Has Anyone Removed the Shield from the Fuel Tank?

mtnbiker26

Bike Geek
My gas tank appears to be leaking. I checked the top of the tank around the fuel pump and I got under the car and looked around the sides of the tank but it's all dry. The only wet spots are around the little louver slits in the shield thing under the tank so I suspect the tank has a small leak in the bottom. I'm thinking about cutting off the shield so I can see the tank but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea. Any input?

I replaced my gas tank shield last year because it rusted in half. It was a PITA because the tank and shield are held on by the same bolts, so I had to change out two bolts at a time.

I don't think the shield is all that important but it does give the tank a bit of protection. Mine rusted in half right above the exhaust and I was worried about too much heat directly on the tank.

If I were you, I'd go at it with a tin snips and just cut away enough to get to the leak.

Our gas tanks appear to be coated in plastic except for the top and seams. I'm guessing yours is probably leaking at a seam where the rust creeped through into the tank.

I managed to use a soldering gun on a leaking tank and it worked great,... don't use any open flame though (I tried it and set my tank on fire).

There is a special glue called "Seal All" that even lists sealing gas tanks on the label, but solder is the best.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of partially cutting away the shield. I was planning to just use a cut-off wheel around the bolts to remove the whole shield and leave the tank in place. I have tin snips so I'll try just cutting away a little and see how it goes.

Back