Has anyone had their seat foam altered?

there was a joke or may be not so much a joke but the seat designers on the gen2 that Mazda used were slim japanese women. There is even a video somewhere Mazda advertising this and saying they focused on best seat design, etc.
So this may explain it. The average japanese is most likely smaller than the average western european or american person.
And looking at the gen3 cx5 2022 it seems they stick with the same seat design. Only the cx50 have the bigger seats most likely from the cx9.
The seats are the biggest complain on the CX5 gen2.

To 2016.5.

Are the bucket seats different between 16 & 16.5?

I have back issues and find the 16.5 seats comfortable for long trips. 6’2” and very large lol.

I too found the 2016 CX-5 driver's seat to be very comfortable during 8+ hour driving days.
In fact, 5.5 years ago my wife bought a CX-5 and a month later I bought the same model for myself. Back then I was doing three road trips per year of 1,200 miles each and learned that the CX-5 got rid of the sciatica and back pain my previous cars had caused.

there was a joke or may be not so much a joke but the seat designers on the gen2 that Mazda used were slim japanese women. There is even a video somewhere Mazda advertising this and saying they focused on best seat design, etc.
So this may explain it. The average japanese is most likely smaller than the average western european or american person.
I'm sure that's probably the case.

I had mine altered but the new 2022 CX5 has had the seats changed. It now comes with a CX30 seat which they claim has solved the issue.

Attachments

• 323724C9-76F4-4BBC-AB5C-5423BA18C2C6.jpeg
    323724C9-76F4-4BBC-AB5C-5423BA18C2C6.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 27B8EB56-F1C7-4D04-8B60-57D2B96930CE.png
    27B8EB56-F1C7-4D04-8B60-57D2B96930CE.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 208
I had mine altered but the new 2022 CX5 has had the seats changed. It now comes with a CX30 seat which they claim has solved the issue.
I'm eager to do a test-drive in a 2022 CX-5. My 2 main issues with my 2020 CX-5 GT are the smaller infotainment screen and the uncomfortable driver's seat. If they fix the seat issue in the 2022s, then since I only have about 7.5K miles on my 2020, I might look into trading up somehow. I was shocked to see that 2 years later my CX-5 is apparently worth almost exactly what I paid for it. It would be awesome if I could trade up at minimal cost.

⋯ I was shocked to see that 2 years later my CX-5 is apparently worth almost exactly what I paid for it. It would be awesome if I could trade up at minimal cost.
Yes. I paid $13,000 for my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA with 3,000 miles on the odometer in 2019. Almost 3 years later now I have to pay $20,000 for an exact 2018 Toyota Yaris iA with 40,000 ~ 50,000 miles!

It’s a catch-22 situation. Yes the trade-in value is unbelievable right now, so as the new car price. You’re lucky if you can buy a popular new car for MSRP, as most likely there’s a “market adjustment” for additional $3,000 ~ $8,000. Just yesterday I talked to a sales manager for a new in-coming 2021 Toyota Venza LE. He said there’s a $3,000 “market adjustment” been added by the middleman Gulf States Toyota, which brings the price up to $37,000. He also said once the car arrives to his dealership in few days, they will add another $2.500 for additional dealer-installed accessories! No discounts can be negotiated.

I'm eager to do a test-drive in a 2022 CX-5. My 2 main issues with my 2020 CX-5 GT are the smaller infotainment screen and the uncomfortable driver's seat. If they fix the seat issue in the 2022s, then since I only have about 7.5K miles on my 2020, I might look into trading up somehow. I was shocked to see that 2 years later my CX-5 is apparently worth almost exactly what I paid for it. It would be awesome if I could trade up at minimal cost.

Very interesting. I'll have to see what ours would be worth if we traded up; we got a decent deal on it originally.

Looks like those are heated, are they ventilated too? Doesn't look like it but not sure. How much did it cost and were you happy with the results?

Looks like those are heated, are they ventilated too? Doesn't look like it but not sure. How much did it cost and were you happy with the results?
I’m in the UK but in dollars, about 200. It is a heated only seat but the ventilated seats have the same bolsters. It did improve the comfort but I’ve got a 22 on order and I’m hopeful that is comfortable straight out of the box.

In the hopes of better illustrating the issue, I made some edits to a 2021 CX-5 seat picture to highlight the parts of the seat that people may find uncomfortable. I'm hoping that this helps provide some clarity to existing owners (seeing that other owners are experiencing issues in the same areas) and potential buyers (getting an idea of what to expect before actually being able to test drive the car, especially with limited availability in the current climate).

This picture is of a 2021 CX-5 interior (apparently the 2022 gets redesigned seats). If you are/were having comfort issues with your seats, quote this image and state which areas are most uncomfortable to you. Some extra info that might be helpful is listing your build/weight, but only if you are comfortable doing so.

In the off chance that Mazda sees this, they will at least have some easy-to-interpret data from actual owners (past and present) that they might be able to utilize and consider in future models.

