First 2014 in Minnesota?

I installed the mirror on our Mazda3 and it wasn't bad.

The hardest part I found was removing the A-pillar trim. You have to pop it out a little and then grab a little tab down inside and release it to get the trim loose. Also the stock mirror on the 3 just clips on so I had to fashion a tool out of a coat hanger to release it and I was sure I was going to break something.

On the CX5 it shows you just unbolt the mirror to remove it. The A-pillar trim would still take a bit but it shouldn't take long at all; especially for someone that knows what they are doing and isn't afraid they are going to break it the whole time. Plus on the 3 I had to go all the way down and connect it into wiring in the foot-well area, whereas on the CX5 there's a connector you use behind the A-pillar trim.

I've uploaded the install instructions to:

http://mazda.handa.com/cx5/cx5mirror.pdf

Basically they just have you:
disconnect the battery
pop the top section of the door seal loose around the a-pillar trim
remove the plastic a-pillar trim (pop it loose and then use pliers to release the inside holder)
unscrew the mounting screw from the old mirror and slide it off
slide on the new mirror and tighten the screw
plug in the harness and route the wire up to the headliner
route the wire under the front edge of the headliner and down the a-pillar
unplug the connector that is already there and plug the mirror wire in-between
re-install the a-pillar trim
push the door seal back in place
connect the battery and calibrate the compass

Last edited:
Congrats EkBuZ!

Always fun to see another CX-5 on the road. We didn't see very many FWD models around here when we looked last summer and ended up with AWD too. Didn't want to wait for the slow boat.

Hopefully your wife won't hog the wheel! On the other hand, it's nice being chauffeured around, too.

Thanks, EkBuz. I'll keep it in mind. Does anyone know about the Costco buying program which, ostensibly, can save one paying full price without the hassle? F.

Thanks, EkBuz. I'll keep it in mind. Does anyone know about the Costco buying program which, ostensibly, can save one paying full price without the hassle? F.
When I bought my CX-5 in October, the Costco program would have saved me $400 over MSRP. I negotiated invoice pricing, $764 under MSRP.

Here's the proof you were looking for
20130122_204233-1.jpg

I no longer live in MN but I purchased an RX7 from them when they first came out, very nice people. EkBuZ, did they charge you a doc fee? If so I wonder if this is standard practice.

That color looks somewhat similar to the "gray mica" on my mazda 3 =) . I like it.

Morrie's has another Meteor Grey in stock - there are lots of pictures here:

http://www.morries.com/detail-2014-mazda-cx~5-fwd_4dr_auto_touring-new-9943004.html

Judging from those images, the Meteor Gray is darker with a tad bit of magenta but in actuality the Meteor Gray in the pics isn't as dark as Metro Gray is in real life (and for that matter the LSM model they show is far lighter than the LSM I see every day...) so I would take these examples with a fair degree of salt.

I think I might be sold on meteor gray then.. I've always wanted a nice dark gray/charcoal vehicle unlike mainstream silver/gray. This and white, black are my top 3.

Judging from those images, the Meteor Gray is darker with a tad bit of magenta but in actuality the Meteor Gray in the pics isn't as dark as Metro Gray is in real life (and for that matter the LSM model they show is far lighter than the LSM I see every day...) so I would take these examples with a fair degree of salt.

Good to know. I definitely like the pictures of this color I've seen more than Metro grey though. Definitely down to this or Soul Red, but I really would like to see both in person before making a decision :-/

I think I might be sold on meteor gray then.. I've always wanted a nice dark gray/charcoal vehicle unlike mainstream silver/gray. This and white, black are my top 3.

I guess I must be mainstream since the 2 BMW's are Space Gray and will be ordering Liq Silver. The Meteor Gray would be my choice if I wasn't so anal as to how clean my cars look. I only hand wash my cars to avoid the death swirls of automatic car washes and that means that from late November to early April, when the hoses are put away for the winter, they don't get washed. The lighter grays really don't show dirt and if they get really bad due to messy snow & road salt, I go to the self service car washes and only use their pressure hose to rinse off.

The CX-5 looks great in all the colors offered and everyone must be happy with their choice, unlike Henry Ford who said the customer can have any color they want as long as it's black.

From the Morries pics it looks like they went with leather or fake leather for the arm rests even though the seats are fabric. While the fabric arm rests looks nice in the 2013's, it is very thin. I agree that the meteor gray looks sharp. I do like it better than the metro gray.

Back