Full Transmission Replacement

This is highly subjective and opinionated statement I am going to make but I have experienced with friends, families and co-workers...

There tends to be an under reporting of complaints with some of the supposed "known" reliable brands. They have cars in for work like any other makes but don't seem to see issue in the same light as brands with supposed lower reliability. Maybe they feel shame that what they bought didn't turn out to be the bullet proof design they were sold.

Sorry.. with all the electronics in cars today.. the 300K+ mileage Toyota (or any brand..for vehicles manufactured in last 5 years) is nowhere to be found on a common basis. One can make it get there but a capacitor, relay, solder joint is going to fail in a control unit along the way. It might be cheap to fix in the day if you can find a used one in a wrecking yard... assuming it is a well known fault.

Even a co-workers 2010 Prius failed on him in the middle of the freeway.. he was just able to get it to the side of the road before it completely died. It took a team of Toyota engineers about a month in the shop to figure out what had failed in it. To this day... it is his best car ever... incident forgotten...(and recently he told me it is using a quart of oil every 1500 miles)

Someone else mentioned confirmation bias here... it works both ways. If someone likes the car, they tend to play down the faults. If they dislike the car, they play up benign non-faults.

wait... am I reading this correctly!?

You have a brand new Corvette in your garage, but you also owned a 2016 Mirage?

Yep. I bought the Mirage and the Mercedes the same week. The Mirage was for hypermiling. It sucked. Both sucked.

Someone else mentioned confirmation bias here... it works both ways. If someone likes the car, they tend to play down the faults. If they dislike the car, they play up benign non-faults.

That's where data gathered by disinterested parties comes in. :)

Not me.
I like my car i'm on my second, but am very vocal about any problems. Its a car not something i sleep with, just a lump of metal with four wheels.

How does one know what month a vehicle was built?

Hi Anchorman

My dealer told me in advance the production date due for my CX5 which was 30th September 2013. I happened to look at the seatbelt labels when I got it and they say 09/2013 so look at your seatbelt labels and that should at least give you the month and year of production.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jonno21

This is highly subjective and opinionated statement I am going to make but I have experienced with friends, families and co-workers...

There tends to be an under reporting of complaints with some of the supposed "known" reliable brands. They have cars in for work like any other makes but don't seem to see issue in the same light as brands with supposed lower reliability. Maybe they feel shame that what they bought didn't turn out to be the bullet proof design they were sold.

Sorry.. with all the electronics in cars today.. the 300K+ mileage Toyota (or any brand..for vehicles manufactured in last 5 years) is nowhere to be found on a common basis. One can make it get there but a capacitor, relay, solder joint is going to fail in a control unit along the way. It might be cheap to fix in the day if you can find a used one in a wrecking yard... assuming it is a well known fault.

Even a co-workers 2010 Prius failed on him in the middle of the freeway.. he was just able to get it to the side of the road before it completely died. It took a team of Toyota engineers about a month in the shop to figure out what had failed in it. To this day... it is his best car ever... incident forgotten...(and recently he told me it is using a quart of oil every 1500 miles)

Yep, agree 100%. Had an 87 Corolla for 17 years and 300+ thousand miles with a lot of the original equipment still on the car, A/C, starter, etc., but not a whole lot of electronic gear. Those days are gone. The more bells and whistles you have the more likely problems are going to show up earlier. Got rid of a 97 Voyager I had from new because of electronic problems starting to dog it ridiculously, broken connectors, worn cables, flaky ground connections. The engine and trans were great but it wouldn't run do to some electronic problem. High tech stuff is nice when it works, but after a few years of vibration, hot and cold extremes, water and corrosion, it can wreak havoc.

Not me.
I like my car i'm on my second, but am very vocal about any problems. Its a car not something i sleep with, just a lump of metal with four wheels.
Same here. I'd get another CX-5 if I were in compact CUV market. I'd still say something if I feel it needs to be said. I simply hope Mazda can look into all criticisms and make their products even better. If I don't bother to say anything, that means I'm not interested.

I'm still recommending CX-5 to our friends and families if they're in the compact CUV market. I've persuaded at least six persons bought a new CX-5 for the last couple of years, including my wife who desperately wanted a Lexus as all of her good friends driving one! :)

Here you go fellas -
Although Toyota Prius is a complicated vehicle, but I do believe it'll be very reliable to serve you with great gas mileage. Good luck on your new Prius and may be you can come back here to do some comparison between the two!

***UPDATE****

New transmission arrived at 5:30am on Wednesday morning and should be done this evening. The Mazda dealer is 3 blocks down from the Toyota dealer. So - Saturday morning I pick up the CX-5 and about 3 minutes later I will be driving home in my new Toyota Prius Four Touring. Very excited.

Dave
Has Mazda ever given you an explanation in detail on why your tranny failed at a such early stage?

Although Toyota Prius is a complicated vehicle, but I do believe it'll be very reliable to serve you with great gas mileage. Good luck on your new Prius and may be you can come back here to do some comparison between the two!

You bet I will although it will be hard to compare the two.

Because it's a complicated machine and my experience with the CX I bought an extended warranty for the first time in MY life.

If the CX was out of warranty the tranny would have cost me $3500-$4000 to replace.

The 7 year 125,000 mile end to end Toyota branded - platinum extended warranty program was $2400. Got him down to $1160 by using the web to comparo shop and pulled the trigger on it.

So - I'm mentally good for 7 whole years.

You guys are a great group - an amazing resource and I plan on dropping in from time to time to say hello.

Be good guys and thanks for everything.

Dave K

You bet I will although it will be hard to compare the two.

Because it's a complicated machine and my experience with the CX I bought an extended warranty for the first time in MY life.

If the CX was out of warranty the tranny would have cost me $3500-$4000 to replace.

The 7 year 125,000 mile end to end Toyota branded - platinum extended warranty program was $2400. Got him down to $1160 by using the web to comparo shop and pulled the trigger on it.

So - I'm mentally good for 7 whole years.

You guys are a great group - an amazing resource and I plan on dropping in from time to time to say hello.

Be good guys and thanks for everything.

Dave K
Consider the large volume sold and complexity of the technology on Prius, it has an excellent track record on reliability including its expensive battery. If I want a hybrid, I'd only consider something small from Toyota or Lexus. I wouldn't consider any extended warranty for it but for the price you paid, I wouldn't mind to have it for a peace of mind.

Here you go fellas -

Congrats on the new ride. I was never a fan of the looks of the Prius but I must admit that this new Prius looks good. As a matter of fact it looks better than most current version toyotas.

Back