VTCS system) But, I can't remember if I removed the whole system or not. I am pretty sure I removed the butterflies, though.

Can't say you'll notice much difference with the butterflies removed running the OEM Protege ECU. You can leave the whole system in tact, and just remove the butterflies from the shaft, and leave the shaft in place, too.

Here is an old thread for VTCS removal...

When you get into the manifold, the VTCS are the butterflies at the head ports, and the VICS butterflies are the ones inside the intake manifold. Leave the VICS butterflies alone!

I would have to go back in my logs to see if I had any record of what I did on my Protege... I know I swapped over to an MP3 ECU. (the MP3 didn't have the VTCS system) But, I can't remember if I removed the whole system or not. I am pretty sure I removed the butterflies, though.

Can't say you'll notice much difference with the butterflies removed running the OEM Protege ECU. You can leave the whole system in tact, and just remove the butterflies from the shaft, and leave the shaft in place, too.
that’s the plan. not looking for a power gain or anything, just want to get rid of the issue

Here is an old thread for VTCS removal...

When you get into the manifold, the VTCS are the butterflies at the head ports, and the VICS butterflies are the ones inside the intake manifold. Leave the VICS butterflies alone!
got it. but i do want to put loctite on the vics screws, correct?

got it. but i do want to put loctite on the vics screws, correct?
If you will be fully opening the manifold to check it all out, I would most definitely add some Loctite tot he VICS screws.

Back