gt3076r runing as of 9-28-07

built blocks are $5000 and there is no core charge as all we use are new blocks.

The stock motor comes with forged internals? They don't look too forged compared to the aftermarket ones you can get a hold of. They look pretty flimsy to me :(

i can tell you from experience pulling them apart, i do not feel anything outside of the crank is forged. the rods themselves are longer but not much thicker or wider than your average mazda protege rod. i have sent the internals out to a few people who have inspected them and said the pistons and rods are not forged.

built blocks are $5000 and there is no core charge as all we use are new blocks.

i can tell you from experience pulling them apart, i do not feel anything outside of the crank is forged. the rods themselves are longer but not much thicker or wider than your average mazda protege rod. i have sent the internals out to a few people who have inspected them and said the pistons and rods are not forged.

That's exactly what I figured..... I saw that picture you posted of the pauter rods and the pistons compared to stock........and it certainly did not look like the stocks were "forged" in any way, shape, or form. Which definitely explains people snapping them and blowing holes in their blocks with simply the STOCK turbo

Its definitely in my mindset to get forged internals before I upgrade to a turbo of any kind

"Key engine components include aluminum block and head construction with forged steel internal components crankshaft and connecting rods for long-lasting durability, while balance shafts help eliminate noise and vibration. A large air-to-air intercooler and direct fuel injection cool temperature inside the cylinder. "

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=24178&make_id=227

I know this is from the speed3 but it's the same engine - afik

Are you sure that the rods aren't forged? Is it possible they're just a weak-assed forging that can't handle the stresses? Perhaps the failures begin with the pistons which then begin to take out the rest of the engine. I'm not questioning, just curious.

how much boost?
what rpm?
what speed?

if you need a stock motor just to get it back to sellable status let me know i'll help you out. i have a fresh short block just sitting here. whatever your intentions are, i will take care of you.

Yes man, please i will contact you to see my options. i also want to go back to stock turbo. let me know to see if we can do buisness. thanx again ken!

Yes man, please i will contact you to see my options. i also want to go back to stock turbo. let me know to see if we can do buisness. thanx again ken!

If your gonna buy a forged block why hell would you back to the stock turbo?....Pull the triger again while the gun is still smoking bro....be the first to 11s!!!!(bowdown)

Just because one has a 'built' motor is absolutely no guarantee that you are safe.

Same would have happened with a built motor.

the same would not have happened with a built motor.

however its alot smarter to build a building starting with the basement than with the top floor.

This last quote of Kens is what I am trying to say, why spend all the money he did just to have a DISI paperweight.

but it happend! i dont care what i did wrong. I only care to get the car running right now!

"Key engine components include aluminum block and head construction with forged steel internal components crankshaft and connecting rods for long-lasting durability, while balance shafts help eliminate noise and vibration. A large air-to-air intercooler and direct fuel injection cool temperature inside the cylinder. "

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=24178&make_id=227

I know this is from the speed3 but it's the same engine - afik

Are you sure that the rods aren't forged? Is it possible they're just a weak-assed forging that can't handle the stresses? Perhaps the failures begin with the pistons which then begin to take out the rest of the engine. I'm not questioning, just curious.

sadly i am aware of the article. it comes from the same corporate mouth pieces who say the flywheels are interchangable between the turbo and non turbo 2.3. it still says to date on mazdausa's website you can use "mazdaspeed motorsports" flywheels on either 2.3 which is 110% not true.

the rods have casting patterns and casting marks on them. the pistons are definetely not forged. thats why i posted the pictures in two threads comparing stock to aftermarket. the rod is made of the same material as one i chunked out of my FS 2.0, and those are also cast.

pm me or call me any time. you have my cell phone number :)

sadly i am aware of the article. it comes from the same corporate mouth pieces who say the flywheels are interchangable between the turbo and non turbo 2.3. it still says to date on mazdausa's website you can use "mazdaspeed motorsports" flywheels on either 2.3 which is 110% not true.

the rods have casting patterns and casting marks on them. the pistons are definetely not forged. thats why i posted the pictures in two threads comparing stock to aftermarket. the rod is made of the same material as one i chunked out of my FS 2.0, and those are also cast.

