Extended warranty

rjg08cx9

Hi all
I am new here and just purchased a 2008 CX-9 GT. This car is everything I thought it would be so far, only had it 1 day. The one question I have is the dealer has offered the infamous extended warranty which would extend my current bumper to bumper coverage of 3 yr/36,000 to 6 yr/100,000 miles. They have a special deal on the price now: $1,500, normally it's around $2,900. I am very skeptical about this; the car is supposed to be very reliable and that is how they sold it and in the next breath they say "you know there are a lot of electrical devices here and if they go it could cost alot of money to fix. So which is it, the car is reliable or is it not, very contradictory. I believe the car is very well put together and it's my opinion not to shell out more money now for it. I would like to know everyone's opinion on this and what they did. They tell me I have until the end of the week to decide (for this great deal).
Thanks all.

ext warranty

Hi,
Congrats on your new CX9!

There is a thread on edmunds.com under CX9 that I started on ext warranty.
You can start from there to get info.
You don't need to decide now. As long as you buy on before the OE warranty expires, you are OK. (If you really want to buy one)
I usually observe the reliability within the OE warranty period to see if the vehicle is reliable and make decision based on that info (dump it? buy ext warranty? keep it w/o warranty?)

Thank you. That is our thought about the warranty, but the dealer is offering it at a decent price and just wondering if it's worth it. He makes the pitch that the electronics are expensive to replace and if they should go then....it's $1500 now and normally it's $2900 which I definitely wouldn't do. I looked at the thread at edmunds but no one gives an opinion on whether it's worth it or not, just there thoughts on price. I am leaning towards keeping the money in the bank for now.

Thank you. That is our thought about the warranty, but the dealer is offering it at a decent price and just wondering if it's worth it. He makes the pitch that the electronics are expensive to replace and if they should go then....it's $1500 now and normally it's $2900 which I definitely wouldn't do. I looked at the thread at edmunds but no one gives an opinion on whether it's worth it or not, just there thoughts on price. I am leaning towards keeping the money in the bank for now.

Ceric and I had this discussion on the Edmunds forum a while back :)

Still under warranty so haven't had to call on my plan but, My Mazda Dealer offered me the "Ford" plan for $1400 to double the standard warranty with a $100 deductible. It was about $2000 with no deductible.

I went with a AAA bumper to bumper warranty for $1600 for 7 Years/100000 miles with $0 deductible.

Had to force a few more phone call but was worth the time vs. the cost difference.

nolig2278,
If this does not violate the rule here,....
please check out the thread of Extended Warranty on edmunds.com's forum of CX9.

So, did you buy it? Was it the factory (Mazda) plan or something aftermarket? Please let us know the details...

I bought my extended warranty with my CX-9 at the dealership. It was like the diamond platinum warranty or some crap like that. Costs me $99.22 for the next 18 months. Worth it in my book, as I have experienced with various other makes of cars that things break just after the normal warranty expires. Had to have my catalytic converters, mass airflow sensor, park sensor, etc replaced on my VW after the original warranty expired. Thankfully I had an extended warranty. The repair costs would have surpased the warranty cost by a long shot.

I bought my extended warranty with my CX-9 at the dealership. It was like the diamond platinum warranty or some crap like that. Costs me $99.22 for the next 18 months. Worth it in my book, as I have experienced with various other makes of cars that things break just after the normal warranty expires. Had to have my catalytic converters, mass airflow sensor, park sensor, etc replaced on my VW after the original warranty expired. Thankfully I had an extended warranty. The repair costs would have surpased the warranty cost by a long shot.

Hey buddy,

Do you have to buy the warranty from the same dealership where you bought your car? Or can I just walk in to another dealership and tell them I would like to buy extend warranty? The reason I ask is because I hate the dealership from where I bought the car---Castle Mazda. I think we have discussed this before in the MD forum... :eek:

So it's only $100 to cover the next 1.5 years? Not bad at all! My 9 is at 35K miles right now. I am worry about the car might break down the road. If I understand Mazda's warranty correctly. Their powertrain warranty covers up to 6 years or 60,000miles. The 3 years or 36,000miles is just bumper to bumper, right?

Hey buddy,

Do you have to buy the warranty from the same dealership where you bought your car? Or can I just walk in to another dealership and tell them I would like to buy extend warranty? The reason I ask is because I hate the dealership from where I bought the car---Castle Mazda. I think we have discussed this before in the MD forum... :eek:

So it's only $100 to cover the next 1.5 years? Not bad at all! My 9 is at 35K miles right now. I am worry about the car might break down the road. If I understand Mazda's warranty correctly. Their powertrain warranty covers up to 6 years or 60,000miles. The 3 years or 36,000miles is just bumper to bumper, right?

He means almost $100 per month for the next 18 months = $1800.
You should be able to walk into any Mazda or even Ford dealer and apply for an extended warranty.

I purchased the AAA extended warranty which covers me for an extra year and 10 to 15K more miles for about $200 less that what Mazda/Ford were offering me and without a deductible. (~$1600)

We added the Zurich Extended Warranty when we bought ours. Great coverage far beyond the factory and only $26 more each month. Felt it was worth it for a brand new car with a $3500 transmission. Plus all the other things I could never repair myself.

In this case it's worth it...

The transfer case in the AWD GT has a list price of $5400 (yes, you read that correctly). Considering the price of the transfer and the transmission, mentioned above, this is one vehicle where buying an extended warranty would very likely be worth the expense. Especially if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time.

The Mazda MEPP plan is a good one and usually negotiable in price.

Hey buddy,

Bro,

The dealership were I bought my FWD car that was supposed to be an AWD car, and only ordered 1 yr registration when I paid for 2 yrs, etc. is where I got mine. Ourisman Mazda of Laurel blows donkey d#ck, but because they humped the pooch, they offered my many deals. The warranty was one small piece. If you intend on keeping the car for a short period then the extended warranty is no good. If on the other hand you intend on keeping it for a bit, then the extended option might, and I say Might, work for you if major things Sh*t the bed.

How does one get the mazda extended warranty?
costs?

thanks

mazda plan is te ford plan, ford manages it. they all it easy care
dealers elect at there own option to sell MEPP or not.\\You have to call around

My dealer included an 8-year 100k Mazda warranty with all new or certified used cars so it was included. Having a loaner for servicing is nice.

Back