experienced help plz

:
Mazdaspeed3
Im installing my oil catch can this afternoon and realized it was "more than a b****" to get the intake manifold off. When i had it all exposed I couldn't figure out how to get the bolt where the power steering pump is. do you need to release the tensioner and removed the pump as well to take off the manifold? I know a few poeple tat have had the intake manifoold off a few times and was wondering if anyone could give me a nice little write-up on how to get this s*** apart so I can get to that damn PCV. It's funny when i read the write up that wooosh made for everyone. it soudned so simple, but it's proven to be "more than a b****" for me thats for sure. any takers?

Last edited:
bump/.....

come on guys....i know theres like 4 of you whos taken this thing off numerous times. im going to do this saturday and i have a feeling its going to be much less of a b**** with a "cheat sheet"

i work for mazda must say it's been awhile since i've taken a mzr intake mani off if i remember correctly yes you need to remove the belt and remove the PS pump assembly to make it easier and to get to that bolt unless like myself and others you have a awesome selection of tools and can use some swivels and swivel sockets but i've always just removed it to make things easy but what exaclty do you need to know again ? just how to get to that bolt ? a bunch of stuf has to come off just take your time and be patient not to break anything specially the IMRC ( Intake Manifold Runner Control ) valve , linkage , etc I've seen countless people brake that thing trying to remove it or the manifold and if it's just the valve it's a cheap fix if it's the linkage at the end you have to buy a whole new mani. So again what all do you need to know.

alright. i have all day to do this so im in no hurry. thanks. i just wanted to know if i needed to undertake the belt and ps pump to get to the mani bolts. appreciated.

ps...where is the runner control? is that part of the manifold or does it link off of the throttle body? If i know where to find it i know when to be extra careful.

even better. i tried again and failed again. i think there is no belt tensioner? or if there is its not cool. all i can think of otherwise is the belt tensioner is the alternator which i will never get to and re-tension...ize...it....
**** it....i call it quits. who ever got these damn things in, i commend you for a fantastic job well done. lol.
any motivation and instructions to try again will be more than welcome.

Back