Front camera scratched. Is this the collision avoidance camera?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I got a scratch, probably a stone chip on the little button camera under front Mazda emblem. The front image is now marred This is the part number they gave me and a corresponding link to the diagram. - seems like a whole bunch of hardward as I was thinking they could just replace the little dime size camera. It's not cheap, lists at about $500 for the part (yes, I know cheaper on line) and $400 for labor - bumper removal and alignment of the camera.

Normally I might live with it, but if it works with the collision avoidance system perhaps I better take care of it.

Does this diagram seem right? Cant's seem to identify which is the actual lens. According to the dealer on the phone - Item "5" on the attached linked image

Part no. K157-67-RC0A
InkedPXL_20211003_011307020_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Check to see if Mazda will cover it under warranty, or good will you never know until you ask. I got brake calipers goodwilled on my Mazda 6 one time. Which was way out of warranty.

Wondering if that damage is affecting the operation of the collision avoidance camera?

Wondering if that damage is affecting the operation of the collision avoidance camera?
I imagine if the system isn't happy it will throw lights and warnings. In your shoes, I would carry on.

that camera isn't used for that
This answer is correct. Collision avoidance uses a combination of the camera located behind the rearview mirror and the radar module behind the front emblem. Lower tier trims with collision avoidance do not have the front camera under the emblem as that is only used for the 4-way camera system on the Signature trim.

Okay, teach me. The camera under the logo on the grill is called "collision avoidance camera" so slap me silly, but I was guessing it somehow had something to do with either 'collision' or 'avoidance'
camera.jpg

Okay, teach me. The camera under the logo on the grill is called "collision avoidance camera" so slap me silly, but I was guessing it somehow had something to do with either 'collision' or 'avoidance'View attachment 303607
Haha, the camera below the center logo is the front 360 degree camera. I have no idea what you're looking at, but when I look up k15767rc0a, it shows a CX-5 backup camera.
LINK to an example.

Lower tier trims with collision avoidance do not have the front camera under the emblem as that is only used for the 4-way camera system on the Signature trim.
No argument, and this would be great, then the part description is just wrong as seen on the Mazda part schematic - trust me, I didn't edit that parts link. Again, this is just what I'm finding based on the part number. If it does nothing more than give me my 360 and front view, I can live with that.
Haha, the camera below the center logo is the front 360 degree camera. I have no idea what you're looking at, but when I look up k15767rc0a, it shows a CX-5 backup camera.
LINK to an example.
I see your link, but a google of k15767rc0a mostly brings up the front camera.

Last edited:
No argument, and that would be great, then the part description is just wrong. Again, this is just what I'm finding based on the part number. If it does nothing more than give me my 360 and front view, I can live with that.

I see your link, but a google of k15767rc0a mostly brings up the front camera.

It looks like they use the same camera for the front and rear. In either case, it has nothing to do with collision avoidance, which is what you seem to be worried about. As someone already mentioned, the front camera is only available on the Signature, but the other models also have collision avoidance.

I don't have that camera.
My trim does not even have that camera. By all indications in the manual the camera in question is used exclusively for the 360 Degree View feature as in your pictures, a feature not included in the Touring trim.

The frontal collision avoidance functions are driven by the Frontal Facing Camera at the top of the windshield near the rear view mirror and the primary radar behind the Mazda logo. Parking assist works off the sensors in the bumper.

If you're up for some reading, check out the i-ACTIVESENSE section of the manual starting on page 4-121. It does a pretty good job of describing which hardware is used with which safety functions.

As an aside, it took me awhile to figure out what the side cameras in the exterior mirrors actually do. In my case, nothing. I see nothing to indicate they are used for anything but the 360 view. The lenses are just dummies in my Touring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone, that helps. Again, not trying to be obtuse (that sometimes comes naturally though}, I was only going by the description of the Mazda part number

Thank you everyone, that helps. Again, not trying to be obtuse (that sometimes comes naturally though}, I was only going by the description of the Mazda part number
That's understandable. As @dunhillmc said, that 360 view function could be loosely described as a collision avoidance assist. Or the guy who wrote the part description was confused, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
well technically, the front camera is to keep you from hitting things like walls, curbs, pets, etc
What's next, the other undocumented feature, the S-ROAM or *Supplemental Reverse Observation Awareness Monitor* aka 'the rear view mirror' - hahahahaha

When the sun hits it it's much worse. May cosinsider getting git fixed - Covered under comprehensive with a $250 deductible, rates will not increase - I've only had 2 claims in the last 22 years.

Yes. Handy tool as I marked the garage floor with tape and now I know exactly how far to pull n the garage

Yes. Handy tool as I marked the garage floor with tape and now I know exactly how far to pull n the garage
I've only used mine in reverse. I never knew it worked the same in D. I just tried it and it does work that way. It took almost 3 years to find that out! :)

Latest posts

Back