Gas mileage question

Yup, but it's pretty damn close to what's listed on mazdausa.com for the AWD GT: 25/31 (AWD)

Great, I did not notice that. I guess this means US government testing is a more accurate real world test than ours, until they change it at least.

Last edited:
We took a 500-mile trip over the past weekend to the north Georgia mountains, of which about 465 miles was interstate or 4-lane divided highway. Based on the gauge, we averaged 31.5 mpg but weather issues and the mountainous terrain probably dropped the mpg a bit. Still, pretty close to the 32 mpg/highway EPA estimate. Overall, the vehicle now has about 2400 miles on it and our combined mileage (about 65% highway/35% city) is right at 30.0. No complaints about that.

How did you feel the car performed in the hills?

Overall it did fine. There were a few occasions when I had the cruise control set and the car dropped gears and kicked into high revs while attempting to maintain the set speed going uphill. I've noticed this same event on other vehicles, particularly if the car is going 5 mph or more below the set speed as it begins the ascent, so it wasn't surprising but perhaps was more prevalent with the 4-cylinder engine than, say, in my 6-cylinder sedan. Handling-wise, the car performed very well. I really wanted to give it a test on some of the two-lane, curvy mountainous roads but my wife was with me and, to preserve the sanity of both of us, I drove it considerably more timidly than I otherwise would have.

I am more than pleased with my mileage so far.

GT/AWD on the east coast at low altitude. I live in DC and have been getting 27.5-29.5 mpg on my trip to work which is about 65% highway.

Recently I took at 330 mile round trip to a rural town in VA and back. On the way down, the computer read 32.6mpg (in the AWD too!). However, once I calculated it at fillup, I actually got 34.5mpg! I was very pleased. This trip was 95% highway and I kept it between 60-70. I'm pretty sure average speed read about 66 mph. On the return trip my girlfriend drove and she has a heavier foot than I. Needless to say, we got about 2 mpg less on our way home, still pretty good though.

I have hit advertised numbers and better. Will be taking a 1500 mile trip at the end of May and will post those results too. Shooting for 34 again!

I have hit advertised numbers and better. Will be taking a 1500 mile trip at the end of May and will post those results too. Shooting for 34 again!

Great hearing these reports.

Conversely, not yet getting the diesel to the quoted figures. I'm barely hitting 30mpg at the moment with mainly city stop-start driving.

Have had mine about a week, driven about 350 miles, just did my first fill-up. Computer shows an average of 34.3. Mostly highway and country backroads. Loving it!

I just picked up my CX-5 a few hours ago... I drove about 80KM on the highway and it was averaging 7.5L/100KM... the odometer now reads 113KM driven only.. (when I picket up the car at 27KM from the dealer).

I just picked up my CX-5 a few hours ago... I drove about 80KM on the highway and it was averaging 7.5L/100KM... the odometer now reads 113KM driven only.. (when I picket up the car at 27KM from the dealer).

That's what my average has finally got down to.... and it's taken me 1500km.... and worse still, I have the diesel.
Getting a tad jealous you petrol drivers are getting such good figures. Quite impressive.

Great hearing these reports.

Conversely, not yet getting the diesel to the quoted figures. I'm barely hitting 30mpg at the moment with mainly city stop-start driving.

I was very close to getting the Golf TDI instead and read that the Golf's diesel wasn't getting its best mileage until after about 9k miles. I wonder if it's the same for this engine...

I was very close to getting the Golf TDI instead and read that the Golf's diesel wasn't getting its best mileage until after about 9k miles. I wonder if it's the same for this engine...

I hope not. We'll see. It's come down quickly. 9.0L/100km at purchase, now down to 7.0L/100km. Very good for a vehicle this size and weight (diesel+AWD is the weight of two adults more than petrol+FWD).

Still searching for that optimum range as well. Right now I am averaging 9.3L/100kms with an odo of 1400 kms.

True what a poster said earlier, city driving kills your mpg avg.

My dealer specifically told us that you could expect the milage numbers to improve over time. He mentioned something about the Skyactiv thing. Though i have to admit it sounds like a bit of a catchall excuse, the evidence does seem to be pointing in that dissection... Our numbers are improving over the last few weeks.

My dealer specifically told us that you could expect the milage numbers to improve over time. He mentioned something about the Skyactiv thing. Though i have to admit it sounds like a bit of a catchall excuse, the evidence does seem to be pointing in that dissection... Our numbers are improving over the last few weeks.

I don't think this is unusual. I've seen people post similar experiences in other car forums. A lot of vehicles seem to see a bit of an increase after the first few thousand miles.

I don't think this is unusual. I've seen people post similar experiences in other car forums. A lot of vehicles seem to see a bit of an increase after the first few thousand miles.

I concur, I experienced it with my only new car purchase and have seen other forums talk about it as well. 3 tank averages after a few thousand miles are on the car is what I want to see. Everyone's commute and driving style is different, but from what I have seen, the cx-5 is legit with regards to fuel economy.

drmoll, can you remind me, is your car FWD or AWD? Can you also estimate the average speed for such low consumption. Thx

It's FWD - we have the most basic model. We got it up to 35.6 today...average speed probably between 50-55 mph. As someone else said, I'm still babying it and driving as smoothly as I possibly can, and that makes a big difference. On the other hand, the drives we take are also hilly and windy, and I was in a stiff wind today. I am a very happy consumer.

Back