FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

I just went back to stock plugs this weekend. The car does run better. Less power, but definitely a lot smoother. The plugs I took out didn't look too bad, though.

I just read through this entire thread and the question I have never really got answered, only hinted at: If I go with the longer reach plugs, still at a 5 not going a step colder to a 6, will I be fine running 87 octane gas like I do know?

SuperProtege5 said:
I just read through this entire thread and the question I have never really got answered, only hinted at: If I go with the longer reach plugs, still at a 5 not going a step colder to a 6, will I be fine running 87 octane gas like I do know?

"I will still say spark plugs and wires don't make a difference in performance (I know this for a fact because when I changed the wires and put in the BKR5E plugs months ago, the engine performed no different than before)... but these do because they are physically different... the plug itself goes deeper into the combustion chamber, therefore repositioning the spark point... on other engines it may not make a difference/hurt it... but on our engines, it seems to be the "sweet spot"... remember using these MAY increase the possibility of pinging, so be prepared to use mid-grade or better gas"

That is a quote from the first post

SuperProtege5 said:
I was fine running 87 on 5. Well, in terms of not having any real problems, at least.

I was getting a slight bit of pinging, and also heard a couple other people say stock was smoother so I wanted to give it a try. Now that I've got stocks in, though, there's still the exact same pinging, or maybe just rattling noise, so the problem should be somewhere else.

I think I'll just stick with my stockers right now until I get an MP3 ECU. Then I'll change out for the longer reach plugs since I'll already have to use premium fuel.

I switched to the IX Iridium ZFR5F-11's about a month ago (gapped at 0.044, which NGK recommends), and I've had no problems. I inteded to get the V-Power plugs, but Pep-Boys didn't have them in stock. I've ran both 91 octane and 87 octane gas, with no tangible difference between the two. I've noticed the car drives a bit smoother in 1st gear and in reverse (you really can back out of a parking spot using only the clutch!).

i just read this entire thread...went to autozone....replaced my plugs.... i've never been happier!!! (sad i know) THESE PLUGS ROCK!! thank u to everyone who posted here! i've only gone 8 miles so far but already can tell a difference.....SMOOTH!!!

clicknext said:
I was getting a slight bit of pinging, and also heard a couple other people say stock was smoother so I wanted to give it a try. Now that I've got stocks in, though, there's still the exact same pinging, or maybe just rattling noise, so the problem should be somewhere else.

Question. Did your pinging ever go away? I have same problem on my wifes 2002 did the higher octane with little help. I'm thinking knock sensor shot but wouldn't that throw a eng light?

Just threw some ZFR5F-11 (v-power) in the car. Drove around a little bit. Seems to be fine. I noticed it got rid of some hesitation, however, my old plugs were nearing the end of their life anyhow.

i put these plugs in too. They were the 5's and i did notice i was getting a little bit more throttle response. I went on vacation and drove about 300 miles with no problems whatsoever. I'm using 93 octane and i have a few mods as well as a mp3 ecu. Gas prices don't really matter to me b/c i figure hey whatever, your treating your car nicer for the 2.00 dollars more it costs for the good stuff on a full fill up. Thats just the way i look at it though.

I can't really say if I saw much of a difference simply because I didn't drive the car enough before installing these (it was a new purchase at the time, an MP3 BTW), but the car drives quite well and my mileage is better then factory reported (also running a CAI and a shorty header). I'm also running 91...

According to this thread, you should use the zfr6f-11 plugs. I would read the whole thread if I were you.

Back