2021_cx-5_usa_lhd_c3_in_front.jpg

A: Headrests
B: Upper back: Middle
C: Shoulder bolsters
D: Side bolsters
E: Lumbar area
F: Armrest
G: Seat bottom bolsters
H: Seat bottom
I: Thigh support
J: Length of seat bottom (lack of thigh support)
K: Center console

It appears that the majority of people who have issues are dealing with discomfort in areas G and/or H.

*sorry for the low quality edit, Photoshop is bugging out for me at the moment so I had to use Paint to make the edits 😅

Last edited:
In the hopes of better illustrating the issue, I made some edits to a 2021 CX-5 seat picture to highlight the parts of the seat that people may find uncomfortable. I'm hoping that this helps provide some clarity to existing owners (seeing that other owners are experiencing issues in the same areas) and potential buyers (getting an idea of what to expect before actually being able to test drive the car, especially with limited availability in the current climate).

This picture is of a 2021 CX-5 interior (apparently the 2022 gets redesigned seats). If you are/were having comfort issues with your seats, quote this image and state which areas are most uncomfortable to you. Some extra info that might be helpful is listing your build/weight, but only if you are comfortable doing so.

In the off chance that Mazda sees this, they will at least have some easy-to-interpret data from actual owners (past and present) that they might be able to utilize and consider in future models.

View attachment 306316

A: Upper back: Middle
B: Shoulder bolsters
C: Side bolsters
D: Lumbar area
E: Seat bottom bolsters
F: Seat bottom
G: Thigh support
H: Length of seat bottom (lack of thigh support)

It appears that the majority of people who have issues are dealing with discomfort in areas E and/or F.

*sorry for the low quality edit, Photoshop is bugging out for me at the moment so I had to use Paint to make the edits 😅
Thanks for doing this. I thought most complaints are toward narrow seating surface and hard seat bottom outside bolster making is difficult to access in and out.

My immediate complaint to gen-1 front seats is the headrest is too much forward and it took me and wife a while to get used to it.

Thanks for doing this. I thought most complaints are toward narrow seating surface and hard seat bottom outside bolster making is difficult to access in and out.

My immediate complaint to gen-1 front seats is the headrest is too much forward and it took me and wife a while to get used to it.

Yes, I realized after the fact that I forgot to include the headrests as a possible point of discomfort. I'll update the picture with a new edit.

*added headrests, as well as armrest and center console.

Last edited:
G the bolster and on the drivers seat :)
dont know what kind of plastic they put inside but its hard as a rock.
I get the idea why. They want to make the seat last longer as that part is most abused part from enter exit. Still whoever thought to make it so hard did not think it through properly.

Yes, I realized after the fact that I forgot to include the headrests as a possible point of discomfort. I'll update the picture with a new edit.

*added headrests, as well as armrest and center console.
Headrests are not headrests. They are head restraints designed to prevent or minimize whiplash in a rear end crash. From the standpoint of reclining and napping in the front passenger seat, in every vehicle I can recall including this one they have been a just a bit too far back for my comfort. But that is not their purpose.

On the subject of lumbar adjustment, in every car I can remember including this one, and in my power recliner in front of the TV set, the bump-out is too high on my back for my comfort, above the lumbar region in fact. Consequently, I've never had a car or chair where I would use it.

On the whole, I find my CX-5 seats to be quite comfortable, better than any car I've owned as far back as I can recall. With lower right back issues, I find my right leg can go longer that in other cars without going numb when cruise control is not being used.

I am evidently not alone in my favorable assessment. Consumer Reports reviewers give both the front and rear seats a 4 out of 5 for comfort. Judging from the road tests, they reviewed both lower and upper trims for a blended rating. I would not rule out differences between the base seats in my vehicle and the leather seats in upper trims.

For my comfort and relative to other vehicles I would not change a thing given unintended consequences, 5 out of 5 from my perspective given the inherent one-size-fits-all attempt. Then again, I already own the car so what happens going forward is for prospective buyers to consider or for those modifying the seats with their own possible unintended consequences.

In the final analysis, one size cannot fit all, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the final analysis, one size cannot fit all, different strokes for different folks.

I've driven with1st generation (2016) and 2nd generation (2019 and 2021) CX-5 seats.
My take is the 2016 seats were significantly firmer, which is a good thing because after a year or more of use the firm seats remain firm and supportive. The 2nd generation CX-5 seats are not bad, they're just softer than the previous generation.

I've driven with1st generation (2016) and 2nd generation (2019 and 2021) CX-5 seats.
My take is the 2016 seats were significantly firmer, which is a good thing because after a year or more of use the firm seats remain firm and supportive. The 2nd generation CX-5 seats are not bad, they're just softer than the previous generation.
At the same time there are complaints that 2nd. gen seats are too firm. Different strokes....

Headrests are not headrests. They are head restraints designed to prevent or minimize whiplash in a rear end crash. From the standpoint of reclining and napping in the front passenger seat, in every vehicle I can recall including this one they have been a just a bit too far back for my comfort. But that is not their purpose.

