Help me decide: CX9 or Mazda 5

goacom

I cant make up my mind! I was an owner of the previous 5 and am in the market for a new car. Drove the new 5 and was underwhelmed. It they had a stick in the touring or grand touring versions, it would have been a no brainer for me. The auto felt ho hum. Familiar but boring.

The performance of the CX9 felt much better - but there is no denying that it is bigger car and feels it. Also, it is a "different" experience as the new 5 is a very similar to the old model. Just no surprises in the 5. Also, because of ongoing promotions, I can get a top of the line version for much below invoice. However price is a secondary issue.

In terms of space, I need space for 6, so the Mazda 5 suites my needs. I just find it so boring!

Help!

Well...since you're in the 9 forum, you get my vote for a 9.

However, you're comparing apples to oranges....:p

I bought the 9 to fit 4 of us to make long trips, etc maybe fit another person or 2 if needed when family is in town or what have you. I can't imagine 6 people in the Mazda 5. I believe the CX-9 third row is much more accomidating than the 5, and with people in the 3rd row, I believe the CX-9 still has a good bit more room in back of the 3rd row too.

You will spend less on Gas with the 5, but the CX-9 is larger, is safer, has a very good transmission, a better overall vehicle. Go for it!

Our old 5 was quite versatile. We made several long trips with 4 adults and 2 kids and luggage. It was always a tight squeeze, but we survived :)

However, I am ready for a change and am almost sold on getting a CX 9. Right now, I can get a 2011 FWD Touring (Dolphin grey) with the moon roof/bose/power lift gate for $30,600 after incentives and 0% financing, or around $30,000 if I pay with cash. MSRP is around $34.7 and invoice is around 32K. Do you folks think this is a good deal? I am also considering getting Mazda's 72month/75K miles warranty for an additional $1390. This effectively doubles Mazda's normal bumper to bumper 36mo/36K mi warranty. This is Mazda's manufacturer warranty, not a fly by night 3rd party deal. Should I get it? I paid much more than this to cover issues related to my air bag, an engine mount and a thermostat during the last year of my Mazda 5.

I was cross-shopping them too. Decision was made for me when I took my wife and kids to the Mazda dealer to show them both and the 5 was immediately vetoed by all 3 of them. So we got a CX9!

Our old 5 was quite versatile. We made several long trips with 4 adults and 2 kids and luggage. It was always a tight squeeze, but we survived :)

However, I am ready for a change and am almost sold on getting a CX 9. Right now, I can get a 2011 FWD Touring (Dolphin grey) with the moon roof/bose/power lift gate for $30,600 after incentives and 0% financing, or around $30,000 if I pay with cash. MSRP is around $34.7 and invoice is around 32K. Do you folks think this is a good deal? I am also considering getting Mazda's 72month/75K miles warranty for an additional $1390. This effectively doubles Mazda's normal bumper to bumper 36mo/36K mi warranty. This is Mazda's manufacturer warranty, not a fly by night 3rd party deal. Should I get it? I paid much more than this to cover issues related to my air bag, an engine mount and a thermostat during the last year of my Mazda 5.

I got the same equipment but on an AWD (same color too which is very nice btw) for about $1K more than that. So you might be able to do better. Best to close it on the last few days of a month or quarter - which means TODAY!!

If the 5 did everything I needed I would get it. It doesn't so I have a CX-9. As for the price, seems a little steep for that warranty but it depends on your deductible. I got a 7yr/100K MEPP for about $150 less than that but I have a $100 deductible. You can get this warranty by going directly to the company that underwrites the policies (contact information on Mazda's website) and avoid dealer markups. You should at least call to see what their price is.

Went from a Mazda 5 gt to cx9 gt. I've never looked back. My wife however misses it but she is frugal. But you really can't expect great mileage of a heavy awd vehicle. The only thing I liked on the 5 is the convenience of the sliding doors. Great for parking lots. I never used the sunroof on it. My cx9 has the RES for the kids. 3rd row is way better in the cx9. The additional horsepower is very welcoming too.

Back