Factory Reset Infotainment and dealer is saying CMU is gone?

Howdy everyone,

First time poster here. I'm going to try and remain as calm as possible as right now I'm livid with what's going on with my 2016 CX-5.

I have a '16 CX-5 and recently planned on taking on the Android Auto/CarPlay install myself. I was getting ready to buy the kit on Amazon but decided I would factory reset the infotainment system just because I wanted a clean slate.

But now the infotainment system is simply stuck on the Mazda logo. The factory reset did indeed occur as my door locks would normally all auto lock but now just the front door does as well as my walk away lock functionality went away. The backup camera works perfectly fine and when I turn up the volume, I can hear a crackle so it's picking up a radio frequency. My hypothesis on what happened was that at some point either me or the dealer updated the firmware and now that the firmware was reset, it's confused. I've tried all the soft/hard resets but nothing seems to happen.

Anybody else have a similar issue? I figured if the CMU was broken, then there's no way the Backup Camera nor the radio would work. This dealership screwed up my brake repair a year ago so I'm skeptical on whether they're simply trying to wring more money out of me or if this is actually the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have Navigation? Maybe try pulling the Nav SD card out and restarting the car. Have you also tried disconnecting the battery and holding the brake pedal down to discharge all electricity, then reconnecting the battery?

Do you have Navigation? Maybe try pulling the Nav SD card out and restarting the car. Have you also tried disconnecting the battery and holding the brake pedal down to discharge all electricity, then reconnecting the battery?
Yep, tried removing SD card but no luck. Didn't try the holding the brake pedal down... I did disconnect the battery however.

I hope the dealer tried these things...

Never assume any mechanic - dealer or not - does all the logical steps first. Trust but verify.

Howdy everyone,

First time poster here. I'm going to try and remain as calm as possible as right now I'm livid with what's going on with my 2016 CX-5.

I have a '16 CX-5 and recently planned on taking on the Android Auto/CarPlay install myself. I was getting ready to buy the kit on Amazon but decided I would factory reset the infotainment system just because I wanted a clean slate.

But now the infotainment system is simply stuck on the Mazda logo. The factory reset did indeed occur as my door locks would normally all auto lock but now just the front door does as well as my walk away lock functionality went away. The backup camera works perfectly fine and when I turn up the volume, I can hear a crackle so it's picking up a radio frequency. My hypothesis on what happened was that at some point either me or the dealer updated the firmware and now that the firmware was reset, it's confused. I've tried all the soft/hard resets but nothing seems to happen.

Anybody else have a similar issue? I figured if the CMU was broken, then there's no way the Backup Camera nor the radio would work. This dealership screwed up my brake repair a year ago so I'm skeptical on whether they're simply trying to wring more money out of me or if this is actually the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
@sganesh
Your cmu is in a state of software bricked, have a look at the first link (required ssh serial connection, depends on your fw whether you can get root access) Stuck in an installation loop from V.59 to V.70

If that fail, check this link and watch the video to recuse your cmu. Also read some of the comments in that thread it'll help you to recover your cmu. Black Screen MZD

Back