Help? Boost goes to 6psi...

ayang89

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1827
Sometimes. or sometimes it just sits at 5psi.

Or even sometimes it'll go to 6 when fully floored, then drops to 5.

safe mode?

I have a Turbosmart boost controller. The black T one.
I kept turning it up to turn up the boost, locking it, but my boost still sits at either 5 or 6.

I have a boost gauge. Sits sometimes at -19 or very close to -20. When driving on freeway and i let go of gas it goes to -20 to -22.

Blew into hose that connects to my waste-gate, got a headache ( air didn't pass through at all )
I checked for vacuum leaks but none are found.
Checks couplings and there all tight.

Forge Bypass valve

I do have a intake filter on the stock intake plastic piping. ( bought the car like that )

I changed the spark plugs gapped to .028-.032

NO Check Engine Lights

I have a full aftermarket exhaust with a cat delete and the non-fouler trick.
Replaced Primary One o2 sensor.

My turbo seems to be leaking oil SLOWLY. ( seal probably, slight blue on cold start for a minute then goes away )

Im all out of ideas.

could it be that maybe my wastegate isn't letting me turn it up more?

or is my boost controller crap?

Disconnect the boost controller and run on the wastegate alone to find out what your wastegate is at. My understanding of boost crontrollers is they can only double wastegate pressure.

I'll have to try that. Gotta go get a long enough hose though. But isn't the stock psi 6.9?

Check to see if the bushing for your wastegate flapper arm has worked its way out of the turbo. There is a tread about it somewhere around here. It is a common problem. The bushing is pressed in and it slowly gets pushed out over time. If it has worked it's way out further than it should be, the internal wastegate flapper will not close all the way. This will cause the car to build boost slowly and boost will be limited.

I'll have to try that. Gotta go get a long enough hose though. But isn't the stock psi 6.9?

The factory supplied WGA arm was threaded and adjustable. Seems like there was a wide variance in adjustments at the port prior to delivery. Some had more and others had less.

Your Vac readings suggest a normal engine. What does your boost psi read and hold when you punch it in 3 rd gear?

The factory supplied WGA arm was threaded and adjustable. Seems like there was a wide variance in adjustments at the port prior to delivery. Some had more and others had less.

Your Vac readings suggest a normal engine. What does your boost psi read and hold when you punch it in 3 rd gear?

6 then drops to 5.

That is normal, you should remove the boost controller and see how it runs. Manual boost controllers aren't a good idea with a stock motor anyway, especially if you are cranking it up. Honestly that vac is a little low it should be ~-21inHg at least but it depends on the health and compression of the motor.

That is normal, you should remove the boost controller and see how it runs. Manual boost controllers aren't a good idea with a stock motor anyway, especially if you are cranking it up. Honestly that vac is a little low it should be ~-21inHg at least but it depends on the health and compression of the motor.

Still haven't ran to the store to get a long enough hose yet. Why would there be a difference? I'm Lost.

There are many factors at play for vac readings. Which is why an acceptable range is provided versus one flat reading. Yours is 100% normal given your elevation and atmospheric conditions. Also some gauges read lower than others. There's nothing wrong with running a properly functioning and installed MBC on a stock motor. I've put over 332,000 miles on factory Mazda engine blocks with increased boost with MBCs.

My stock wastegate would only boost between 4 and 5 psi. The most I was able to squeeze out with a manual boost controller was 9 psi. I'm using a grimspeed manual boost controller by the way.

My stock wastegate would only boost between 4 and 5 psi. The most I was able to squeeze out with a manual boost controller was 9 psi. I'm using a grimspeed manual boost controller by the way.

I'd be happy even to get 8.

Back