Exhaust Noise

Kauai Dave

:
'07 Nissan Titan!
So I have an '88 Rx gtu NA. I have the racing beat header, and pre-silencer, into an apex-i universal turbo app exhaust. The neighbors recently have been complaining about the noise. I have looked into ways to silence the noise. apex-i makes two silencers. I would like to know if anyone has heard if this makes a big difference.

i have a resolution for you...tell them to suck it up? i bet you i have a car that is just as loud and i have no neighbor complaints and i live on a private road.

The Racing Beat turbo back is really quiet, and I think you can get it in cat-back form, so maybe that's a good option? I liked the sound of the RB exhaust on my Turbo II, and it was actually a little quieter than the stock system it had on it when I purchased the FC.

I would think that would be the best option. *shrugs* If I'm remembering the sound of N/A RX7's properly, I'm betting your ears would thank you, too. =) The NA GTU's that used to run all around the street courses up in New Hampshire were deafeningly loud, and sounded like angry, evil weedwhackers. But they had no mufflers or anything, in those cases.

Thanks for the replys. =) I neglected to mention I'm kinda on a budget. I checked around and the ATS system from apex-i is about 170$ and around 60$ for the solid silencer.
I'm just looking to keep it quiet at idle to about 2500 rpms.

Go for the solid one, then, budget withstanding. It should do you just fine. I've heard silencers on other cars, and it should at least mute it reasonably well.

I think I'll take your advise. I just didn't want to buy into something that wasn't going to make any difference.

That's one of the things about playing with rotaries.... They're.... uh.... noisy...

Dan

Yeah really noisy. When I just got my car back after having the header installed, I found out then how noisy it really was. Since then I've had lots of ppl complaining about the noise.

It's difficult to "loosen" up a rotary's exhaust and keep it at a decent decibel level. :D

I wrapped my DP to reduce underhood temps and found that it quieted it down a bit, at least from within the car. Not sure if that would be something to try on your headers, but a roll of header wrap doesn't cost very much.

Back