funky white/blue headlights - best bang for the buck?

If you are expecting brighter lights, be warned that a bulb with a blue tint will produce LESS light than a clear bulb (i.e. not be as bright). If you just want the cool color, that's fine.

I wasn't going to say anything untill that last post. I've noticed that too. In my experience I've always noticed less illumination from aftermarket (blue/xenon/hid)- 'like bulbs. They look 10x better asthetically but definitly give less illumination on the road.

Granted I never used the PIAs- so I don't know if it'll be any different with them. But in my book- function over fashion any day of the week.
I'll save my $80 and put it towards my Injen intake. :)

saided18 - My post wasn't knocking anyone, but you are right -- it's my opinion. :)

JunkPunch and LazerBlueP5 - Really? All the data I've seen about these lights suggest that you get MORE illumination from them compared to the stock ones. Or do you think that perhaps I should be getting the uber-white brights that aren't necessarily blue, but look cool all the same while providing more light than stock?

A friend of mine showed me a link to a comparison of HID simulation and superwhite bulbs, including PIAA, and they all put out less lumens in the desired locations than the OEM bulbs. Unfortunately, I do not have the links. Tinting definitely cuts down on output.

It's pretty simple - if you are filtering out part of the light (which is what the blue coating does), less light is getting to the road. You can't create more energy with some blue tint.

If you really want more light, get some Philips Vision Plus bulbs from Europe. They actually do put out more lumens. They don't have the blue tint, though.

hey guys when i talk of HID i don't mean the stupid bulbs with the blue tint on them. I am talking about real HIDs. These are the exact thing that are on the BMW and Benz. Companies liek phillips make these aftermaket HIDs that fit other cars then BMWs. And Phillips is the company that makes ALL of the HIDs for the germany cars. That is why these HID kits cost 400 bucks. And they do give you more light on the road and produce a nice color as well. and sorry if i missunderstood any one. Thats my bad.

saided18 said:

WTF kinda crack you smoking????? thousands??? it's more hundreds. i bought my HID conversion kit for 420 USD! so if you didn't know before. now you know. lol

oops...yeah now that i think about it you can get units for cheap...i'm just used to my friends with the wrx and silvia conversion who paid a lot more for theirs cuz it's all jdm stuff so it's definitely more expensive...yeah the units alone are much cheaper then thousands...

saided18 said:
hey guys when i talk of HID i don't mean the stupid bulbs with the blue tint on them. I am talking about real HIDs. These are the exact thing that are on the BMW and Benz. Companies liek phillips make these aftermaket HIDs that fit other cars then BMWs. And Phillips is the company that makes ALL of the HIDs for the germany cars. That is why these HID kits cost 400 bucks. And they do give you more light on the road and produce a nice color as well. and sorry if i missunderstood any one. Thats my bad.

Make sure you stay away from the 8000k bulbs, unless you are going for the dimmer, super blue, glare look. Here is a link with some great info:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.htm

OEM Xenon systems usually are in the 4100-4300k range. Sunlight is at 5250k. 6000k bulbs are better than 8000k as far as visibility and the blinding glare, and are not as dim as the 8000k bulbs, from what I understand.

If any of you are looking for a good HID alternative, CATZ puts out a Zeta system that I've been looking at. I believe it was in the 4000K range for light brightness and was totally plug and play for the low beams...still won't give HID on the high beam side. You can get brand new systems on Ebay for under $300 and get the same effect as HID with stock bulbs.

ok, i'm going to bring this back to the top....

I want new bulbs for high beams and fogs. I couldn't care less about the blue-ish tint, I just want a crapload of light...

So simply put, which are the brightest bulbs I can put in the 9005 high beams, and H3 fogs? I heard about putting higher watage fogs in. do they make different wattage h3 bulbs?

edit:
ok, goingto piaa's sit they have many bulbs for each; which is brightest?
fogs
http://www.piaa.com/h3bulbs.html
(what about that ion crystal @ the bottom, bright?)

high beams?
http://www.piaa.com/9000seriesbulbs.html

Last edited:
the ion crystal or the plasma's are gonna be the brightest, the ion's are more yellow(more rally style), and the plasmas give off more of a blue color. But at 5000k they both should be equally as bright.

the high beams it looks like the Xtreme white plus would be the brightest of the bunch.

if you really wanna go the brightest you could drop around $500-$600 on a HID kit. Search around the forumns, couple people have done that to their car.

well I found a chart is my digging...

attachment.php

I'm not really looking to spend as much for HID's.. I bought the car and it's got blue highbeams that put out basically zero light and need replaced. Same w/ the fogs, the rear turn signals, the backup lights, the dome lights inside etc etc etc... this guy was a big fan of blue lights...

Just thought I'd chime in, since no one has mentioned these yet:

If you were looking for function over fashion, then I would suggest Osram silverstars from www.powerbulbs.com

Many of us here have ordered them and are currently using them. 100% of us are completely satisfied. They aren't completely "white" such as PIAA's, however, OSRAM does not coat its bulbs with filters. Therefore, the silverstars create the *MOST* light quantitatively at the highest color temperature (4000k, I believe) possible for halogen applications, without the need for filters.

I'm telling you ppl...whatever you do either you get reliable light bulbs like osram silverstars(55watts) or go for HID kits.
anything in between will make you regret in most of cases.
In my case, headlight assembley have been replaced( $250)
Honestly, I have no experiences on PIaa bulbs so I can't say anything about them but I have tons of issues on other aftermarket bulbs, noyka, cuzo, cool blue(this ok), APC, and etc...' they will either damage your wires or connector or headlight assembly
so my gradings are
HID > Silverstar > Sylvania > OEM bulbs

and listen to AndrewSilverMP5, he's the expert on bulbs

Last edited:
I was initially thinking of going with PIAA Super Plasma GT-X's. But after researching and finding so many people ticked-off by the lifespan of the bulbs, I've changed my mind.

I'm planning on going with Osram Silverstars H4's matched to Osram Super H3's for the fogs. So I'm moving away from the bluish/purple look to pure white.

Also, they're 100% street legal.

AndrewSilverMP5 said:
Just thought I'd chime in, since no one has mentioned these yet:

If you were looking for function over fashion, then I would suggest Osram silverstars from www.powerbulbs.com

are they in England?? all of their prices are in ...

who sells then cheap in the US? I need a new bulb ASAP

Yes, they are based in England. Osram's US subsidiary is called SYLVANIA, but Sylvania does not make Silverstars in H7, here in teh US. (Anyway, Sylvania coats their silverstars with film (no) )

If you want the OSRAM silverstars in H7, then www.powerbulbs.com is the only way to go. By the way, that website has free shipping, FYI. ;)

Back