Factory 6 Disc

mtnbiker26

Bike Geek
Will replacing the factory six disc in my P5 with an aftermarket head unit kill any features like the chime when your lights are on or your door is open?

The factory unit has been skipping so I'm thinking about getting the pocket and a new single din unit and I'm just weighing the pros and cons. I've already replaced the door speakers and added two amps and a sub so the head unit would be kind of a cool upgrade.

Replacing the head unit will have no effect on the rest of the car. I have a 2003 P5 and I recently replaced the head unit w/ a new Sony one. I just bought a wiring harness and dash kit and it was very simple. The new headunit even dims when you turn on your headlights.

By the way, what kind of bike do you have? I'm also really into mountain biking. I have a Santa Cruz Blur w/ XTR drivetrain, hayes mag plus brakes, Mavic/Chris King wheels.

You'll be all set like jonlong said. I would suggest Alpine, Eclipse. or Pioneer decks as my personal favorites. Or for no frills and all SQ, there's Nakamichi! :D

Nope no lost features unless you consider the color-matched lighting a feature. It effects nothing outside of your audio system. Prettymuch deck-wise, Eclipse/Alpine would be my vote as well. Lots of sweet stuff to be had, jsut don't get too distracted by ricy neat-o diplays and such. Decks that don't have dolphin screensavers have more room (physically and budget-wise) for good quality audio components. Or you could just get one of the new Eclipse AVN's 2din nav/dvd/mp3/ etc... ;) it's only a couple grand...

Speaking of a couple of grand... Cyclist here as well. My bikes:
98 Kona Hei Hei (ti HT) marz/Xtr/raceface/hope.
02 Cortina 4130 Slalom/playbike. Steel HT fox/hayes/atomlabs
02 Giant TCR builtup with Campy veloce.
And soon I'll have another Steel HT playbike. My buddy just started up a fraebuilding company specalizing in slalom/jump frames.

Yeah, it all just depends on whether or not it continues to skip. I like the factory radio because the dash lights match and nobody is going to consider that there are amps and a sub in the car worth stealing. I can park in the city and not worry.

Here's the bike list:

Seven Sola Ti, full XTR, CrossMAX SL, Moots post, King headset, EC90 bars. 21 pounds!

'04 S-Works road frame, full Ultegra, Shimano 535 wheels. It's a bit heavy. I'm going to sell it and get the whole S-Works bike. Anyone ride a 52?

Specialized Hemi Comp frame, Crupi hubs, DX brakes, Fly bars, 'Zoke stem.

Haro 8.2, all stock, beater, dirt jumper, rag rack.

Back