Factory reverse cam with Aftermarket HU

:
Mazda 5 Sport Nav
Hello forum

I've searched for days to find something about how to reuse the factory reverse camera with an aftermarket head unit but not found anything.

Can it be done?
Or rather, how is it done?

Thank you

I have never seen a factory one before, but is the factory camera quality really that good?

rewiring the video cable isn't that difficult, just a several signal wires inside a thick cable, but the copper wires inside each individual one are quite thin. Basically, +/- wire and several signal wires, the + wire goes to the brake light socket. Any reverse camera should work the same.

Thanks asian_xl
I know how to wire a camera in, I was hoping someone would have experience with a factory navigation system camera wiring. The picture quality is fine, I have no desire to replace the camera.

Does anybody have or know where to get wiring diagrams from please?

I bet 99% of the owner here has this OEM head unit without the reverse camera (see below) or have replaced with an aftermarket one

2009-2012-Mazda-5-dashboard.jpg

I bet 99% of the owner here has this OEM head unit without the reverse camera (see below) or have replaced with an aftermarket one
(iagree)

I've not seen any on the road yet with stock backup camera. Mandatory cameras laws came into affect after production stopped and few buy high end.
Just figure out yourself what the wiring is.
Cut the cable going into the camera and find what they do with a multimeter, unfortunately I don't have the wiring diagram.

Last edited:
Yup.

Poor people like me buy mazda5

I turn my shoulder to see whats behind me
Worked for 117,000 miles so far

2009-2012-Mazda-5-dashboard.jpg

Well I'm based in UK and I suspect we have quite different spec models. Plus mine is 2008 with a dvd drive satnav unit.

I'm hoping someone knows where I can get s wiring diagram to interpret the function of the camera rather than cutting into it.

Has anybody else tried this please?

you sure the camera is OEM? I have backup beeping sensor pre-installed and I found it is just cheapo chinese unit with bad wiring behind the bumper done by the dealer.

I understand your concern on having the reverse camera, but most owner here wouldn't bother with it and go straight aftermarket camera

Original specifications say it has a reverse camera and it's part of the owner's manual and software (various settings and operating options). So I'm sure it's factory not dealership. But I'll loose that with an aftermarket head unit and in the confines of Britain seeing behind you with a camera is hugely helpful.

I'll post if I find anything or if/how I get it to work.

Can anybody direct me to wiring diagrams for the 5 please?

Hello forum

I've searched for days to find something about how to reuse the factory reverse camera with an aftermarket head unit but not found anything.

Can it be done?
Or rather, how is it done?

Thank you
It can be done. A camera is nothing more then video feed + ground and a power/trigger. I have no experience with the OEM Navi unit but I*m 99.99% sure the connector is a clip type. OEM does not use RCA bc it technically is not secure from vibrations. Great for home use but not auto. Aftermarket stuff uses RCA bc it is universal. So, you will likely need to clip off and solder a RCA end to connect it to the aftermarket radio and splice in the power/trigger. It is unlikely you are going to remove camera to solder RCA end so be careful working in the cabin.

OR, it is also likely Mazda reuses the same connector for other Mazda products so you can look into, say Mazda CX_ converter cable. 1st step you need to do is remove the radio to see what it looks like.

Google image *mazda5 radio pin out*

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Here is a pic of the back of the head unit. Lots of extra cables from this thing...

6f4b37758e6e903f353f392e6b9b8f8d.jpg
8df3d89f784133fb59ff0d3e544e855d.jpg

I'm not sure which is the camera feed though. Or how the reverse action works. I'll look into the CX adapter.

Take off the hatch door panel, lift the weather cover, and see if you can identify the backup camera's wiring color code. This will give you a head start on what to look for at the back of the headunit. Btw, can you post a pic of the top of the headunit casing to see who makes it?

Reverse engineer below (remove space). Has reference to back-up cam pin out and convertible cable. Looks like the OEM camera is 6V so you may need a step down converter if the aftermarket radio supplies 12V or you want to tap into a different 12V source.

https://forum .mazda6club.com/electrical-hvac-lighting-audio/384361-how-install-backup-camera-bose-navigation-system.html

176098d1456700335-how-install-backup-camera-bose-navigation-system-img_1805.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all.

It's been far too long but I finally got my oscilloscope out and found the damn video feed. Sadly it didn't include the lines with steering input like the OEM Sanyo unit displayed, I expected the Park Assist module to compute this but seems it doesn't do a lot more than pass the video on to the head unit...

But the video picture is good, I hooked up an RCA cable to the terminals and it's working in my Pioneer headunit.

FYI best info I found was this, so here are the terminals you need, from connector 4. I assume maybe the other 2 wires on this side of the connector are for steering guide video but I sold the Sanyo head unit otherwise I'd try find the circuit generating that image and remove it from the unit to get the final output video of the guide lines steering with the car. But sadly not this time...

Mazda5 SanyoHead unit~2.jpg

Hopefully this might help someone else in future though these can't be that common a vehicle anymore, and this headunit was rare to begin with...

Take off the hatch door panel, lift the weather cover, and see if you can identify the backup camera's wiring color code. This will give you a head start on what to look for at the back of the headunit. Btw, can you post a pic of the top of the headunit casing to see who makes it?

Reverse engineer below (remove space). Has reference to back-up cam pin out and convertible cable. Looks like the OEM camera is 6V so you may need a step down converter if the aftermarket radio supplies 12V or you want to tap into a different 12V source.

https://forum .mazda6club.com/electrical-hvac-lighting-audio/384361-how-install-backup-camera-bose-navigation-system.html

176098d1456700335-how-install-backup-camera-bose-navigation-system-img_1805.jpg
PS this image is incorrect, my unit never had any connection in this port, as indicated in my above post... I can't guarantee it isn't an input for a different model though...

Does the wiring diagram in the factory service manual not have the info you need?

Mine has all junctions, connections, wire colors, connectors, etc for every system in the car.

Bought it on ebay for my 2010 for like $10 as a PDF download.

It's pointless to work on these case without it.

Hello all.

It's been far too long but I finally got my oscilloscope out and found the damn video feed. Sadly it didn't include the lines with steering input like the OEM Sanyo unit displayed, I expected the Park Assist module to compute this but seems it doesn't do a lot more than pass the video on to the head unit...

But the video picture is good, I hooked up an RCA cable to the terminals and it's working in my Pioneer headunit.

FYI best info I found was this, so here are the terminals you need, from connector 4. I assume maybe the other 2 wires on this side of the connector are for steering guide video but I sold the Sanyo head unit otherwise I'd try find the circuit generating that image and remove it from the unit to get the final output video of the guide lines steering with the car. But sadly not this time...

View attachment 304168

Hopefully this might help someone else in future though these can't be that common a vehicle anymore, and this headunit was rare to begin with...
I just searched that. nav part no, and the only 3 units that show up are located in Russia... Man, you have a UNICORN! Sell it to me?

Back