Need help diagnosing noise (2014 Mazda3)

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2014 sGrandTouring Mazda 3 Hatch, been loving the car but a weird noise has started recently. Sounds like a very loud clicking/exhaust leak. It only happens when I am starting to accelerate in lower rpm’s but once I hit around 2k it goes away. Also sometimes when I come to a stop the sound comes back continuously (this is when it sounds like clicking) until I get on the gas or it stops after a seemingly random amount of time. Shifting into neutral while it’s making the noise makes it stop, and the noise only happens when the AC is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Is there an AC belt? It could also be related to a pulley or compressor bearing. I bought a mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight. It can come in handy when trying to pinpoint noises in the engine bay.
If it has something to do with the exhaust or something else under the car, it may be best to take it to a shop with a lift.

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2014 sGrandTouring Mazda 3 Hatch, been loving the car but a weird noise has started recently. Sounds like a very loud clicking/exhaust leak. It only happens when I am starting to accelerate in lower rpm’s but once I hit around 2k it goes away. Also sometimes when I come to a stop the sound comes back continuously (this is when it sounds like clicking) until I get on the gas or it stops after a seemingly random amount of time. Shifting into neutral while it’s making the noise makes it stop, and the noise only happens when the AC is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. You may need to have Mazda do noise diagnostic. Here was my Dealer cost.

Noise diagnosis $1,159.00

Replace both front wheel bearings…
View attachment 320224
View attachment 320224

Back