FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

MP3 Games said:
As you can see by my post it was done in Oct. and so far it has been fine. No ping sounds in any RPM range and my I am getting great MPG. It was a great upgrade for me.

What mods have you done to the car? Have you checked to see what your plugs look like?

you'll only need to put in the 6 heat range plugs if you have more extensive engine modifications

thanks for the info...gonna get some ZFR5F-11 plugs this weekend hopefully. about to hit the 30k mileage mark...

will post up any noticeable changes in miles per gallon, idle, etc...

update: got the new plugs in...asked the parts guy at Advance Auto for the plugs to a 1998 Honda CR-V EX (ZFR5F-11).

I don't notice any gains in power or anything, but the car definitely runs a lot smoother. Idle is a little lower (I think...maybe I just didn't realize how low my idle is) and starting into 1st gear at a red light or stop sign is as smooth as butter. Also, acceleration seems to be smoother too. It's kinda hard to describe, but everything just feels great! Definitely a great "mod" (2thumbs)

Attached: pic of the long reach ZFR5F-11 versus the stock BKR5E-11

Attachments

• DSC02930.JPG
    DSC02930.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Could someone really elaborate a little more as to what engine pinging or knocking is? What should I be trying to listen for or feel as I'm driving? Is the pinging sound suppose to be coming from the front of the car or under the car? I do hear a ping sound once in a while when I'm starting out in first gear off of a dead stop. Sounds like it's coming from under the car right about where the heat shield is. I'm thinking that it's the heat shield catching against the exhaust pipe as I'm taking off from first. I have a short shifter installed and I had to bend the heat shield to keep it from rubbing against the short shifter. Being that I bent it down, it's practically lying on top of the exhaust pipe that's right under it. I think everytime I take off from 1st gear, it kisses it a little. I don't hear that "ping" sound in any other gear. If the engine was pinging, would I hear or feel it in all gears or just a particular gear, or even at a particular rev? Thanks in advance for all info and advice. I have a 2.0L 2001 ES. Everything stock with the extended reach plugs installed. Using 87 octane. Pretty much full tank of gas.

Protege__Owner said:
Could someone really elaborate a little more as to what engine pinging or knocking is? What should I be trying to listen for or feel as I'm driving? Is the pinging sound suppose to be coming from the front of the car or under the car? I do hear a ping sound once in a while when I'm starting out in first gear off of a dead stop. Sounds like it's coming from under the car right about where the heat shield is. I'm thinking that it's the heat shield catching against the exhaust pipe as I'm taking off from first. I have a short shifter installed and I had to bend the heat shield to keep it from rubbing against the short shifter. Being that I bent it down, it's practically lying on top of the exhaust pipe that's right under it. I think everytime I take off from 1st gear, it kisses it a little. I don't hear that "ping" sound in any other gear. If the engine was pinging, would I hear or feel it in all gears or just a particular gear, or even at a particular rev? Thanks in advance for all info and advice. I have a 2.0L 2001 ES. Everything stock with the extended reach plugs installed. Using 87 octane. Pretty much full tank of gas.

I'm pretty sure what you are hearing is the heat shield like you suggested it may be. I wasn't able to position the heat shield in a position where it wouldn't hit the shifter or the exhaust, so I just cut a little section out of it. Even without the heat shield, the shifter doesn't get really hot or anything.

Hmmm....Interesting stuff. I really liked to know which one I should use. The 5 or the 6 for the extended reach. I've currently got the 5 extended reach installed. Maybe when I run seafoam through my system, I'll switch em out to the 6 extended reach and see what the difference is.
Before I put in the 5 extended reach, my old plugs were BKR6E-11... which was surprising to me, because I always thought it would be BKR5E-11. I guess the previous owner put in the BKR6E-11. When I took em out, they didn't look to bad either. No signs of fouling or anything. So maybe if I switch to the ZR6F-11, it'll be okay? I have 2001 ES protege 2.0L manual everything stock. What do you all think?

Mr.Ames said:
I think you should mod that s*** :D

Yea, that's not really a bad idea. Not too sure I'd wanna dump all that money on mods when the car is already 6 years old with 90k miles on it already. The only mod I have on the car is a twm short shifter with the polyurethane bushings also.

depends on how long you plan on keeping the car...if you're only going to keep it for another year or so I would say save your money for the next car...

well went out and bought some of the v-power long reaches, the zfr5f-11's

question is, i bought one of the spark plug gappers to make sure the plugs are gapped right, but the damn thing looks like a quarter, so how does it work?

how do i gap them?

also quick question is there a how-to anywhere for spark plug removal/installation?

thanks for any help

bigj884 said:
well went out and bought some of the v-power long reaches, the zfr5f-11's

question is, i bought one of the spark plug gappers to make sure the plugs are gapped right, but the damn thing looks like a quarter, so how does it work?

how do i gap them?

also quick question is there a how-to anywhere for spark plug removal/installation?

thanks for any help

you use the quarter thing to gap them. insert the gapper into the gap in the end of the spark plug. slide the gapper towards the thicker part of the gapper until you get to the 0.043 mark. do it a few times to work the right gap into the spark plug.

there isn't a how-to anywhere for changing the spark plugs, but it's pretty easy. Make sure you have the right tools. You'll need a few extension bars for your wrench (I used a 6" and a 3") and a special spark plug socket (all of these can be found at the local auto parts store).

You pull off the wires, use the extension and the socket to unscrew the spark plugs, gap the new ones, and screw the new ones in using the same socket and extension. only hand tighten - I think you're supposed to torque the spark plug to 14 lbs or something...

You guys all got the 1.8 coil setup? Might need to tell him about taking the coils off the top of 2 of the plugs to get them out if not.................

i12drivemyMP5 said:
You guys all got the 1.8 coil setup? Might need to tell him about taking the coils off the top of 2 of the plugs to get them out if not.................

i dont have the 1.8 coil set-up and not many of the people that post above me did either.

but i got the swap done, i found a How-To on the internet that i will be post in the how-to forums for future refrence for other members who may not know how to do it.

when i laid the plugs next to each other, the "long reach" plugs that i got, did not seem longer than the ones i had in there.

but the ones that were in there were filthy as crap, so its a good thing i swapped them out.

Only point was that it isn't just pop off the wires & unscrew the plugs if you don't have the 1.8 setup because you have to unbolt the coils to get to 2 of the plugs. The long reach plugs are only longer from the top of the threads to the tip of the electrode & not very much longer either.

well excuse me, to pop all FOUR wires off, u have to undo 4 bolts to get to 2 of the wires off. my bad. i guess i assumed it should have been common sense.

Back