Gas mileage question

We have just over 600 miles on the car now and averaging 27.1mpg with an avg speed of 31mph. So mostly city. I'm happy with the 27.1 BTW Touring FWD model.

Sounds similar. Except my average speed is about 20mph. That's an impressive figure for the petrol engine though.
The petrols are proving their worth.

Jump on Fuelly.com JockC. I'm a tad lonely with the only "2012" CX-5. I'd like to do a comparison between our almost identical models.
When did you pick up yours by the way. .

Picked mine up on 12th April in Sydney. I had to search the state for a diesel GT. It seems the higher than expected demand for the diesel version has made them very hard to get. I maintain an Excel spreadsheet for all my cars that records all fills, brands of fuel, price etc and it automatically graphs my usage and highlights and differences between different brands of fuel etc (very little). You're welcome to it if you want a copy. I'll take a look at fuelly.com also. I feel cheated that they call it the "2012" model in Australia when the same vehicle is the "2013" model in the USA!!!
EDIT. Fuelly.com updated. I note that their l/100k to MPG uses USA Gallons so my 7.3l/100k converts to 32.2mpg (European conversion is 38.7mpg). Fuelly (and Mazda247 users) need to be aware of these differences when comparing MPG figures.

Last edited:
i have about 1100miles on my car... my avg mpg has always been 24.5-24.9 all city driving... this is the only car i owned that was so accurate with the epa mpg that was listed... i drove a hyundai sonata hybrid before this.. and i got 25-28 in the city all the time when the epa mpg was 35 city... so i am really happy with the mpg in the cx-5...
i went on a 100 mile trip 95% hwy and got 29 mpg.. mazda really did a fantastic job with the skyactiv technology...

Last edited:
Stretched the legs of the diesel today. Lately I've been in stop start traffic and been getting terrible fuel economy.

In stop start traffic I was getting:
8L/100km, 29.4mpg, 35.3mpg (UK)

But the trip today was mainly 110km/h. Result was promising, getting closer to claimed.
6.1L/100km, 38.6mpg, 46.3mpg (UK)

Brilliant!!

Had my first hand-calculated MPG today - came out to just a tad over 30 MPG. The computer is about .4 MPG optimistic.

This seems great. I've been doing mixed driving and took two trips through some nearby country roads that have a lot of elevation changes. I wasn't trying to be fuel efficient, to be sure.

I've been babying this car and am at 38.6mpg in the morning with less traffic and 34 in the evening with more traffic. This is not highway but roads that are around 40-55mph zones and many stoplights with construction.

This is with the us version cx5 sport FWD with auto trans.

I've been babying this car and am at 38.6mpg in the morning with less traffic and 34 in the evening with more traffic. This is not highway but roads that are around 40-55mph zones and many stoplights with construction.

These are brilliant stats. You must not have a lead foot at all.

First tank,

we did 440km and I refuelled putting in 50l, about 11.4l/100 for 100% city driving with a lot of stops

not great but still a lot better than my previous Mitsubishi Outlander! So far I am happy since those will most probably improve a bit over time. :)

These are brilliant stats. You must not have a lead foot at all.

Coming from a 2.5L mazda3 that I drove aggressively this has been challenging but rewarding.

The best MPG i have achieved is 40mpg and that is on flat straight roads at 50mph cruise control, no stops. I cannot see how the epa only rates this car at 32mpg, it should be much higher.

Got my wife a 2012 sorrento about 6 months ago. that car is rated at 22 city 32 highway from epa. I can only get 32mpg at 50mph cruise. The same commute with same driving patterns as above where i get 38 in the mazda cx5 only achieves 27 in the kia.

We went on a road trip yesterday and put on about 180 km of highway driving. By my calculations we were getting about 49 mpg.

GS FWD/Auto

Jealous! We were celebrating when we got 37.3 on our back roads! It's a contest between me and my husband to see who gets the best stats - so far he's waaay in the lead.

Can anyone here from Canada get the mileage that Mazda Canada has been advertising? Or anybody from anywhere for that matter. The say it gets 50 mpg hwy and 37 city has any come even close.

Can anyone here from Canada get the mileage that Mazda Canada has been advertising? Or anybody from anywhere for that matter. The say it gets 50 mpg hwy and 37 city has any come even close.

Keep in mind that's not US mpg, but Imperial mpg.

Nice mileage is posititve but it does take the enjoy out of driving. I find myself obsessing trying to get the best possible mileage. I asked me wife how she was faring and she said "great, I'm getting over 10". I had to sensitively explain that the lower # of L/100 km, the better the mileage.

While I've been averaging around 8.5 to 9 L/100 km, I did manage to average 5.5 L/100 km during a feather-footed country drive on mostly 2 lane road going about 90 km/h. Certainly no spirited driving, but it was nice to see what the CX-5 is capable of.

I'm finding that the 6th gear with the MT does tend to bog down the CX-5 if you're not driving at least 100 km/h. Going up long inclines on a recent drive to Pennsylvania I found that I had to downshift to 5th if was not keeping the speed above 120 km/h.

just got 32.5 and 31.9 on my last two fill ups and that was mostly 70 mph interstate driving.

My daily commute is 110 miles round trip, all highway at 75mph. In the first 3 weeks I'm managing 30 to 31 mpg which includes up and down a 5000' mountain pass. I'm pleased.

just went on a 500 mile road trip from NYC to Boston. 90% highway and rest city. Using cruise control majority of the time goin about 70 mph. It came out to be around 33mpg. I was first shocked and didn't believe it. When I gased up in Boston with about quarter of a tank left, I had driven around 330 miles. Took 10 gallons to fill up. On th way home noticed same mileage. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the milage with the car being fully loaded with luggages. Can't beat this car = )

Just took two trips (same route, different directions) of about 280 miles. This is fairly mountainous terrain.

On the way down I had to deal with some fairly heavy crosswinds that really seemed to hurt the miles per gallon. Ended up at 31.1.

On the way back conditions were better and I obtained 34.5 MPG. This is including a 60 mile just-for-fun tear through some mountain roads, in which I wasn't remotely concerned about fuel economy. So I would have probably been at 36 MPG if I had no done that.

While the highway mileage is good, I think the suburban/city driving mileage is what's great. I'm getting about 31 MPG when I have to dawdle about at speeds between 25-45MPH with plenty of stop lights. My old 2.3L Focus would only do 25 MPG in the same conditions, and that's if I babied it.

Back