Final Protege Ignition System Thread

Ok I will be putting the system in today and trying everything again maybe we can work out the timing issuse this time wish me luck!

Good Luck Let us know

I was talking to this guy here in PR, he told me he had his protege running with the old ignition system out of a 94' 626, using the stock 626 exhaust cam to run the distributor.

a distributor setup is easier, but coil spark like what we have has many advantages...and the no 1 advantage is the spark can advance and retard throughout the rev range and throttle position. maximium safe power throughout the rev range. i'd like to see a distributor do that!

OK update.

First off I didn't get electrocuted once this time I"m proud I"m usually really good at that.

I busted out a couple of timing lights. You know those old ass things they used on mucsel cars in the day. First like any good engineer would do was gather base information. So I watched the timing with the stock ignition system on the car, and took notes on where the mark was at different RPM's idle, 2000, 3000, 4000. then of course we ripped it all out to install the new stuff.

Side note the bolts in our cars are the cheapest thing ever made if anyone knows where I can get a bolt kit let me know.

Couple of Brooklyn Browns later we have everything in the car and wired back up again. It doesn't take very long to get everything reconnected now that I have all the male and female ends installed. Doubled checked the wires like 3 times and started her up. To be honest the starts are a little rough and I now know why.

I started to check the firing on both banks as I did before and noticed one major thing right away. Channel one is firing what looks to be twice as much as Channel 2. Now I can't count that fast put it is am asumption that I am sure is true. If you compare Channel 2 to stock, the rate at which it fires looks identical, which is good. I switched some wires around so that the trigger for Ch.1 is now the trigger for Ch.2 and vise versa. Changed the plug wires around and now got the exact same results. Channel 1 (now trigger 2) is firing twice as much as the other.

This leads me to believe that I have a box that is broken. This is concievable because it is an older used box. I would still like to get my hands on an ociliscope to check the trigger wires to make sure that they have nothing to do with it before I buy a new one.

You could tell that the car was trying to conrol the timing (back to Trigger 1 for Channel 1) because if you watched the mark it would start around 10 and just advance advance advance then go back and do it all over again. It would advance to the point that was normally about where 3000RPM was stock. It was doing this because it was basically just continualy firing and it couldn't find the proper timing for the spark because it just kept going off.

I think that once I prove to myself that it isn't the trigger wires (which I reall don't think it is its just that a new unit is a chunk of $$ that could be going toward suspention) I will buy a new unit install it and everything will be gravey. I could send this one back to MSD and get it fixed but I don't want to wait that long. If any member has a unit they could mail me so i can test it I would be happy to compensate you for it. I just don't want to spend another 400$ right now I just spent 600$ on the TV for my car. We are one step closer though.

Note stock ignition is back and and car runs great.

Well I grabbed a cute girl to keep me company for the car ride and drove out to summit to spend too much money lol.

I purchase a New Programable DIS-2. The features on this thing FAR exceed the original. I will go into more details on them as soon as I get everything installed and working.

I also picked up a Dual oil filter relocator and oil cooler. I will be installing those when the turbo comes in.

I might get a change to put the new box in tonight if not tomorrow for sure I really want to get this done.

How might the DIS-2 work in conjunction with a Haltech E6X like I have? I am interested in how this turns out.

I would have to have more info on the E6X. I never really looked into it, so I'm not sure how you can tune your ignition on it. From what I do know you would basically have to routes to take. You could get the Non-Programable DIS-2 and just use it for what it is a ignition amplifier and make all of your timing changes through the E6X, or you could get the programable DIS-2 leave the ignition timing coming from the E6X at stock and make all of your corrections through the MSD Box.

I don't know exactly what you have in your car or what your future plans are for it, nor do I know what your options are for as far as programability with the E6K. I do know that Prog. DIS-2 has a few features I am yet to find anywhere else. Like you can add on a MAP sensor that plugs into the box and when you plug the box into your computer you can tune the box to retard so much according to how much boost you are pushing in .25 psi incroments. It has A LOT of timing functions that you can use too, but you will have to read the instrustion manule for it because there are to many for me to explain at this moment.

You will also have to figure out which unit will fit you best. If you can do all the timing changes you are going to need through the E6X then there is no reason to spend the extra money on the prog. DIS you can just get the original DIS. On the flip side if you find that you would like to implement some of the feature on the prog. one then you can do that also. You just have to make one note you will have to buy a new igniton coil and wires to fit.

aftershock63 said:
Well I grabbed a cute girl to keep me company for the car ride and drove out to summit to spend too much money lol.

I also picked up a Dual oil filter relocator and oil cooler. I will be installing those when the turbo comes in.

lol I"m just playing when I went out to summit I pick up the kit for the 626 turbo and just bought the standard Summit brand tranny cooler. The only other thing you may need is some extra hose.

After, thanks for the info. I have the HIboost kit and will be going upwards of 20psi someday. The E6X can control timing and uses a 3bar MAP. So, I guess I should be looking at the DIS-1 or is it called the non-pro DIS-2?

You would be looking at getting the DIS-2 PN 6211. There is also a High Output DIS-2 but I do not think that it is nessisary. The name of the one I bought is "Programable DIS-2" PN 6212.

The "2" after the DIS is referring to the number of channels that it can handel. Since our cars on have 2 coil packs we only need 2 channels hense the DIS-2. Now if Our cars had 4 coil packs we would need to get either 2 DIS-2's or one DIS-4 to support all 4 channels.

Afterschock, Since I am already controlling timing do you think I should go with the MSD Stacker, PN 7010. I was just looking at it on the msd website and it seems to be a good choice...

Of course I would have to get blaster coils or something....

edit: nevermind, I guess the stackers have to have coil per cylinder, not waste spark...I also saw that you didn't want to mess with that route...

Please ignore my ignorance and continue.

Last edited:
note taken ignored

I'm a dumb ass and din't take home the laptop last night so didn't get anything work on the car yet and if I for get to take it home this week you'll can take a wack at me

on a brighter not the turbo is being shipped today.

well i installed the new unit this past weekend and I got about the same result. The first bank of cylinders is firing twice as much as the second. I believe that this problem is the root of all evil. If I can figure out how to get it to stop doing that then I think that I will be set. I am not 100% sure if it has to deal with the MSD box or the car I still do not have an ociliscope to check that out I really need to find one stat.

On a VERY GOOD note I was able to succesfully control the timing in the car. Now I still couldn't get it into the range it was supposed to be but I could definatly tell that the system was acutally retarding the timing.

So if I can find away to get this all worked out I am definatly buying the MAP sensor add-on and have fun with boost.

Back