2013~2016 Found an excellent place to run accessory wiring from battery to inside the CX-5

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
If you need to run accessory wiring from the battery to the inside of the car to add stuff like aux lighting, or an amp, or whatever, if your CX-5 has the automatic transmission, there's a huge and terrific spot to drill through: it's where the clutch would have gone! There's absolutely nothing in the way on either side of the firewall, so it's very safe to drill, and easy to see. It's so huge, you could run multiple passes of 1/0 wire if you desire! I simply ran 4 gauge, with is plenty for my needs. Just remember to always use a grommet! You don't want a hot power wire rubbing against metal of Woof! Your baby will go up in flames. :(

Engine side, very convenient, right behind the battery!
1669063092163.png

Under the dash, half way between the main wiring harness and the brake pedal. Super easy to get a drill in there to make a hole. I used a step bit.
1669063154781.png

Insulation back in place! It's even pre-cut so it pops right out, easy piezy.
1669063191756.png

thanks. i am about to install an amp/sub and was gonna poke in through the main harness grommet. i haven't installed my own grommets before. i assume a variety kit from amazon should give me what i need?

are you doing an amp install? if yes, where are you putting it and where are you grounding?

Yeah, doing an amp. The ground is on a rear seat belt bolt, the amp is in the hatch. There's also a factory ground lug behind the panel that has the hatch light. That would obviously be a great place as well.

As far as grommets go, I've been installing stereos for the last 35 years. (Lord I'm getting old!). They were in my sizeable stash. But you can get them from almost anywhere that sells stereo equipment.

thanks for the info. i will look behind that panel in the back for the ground bolt you mentioned. i've done about 15 HU's and subs, so i am not an expert, but once i am through the firewall, everything else is usually pretty simple. i have never had to drill the firewall, but am leaning that way so as to not disrupt the grommet for the main harness. i just ordered a grommet kit for 10 bucks on amazon. thanks again. hopefully, this is the kick in the pants i needed to get this project rolling. i have all the materials.

Back