Future 2008 mazdaspeed 3 build

Ok....400hp driving two front tires is silly.
500hp just lets you make more smoke when you want.
I bet with head work and meth injection on top of the other mods suggested here you could do it, but I wouldn't.
Is 500 number out of thin air so you can make a point to your doughmeshtick friends and family fans, or do you have a logical reason and a goal?

Cause in this car, a 500hp setup is going to eliminate most all of the characteristics one might define as "daily driver" and having all the power through the front wheels is just plain silly IMO.
That's like building a WRC car with full interior, a stereo and FWD.
Imagine a Ken Block Mazdaspeed3 ?

I don't think you can even find axle half-shafts and cv joints for our car from any source that could handle that much power. You are talking about 600 horses at the crank. I would think the half shafts, spindles, CV joints and such would have to be custom made which means mucho $$$$ just to keep the drive train from grenading when you strap the thing down to the dyno and try to apply power through the FWD transaxle.

If you want to try this on the 2.3L DISI engine, at least consider trading the MS3 for a MS6 which is AWD. Maybe you might have a chance to drive it and dyno it before it starts puking and or/shitting drive train pieces parts all over the street, assuming the engine does not do so first.

I have a friend who installs Chevy V-8 engines in late 90's RX7s. I'm wondering if the MS3 engine bay is big/wide enough to handle a new engine/drivetrain swap.

You could be the first to have a V-8, (blown even) RWD MS3 with over 500 wheel HP.

Sounds like a job for Jesse James or Chip Foose.

Good luck, I envy your ambition!

Keep us updated on your progress.

There's a kit to put a SBF in the Ford Focus and it uses a 8.8 solid rear axle from a Mustang. No reason you couldn't do something like that. It would completely change the character of the car. Stealthy it would not be, but fast.....I would certainly think so. I would rather do something like this to a well used 3 rather than butcher a MS3 but whatever. You would be able to recoup some costs by selling the drivetrain and suspension bits of the MS3.

They have been putting V8's in Miatas for a while now. Typically they use the 289 or 302, and with a supercharger, they are hitting the 500hp mark. I wonder if one would fit in an MS3???? Of course we would need to beef the suspension, rear axle and trany. Probably would be over that 15k mark Im thinking.

u guys got ur heads under a rock...it's been awhile since i posted here but cageyvet (m<s<f) also known as cherryvodka on m247 hit 57X HP....it can be done it just takes cash...and to the guy who said that the ATP 3076r would be good for 500hp...u better check urself...i have a t3 3076r (flows way more) which has a bigger exhaust housing then the ATP FAIL FLANGE TURBOS..and only expect to hit 475+hp with it...it's gonna take a built motor, t3 or t4 turbo, custom t3/t4 downpipe/manifold/ewg, cp-e flashes, cp-e standback, fmic, meth, bigger MAF and all other supporting mods

u guys got ur heads under a rock...it's been awhile since i posted here but cageyvet (m<s<f) also known as cherryvodka on m247 hit 57X HP....it can be done it just takes cash...and to the guy who said that the ATP 3076r would be good for 500hp...u better check urself...i have a t3 3076r (flows way more) which has a bigger exhaust housing then the ATP FAIL FLANGE TURBOS..and only expect to hit 475+hp with it...it's gonna take a built motor, t3 or t4 turbo, custom t3/t4 downpipe/manifold/ewg, cp-e flashes, cp-e standback, fmic, meth, bigger MAF and all other supporting mods

How long did the half-shafts and CV joints last? What about the transaxle? If you install a clutch strong enough to handle the power, then something else has got to break aft of the clutch. Any drag slicks or other super sticky tires that could put that much power down to the ground on a FWD setup under any real world operating conditions would be the death knell for the drive train. This is a effing FWD platform. What is the point, even if the engine holds up for a few dyno pulls before it pops and launches connecting rods into orbit.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, didn't he also blow several transmissions? He might have hit 570's, but I don't remember reading about him having 2 successful dynos in a row. Though I haven't been on there in a while. It's just a stupid idea. Take that $15k and put it into a better platform; like an evo or sti. That would be a street beast.

Front wheel drive is completly wrong for a performance car. It's the one thing I hate about the speed3 and the reason I'm considering getting a Mustang. The only reason I could see someone wanting more than 300whp on a front drive car is bragging rights.
That being said I'm sure that the engine is very capible of that kind of horsepower. But why? It would be much wiser to buy a car that that kind of power can be put to the ground.

Back