Ground Clearance

Debbadoo12

:
2014 Mazda3s GT Hatch, 1999 Miata 10th Anniv Ed
It appears the ground clearance increased a bit over prior year models. I believe the ground clearance was only 4.7" on the 2013 and it is now 6.1". As I have a tendency to be a little careless running over stuff, I'm wondering if everyone feels this has been adequate, i.e. not scraping over speed bumps or curbs. My Honda Element was about 6.9", which was definitely adequate. My Subaru Outback has 8.5", which is actually a bit too much. I do drive a Miata, but I have to consciously be careful with it.

It's definitely a little less nerve-wracking than my first-gen one, which also had under 5 inches of ground clearance. I would scrape the front on curbs all the time. I was worried about the Leno-esque chin spoiler on this one, but the increased ground clearance is a huge help.

More han enough clearance IMHO. After driving my lowered miata around, this feels like an SUV, and the miata was only lowered by 1.5 inches

More han enough clearance IMHO. After driving my lowered miata around, this feels like an SUV, and the miata was only lowered by 1.5 inches

I agree, even if you don't have experience with lowered cars. If you need more ground clearance than what this car offers, you probably should be looking at a small crossover like the CX-5.

Yeah I'm surprised at how high this car rides. I thought it would be lower than that. My previous car, pontiac vibe, was pretty high too and it's almost the same with this car. I can only imagine how much better the car will handle when it's lowered :D

Back