F2 Supercharger

crempel

:
2006 Mazda 5 GT
http://www.f2usa.com/products/06%252d09-Mazda3-Supercharger-Kit-2.3-Manual-Stage-1.html
I found this in the mazda 3 forum. This would be a great option for Mazda 5 owners who want a bit more power and meet CARB. 4 hour bolt on for +50 whp. It hasn't been tested on a 5 yet, but the builder figures that it would work. I think he is looking for a test car. Maybe a bit more money than a turbo kit, but a better option in my opinion, plus you can remove it as easily as you install it. Let's get the interest going on this and maybe they'll put out a kit for us.

Last edited:
why manual only....doesnt the supercharger sit on top of the motor? how does the tranny matter?

Don't know about the 2.3, but the older 4AT in the 2.0 can't really hold too much boost unless you modify the valve body and quite possibly the torque converter. From turbocharging on the Focus 2.0 Mark 2, which is basically an identical engine (differences are mostly in valvetrain and tuning), over 200 whp causes the transmission to slip.

But most likely they specify manual transmission due to wiring differences.

It's only 50Hp more and on a supercharger doesnt it come on smoother than in a turbo since its based on the belt driven pulley? Man...now I'm bummed...this looked like something I could tackle.(drive2)

I believe I read in the f2 forums that they are developing it for automatics as well. The nice thing about super vs. turbo is that it leaves your entire exhaust intact, so it does not affect O2 sensors, or very much cutting. Apparently the whole installation takes 4-5 hours, and all you need is a wrench set. It can be removed just as quickly. The only concern they have with the Mazda 5 is that the fuel delivery maybe different and it would need to be tuned differently than the 3. That is why they are looking for a car to test. BTW, a Mazda 3 with the kit and no other mods does 0-60 in 5.6-5.8s (unofficially). It seems like very smooth power delivery. There are a number of vids in their forums.

Something about this setup just appeals to me so much more than a turbo. It just seems so much more reliable and simple than a turbo, even though the output isn't as great.

$65/per 1hp? not looking very good in a cost/benefit analysis kind of way...

Well if you pay for a ColdAir Intake...lets say like for the K&N I saw on ebay for $305 and it clames a 5hp gain...its about the same I guess....I'll take the supercharger

Have had an SC T-bird, & now have a Turboed V70. Similar hp, similar weight, both 5MT. To be truthful, I like the SC better, though the TC feels like the Space Shuttle once it hits 3K rpm. But I like the linear delivery, power-robbing belt and all.

If they are willing to pay for everyting I will test it out for them

I have an auto and everything.

F2, If your listening, Please make this avaiable for the 5. Im not a hard driver, just want some awsome passing power...

F2, If your listening, Please make this avaiable for the 5. Im not a hard driver, just want some awsome passing power...

I suggest anyone interested get on the F2 forum and let them know you like to see this. They're very quick in responding to comments on the site. It seemed like only focus and Mz3 owners posting on the forum. We need to represent Mz5's. I would love to volunteer my car, except that I don't live anywhere near their shop.

index.php

Last edited:
too bad for manual tranny only...

Here is what F2 is saying on a different forum regarding automatics:

Is Stage 1 safe for my transmission (list automatic and manual differences in power handling)?

Stage 1 is safe for all transmissions and even the stock clutch, but you must take care of your car. If you like to burn rubber a lot then no your parts will not last. Do not power-shift or abuse the drivetrain.​

Back