Freezing here (CX-5 startup)

Now that it is nearly 0 in the mornings now I have noticed that my 16 is ether starting off in second or mushy shifting into second only when cold, after about a mile or 2 it is its normal snappy self. I have not tried to manually put it in first yet but could this be a cold feature to keep it from spinning in the snow and ice? I have had it about 2 months now and it has 40k on it.

I believe there’s a feature starting from the 2nd gear in slippery or icy road conditions. But it shouldn’t related to the low temperature. It isn’t normal to me.

I believe I have read here, dependent on temp (when it is cold) you do not get full power.

My CX-5 does not do winters, but for those that do, if you have a Turbo, I call it Turbo season, sad it is limited.

I believe I have read here, dependent on temp (when it is cold) you do not get full power.

My CX-5 does not do winters, but for those that do, if you have a Turbo, I call it Turbo season, sad it is limited.

There's a TSB for that.

My 16 doesn't do that. Shifts normally on a 6 degree morning a few days ago. Your fluid level may be low. Once it heats up it may have expanded enough to give you a normal shift.

There's a TSB for that.
Do you happen to know the number off hand? I remember that another member ( Unobtainium?) would rail about that issue to the point they traded for a Rav 4 prime. I've finally experienced it myself and wouldn't mind getting it sorted.

Do you happen to know the number off hand? I remember that another member ( Unobtainium?) would rail about that issue to the point they traded for a Rav 4 prime. I've finally experienced it myself and wouldn't mind getting it sorted.

I don't know the TSB, but if you can find that thread, I believe it was posted in there.

Slightly unrelated, but my Nissans did the same thing in cold weather. My old Pathfinder especially would not shift into overdrive until it was warmed up a bit. It was perfectly normal behaviour, given the temperatures.

Slightly unrelated, but my Nissans did the same thing in cold weather. My old Pathfinder especially would not shift into overdrive until it was warmed up a bit. It was perfectly normal behaviour, given the temperatures.
Yes, some cars are designed that way. My Scion won't hit overdrive until the engine is warm. But I've never had that happen on my 16 CX5. Always a good shift no matter the temp in the lower gears.

Back