Thanks, I'm well aware of what they're for. I don't actually rest my head against mine for the most part, and I have no issue with their positioning - but that doesn't mean that others don't have issues with theirs, when they are adjusted properly for their seating positions.

Of course. The point of this was not to criticize or defend the seats, it's just to gather information from those who do have problems. At the end of the day, a prospective buyer's best bet is to take the vehicle on an extended test drive to get a good feel for how comfortable the car is. When this isn't possible, information like this is helpful to have for reference.

Thanks, I'm well aware of what they're for. I don't actually rest my head against mine for the most part, and I have no issue with their positioning - but that doesn't mean that others don't have issues with theirs, when they are adjusted properly for their seating positions.
I can only repeat that they are not intended to be a head rest. If one happens to find that resting their head against them is uncomfortable that's beside the point. If one happens to find that comfortable it is a happy accident.
Of course. The point of this was not to criticize or defend the seats, it's just to gather information from those who do have problems. At the end of the day, a prospective buyer's best bet is to take the vehicle on an extended test drive to get a good feel for how comfortable the car is. When this isn't possible, information like this is helpful to have for reference.
The test drive is to the point, as limited as that may be. Some might find them uncomfortable right off the bat and regard that as a deal breaker. I think most would agree that barring that kind of initial assessment the proof in this pudding is beyond the reach of a test drive. It's pretty much a crap shoot unless you've had a loaner or a rental for a long drive.

This a highly individualistic matter. Individual assessments would be as much a red herring as a help to a prospective buyer. You say you did not intend to criticize or defend. Yet you only asked for complaints. I for one offered a positive review of my seats even if not asked and that probably is of no use to anyone except to say that one should not conclude for their particular use that any of a collection of complaints may be relevant.

The test drive is to the point, as limited as that may be. Some might find them uncomfortable right off the bat and regard that as a deal breaker. I think most would agree that barring that kind of initial assessment the proof in this pudding is beyond the reach of a test drive. It's pretty much a crap shoot unless you've had a loaner or a rental for a long drive.

This a highly individualistic matter. Individual assessments would be as much a red herring as a help to a prospective buyer. You say you did not intend to criticize or defend. Yet you only asked for complaints. I for one offered a positive review of my seats even if not asked and that probably is of no use to anyone except to say that one should not conclude for their particular use that any of a collection of complaints may be relevant.

If each area has a low number of reported problems, it probably comes down to differences in each reporting individual's anatomy or seating preference. If there is a higher number of problems reported in a specific area, it could be identified as an opportunity for improvement.

You don't think this exercise is useful, but others might. Test drives and extended test drives may not always be possible, so if multiple owners close to my build and weight all have issues with the shoulder bolsters, it's something that I would certainly pay a little more attention to. Some people like to have a little more info before rolling the dice.

If each area has a low number of reported problems, it probably comes down to differences in each reporting individual's anatomy or seating preference. If there is a higher number of problems reported in a specific area, it could be identified as an opportunity for improvement.
I reckoned that's where you were going with this.

These types of solicitations draw merely anecdotal complaints. Then there is the matter of the counter arguments and unintended consequences.

A commonly cited complaint is that the seats are too narrow. A second is that the bolsters are too firm which would be less of an issue or a non-issue if the seats were wider. A third is the seats are two firm, thus the discussion of adding padding.

It is hard to see how the seats can be widened. Maybe an inch each with a total redesign of the console and a narrowing of the storage compartment/armrest. It would seem wide bodied individuals need a wider vehicle. That's a non-starter. Maybe the CX-50 will add some body width and seat width to go with it, but judging from the pictures I would not count on it.

Softening the bolsters or adding more padding takes me to the unintended consequences and counter argument. Drivers such as myself like them just the way they are. The 4 out of 5 seat rating from Consumer Reports and no complaints from Car & Driver in their 10 out of 10 review would indicate I am not alone. You're not likely to get many people such as myself responding to your solicitation saying, "don't change them."

Some have observed, including myself, that the general design of the vehicle coming from an Asian mindset does not acknowledge the width of American bottoms. While the US is a primary market, these are global designs. In the end, seats cannot fit the wide range of body types, American or otherwise. The buyer has to find the vehicle that fits, not the other way around.

Another consideration is you are not differentiating the fabric seats, the faux leather and the actual leather seats. Do you assume they all have the same characteristics? I wouldn't.

Personally, I don't care what they do to the seats going forward. If my vehicle maintains the reliability I anticipate it will be many years before I trade it at which point it will be a blank slate analysis of the options. My Sienna trade will happen first and that replacement will be a vehicle larger than CX-5. This is my first Mazda and I'm far from married to the marque.

My comments relate to your methodology and the inherent limits of forums where the preponderance of threads relate to what is wrong and and far less about what is right. Assessment of seats in particular are idiosyncratic compounding the problem.

Back