Help! Having trouble diagnosing this one...

Well, I just isolated the problem by taking the BPV out of the equation. Same issue. Must be the wastegate door.

Well, taking the turbo out wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be, and it looks like I've found my problem. At least it looks pretty serious to me. I'll post a pic just as soon as I figure out how to do that.

IMG_0010.JPG

Upon closer inspection of that hole, it's nothing more than the threads being machined too far into the casting. The hole doesn't actually go into the cartridge, just the threads for the oil return line. So still no real idea of what's wrong with this thing.

Yeah, I obviously don't anything with certainty unless I were to crack open the turbine housing, but just moving the little arm that the actuator attaches to makes me think it's working properly.
Yes, you can move it freely but what I believe is happening is that the inner flap is not fully closing because its hitting the side of the housing.

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread. In gears 1-3, I can't get the car to boost more than 3psi, though it seems to spool up to 8psi in 4th gear at highway speeds. I'm leaning towards the wastegate flap getting stuck against the side of the S-pipe, because this problem reared its ugly head after I switched back to the stock S-pipe when my corksport S-pipe cracked.

Does anybody think the problem could possibly be an exhaust leak caused by a blown exhaust manifold gasket that fits between the head and the turbo manifold?

I actually blew my exhaust manifold gasket last Monday, and let me tell you, it kills power. But if it were blown, you'd know. You'd be able to see exhaust gases creeping out of the manifold at idle, and it would make some pretty stellar noise under load. That's an easy fix, too, the gasket is only $21 from the dealer, and it's easy to install.

I just played with the wastegate flap, and I could definitely make it get stuck on the little ridge between it's seat and the housing wall. I think if I dremel off a little material there and make some clearance, I'll be in business!

Back