First oil change - Skyactiv NA engine

mazda oem oil in other countries is different in what we can get oem 5w30 in Us. Unfortunately there isnt good full syn 5w30 oem. Its only a blend. Only 0w20 is full synthetic mazda moly oil

I just had my first complimentary oil change on my 2022 CX-5 turbo. I was shocked to see on the receipt that they used Mazda 5W30 "Conventional" oil. Not synthetic, and they said that is what Mazda specifies. I said conventional oil does not belong in any turbo engine. I called 5 Mazda dealers around the country just to get an idea, and 3 said they only use synthetic in turbo engines.

In looking at my owners manual, if you have a non-turbo, 0W-20 is recommended, you are fine with dealer oil, as this oil is a synthetic, since I don't think anybody can make a 0W-20 out of dyno oil.

The manual is odd in that the comments for US turbos seem different than for Mexico usage. In the US, the recommendation is only Mazda Genuine Premium, 5W-30, which is not synthetic. The API spec symbol to use in the US is SM (Mexico recommendation is SM,Sn, or SP, the latest).
SM is an obsolete spec from 2004-2011. SN/SN+/SP have all superseded it. All oils for gas engines made since May 1, 2020, have to meet SP/GF6 specs.

I am not sure what Mazda is doing recommending obsolete SM spec oil, especially in a new turbo engine, and not also specifying synthetics.

Last edited:
I just had my first complimentary oil change on my 2022 CX-5 turbo. I was shocked to see on the receipt that they used Mazda 5W30 "Conventional" oil. Not synthetic, and they said that is what Mazda specifies. I said conventional oil does not belong in any turbo engine. I called 5 Mazda dealers around the country just to get an idea, and 3 said they only use synthetic in turbo engines.

In looking at my owners manual, if you have a non-turbo, 0W-20 is recommended, you are fine with dealer oil, as this oil is a synthetic, since I don't think anybody can make a 0W-20 out of dyno oil.

The manual is odd in that the comments for US turbos seem different than for Mexico usage. In the US, the recommendation is only Mazda Genuine Premium, 5W-30, which is not synthetic. The API spec symbol to use in the US is SM (Mexico recommendation is SM,Sn, or SP, the latest).
SM is an obsolete spec from 2004-2011. SN/SN+/SP have all superseded it. All oils for gas engines made since May 1, 2020, have to meet SP/GF6 specs.

I am not sure what Mazda is doing recommending obsolete SM spec oil, especially in a new turbo engine, and not also specifying synthetics.

Full synthetic oil has never been a requirement for the 2.5T engine since it debuted in the 2016 CX-9, the oil simply has to meet the specifications outlined in the manual. You are fine to use conventional oil to maintain the warranty as long as it is the correct spec and as long as you follow the recommended oil change intervals according to your region.

With that said, I have always used full synthetic when I do my oil changes because it is safer for turbo engines as you mentioned, and because the price difference is so minimal.

It does appear that the graphic in the 2022 CX-5 owner's manual is incorrect. The graphic in the 2022 CX-9 owner's manual only says that the oil must have the API ILSAC trademark symbol. I'm not sure if they're being intentionally vague just so that they don't have to update their manuals with the more specific SN, SN+, etc. grades, but you're definitely right to point out their error.

The Mazda Moly 0w20 full synthetic oil is good, but I find it pricy and I was never sure that was really worth the cost. Now that we have GF-6 oil out on the market, I don't really see a point in sticking with it.

I did switch to using 5w30 in my 2014 CX-5 2.5L NA a couple years back from 0w20 and have been much happier with it. I just get whatever is on sale, usually Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum. I have started to grab the high mileage versions since my CX-5 is nearing 10 years old and is approaching 120k miles.

The manual is odd in that the comments for US turbos seem different than for Mexico usage.

I don't believe there is any requirement that oils being sold now must be GF-6 nor required in a vehicle unless the manufacturer so specifies. 5/1/20 was the approved-for-sale date and I'm not seeing where it goes beyond that. Mazda GF-5 non-synthetic is not wrecking your engine.

That said, I'd be looking for a GF6 synthetic, especially If I owned a turbo, as you seem to be inclined. That standard was a decade in the making primarily designed to meet the demands of turbos. If that's your preference, next time you make an appointment for an oil change ask what they have on hand and if it has an upcharge. If they don't have something that satisfies you, ask if you can bring your own and get a discount off the change. Of course if the next one is complimentary you'd be paying for your own oil if you bring it in.

As for the differences in the service schedules, a close examination of the US/PR, Canada and Mexico schedules show several differences for no apparent reason. I mean the demands of Buffalo and Toronto are indistinguishable as are El Paso and Juarez while Buffalo and El Paso are quite different. So use your best judgement.

That's just because SM was the standard at the time the engine was introduced. Pretty much all oils currently made are SP spec

I really wish that Mazda would come out with a GF6 version of their 0W-20 moly oil

That's just because SM was the standard at the time the engine was introduced. Pretty much all oils currently made are SP spec

I really wish that Mazda would come out with a GF6 version of their 0W-20 moly oil
I thought SM was the standard for 2004-2011. Is the current turbo engine that old? In any event the SM spec should not be listed in my 2022 CX-5 owners manual, as the recommended oil.

Back