Good (well, not good) to know.

Are there any other options for us with 'intact" short blocks? i.e.: rod/piston swap parts/labor?

Could you offer a service to where we can ship you our block and you swap in rods/pistons? Or would that not be worth it?

I'm really not looking forward to dropping 5k only to have my stock block becoming a door stop. There has got to be some happy middle ground here.

Thanks in advance.

Good (well, not good) to know.

Are there any other options for us with 'intact" short blocks? i.e.: rod/piston swap parts/labor?

Could you offer a service to where we can ship you our block and you swap in rods/pistons? Or would that not be worth it?

I'm really not looking forward to dropping 5k only to have my stock block becoming a door stop. There has got to be some happy middle ground here.

Thanks in advance.

Purchase everything separately and have your local Mazdatech do the work to build your current block bottom end. Unless you know how to use a cherry picker and pull the motor yourself and do all the work, it's going to be expensive regardless on just labor.

i looked at the stock rods compared to my pauters and i feel like i can break the stock ones with my teeth if i bit hard enuff. Its only a matter of time before these things break running over stock hp levels.

My Piston was cracked in half. The other half along with my rod was a pile of small scrap metal pieces.

I didnt believe it, but when i first joined this site someone posted that a mazda engineer said that these 2.3 DISI motors are good for about 350 flywheel horsepower (less then 300whp on an AWD car). Anything after that and they will break. Now im beginning to believe it.

Mike- Sorry about your motor man I know how it feels. I did some calculations and based on est. weight, your E/T and trap speed (12.8 @ 105mph), you were making in between 320-350whp and 380-420 flywheel hp based on 20% drivetrain loss. Thats alot of power.

Last edited:
i looked at the stock rods compared to my pauters and i feel like i can break the stock ones with my teeth if i bit hard enuff. Its only a matter of time before these things break running over stock hp levels.

My Piston was cracked in half. The other half along with my rod was a pile of small scrap metal pieces.

I didnt believe it, but when i first joined this site someone posted that a mazda engineer said that these 2.3 DISI motors are good for about 350 flywheel horsepower (less then 300whp on an AWD car). Anything after that and they will break. Now im beginning to believe it.

Mike- Sorry about your motor man I know how it feels. I did some calculations and based on est. weight, your E/T and trap speed (12.8 @ 105mph), you were making in between 320-350whp and 380-420 flywheel hp based on 20% drivetrain loss. Thats alot of power.

Your calculations are incorrect my friend....I ran a 12.9@107mph with 268whp. It run on the average 13.0-13.2 so if I can just hit a consistent 12.6-12.8 I would be quite satisfied.

Your calculations are incorrect my friend....I ran a 12.9@107mph with 268whp. It run on the average 13.0-13.2 so if I can just hit a consistent 12.6-12.8 I would be quite satisfied.

its estimated power and an estimated weight done by this calculator: http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/horsepower_calculator.htm, obviously it cant add factors like temperature, tire psi, 60ft times and thats why its an estimate.

Also the GT3076r flows alot more power and cfm then the gt3071r. And they only make similar power levels when the 3076r is operating on lower boost. After 22psi the 3076r shines and can make a little over 525hp at its maximum boost level

its estimated power and an estimated weight done by this calculator: http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/horsepower_calculator.htm, obviously it cant add factors like temperature, tire psi, 60ft times and thats why its an estimate.

Also the GT3076r flows alot more power and cfm then the gt3071r. And they only make similar power levels when the 3076r is operating on lower boost. After 22psi the 3076r shines and can make a little over 525hp at its maximum boost level

call me crazy, but thats why i will own a gt35r one day :) (stoned)

call me crazy, but thats why i will own a gt35r one day :) (stoned)

Me too brother man.........me too............ (drinks)

I'm going to forge the internals before I buy a gt35r though....... my friend had one on his STI and had to rebuild his engine, after he had a similar problem like mike :(

Back