2007~2015 First Gen - Coolant quantity for drain and fill question

That's it? I fired it up and did that but started getting worried when it started getting hot and no more water was being sucked into the system. I didn't want to burn up an engine.

That's it? I fired it up and did that but started getting worried when it started getting hot and no more water was being sucked into the system. I didn't want to burn up an engine.
You vent at the highest point of the cooling system, so for us that is the rad cap. How hot did it get? You want the cap off until the thermostat opens, so operation temperature.

You vent at the highest point of the cooling system, so for us that is the rad cap. How hot did it get? You want the cap off until the thermostat opens, so operation temperature.

It didn't quite get up to normal operating temperature. I just got nervous after only putting in half the amount it should have taken.

Thanks for the replies.

Confirm: Leaving the radiator cap off, heater full on and rev the engine around 2000 - 2500 rpm following the initial coolant fill is all you need to do. The air will work itself out of the system. Some cars will trap air and require a vacuum filler but the Gen1 CX-9 does not.
To be fair if you leave the radiator cap off the radiator may push coolant out during the initial heat cycle. For a small investment of around $20 you can buy a coolant spill free funnel (Lisle makes a nice kit) to keep the job clean. The funnel has lots of capacity to hold the hot expanding coolant.
Also if you only added 1.5 gallons before it was full that only means you only drained 1.5 gallons - so don't worry. Now by the time you get done you will have drained and refilled 2x. The result is minimum 75% brand new coolant.

Back