CX-5 2021 Weird noise when cold start

Hi everybody,

We have recently bought a CX5 2021 GS (43000 KMs) and sometimes in cold start (happened twice), we can hear a strange noise. The noise stops after some minutes (like 5 minutes) of the drive and can be heard only at low speed (less than around 40 km/h )

We took the car to the dealership but we/they could not reproduce the noise.

I tried to record the noise with my phone (not very good quality, sorry). You can hear the noise between "1s to 5 s" and "10s to 13s" , more like a ticking noise if I am not making a mistake.

any idea what this noise could be ?

Video link

Attachments

• Ludovigue-1.mp3
    234.1 KB
Last edited:
general engine noise because the engine is cold? Don't rev it too much til it warms up.

general engine noise because the engine is cold? Don't rev it too much til it warms up.
I did talk to a mechanic and he told me this problem is due to traveling short distances or when the vehicles sit for a long time. Seems popular with the Mazda CX-5 according to him.
He suggested revving the engine for 3 minutes at 2500 RPM to bleed the hydraulic lash adjuster which I did and the problem is resolved for now. In case the noise remains, the lifter should be replaced (for free under warranty)

I hope this helps others in case of the same problem.

I did talk to a mechanic and he told me this problem is due to traveling short distances or when the vehicles sit for a long time. Seems popular with the Mazda CX-5 according to him.
He suggested revving the engine for 3 minutes at 2500 RPM to bleed the hydraulic lash adjuster which I did and the problem is resolved for now. In case the noise remains, the lifter should be replaced (for free under warranty)

I hope this helps others in case of the same problem.
that's how Mazda says to fix the issue on new units that come with that issue right off the truck

Does it happen only when cold outside and when the engine is cold?
Irs tough to guess the noise as audio gets skewed.
When was the last time you change oil and what oil and filter was used?

Does it happen only when cold outside and when the engine is cold?
Irs tough to guess the noise as audio gets skewed.
When was the last time you change oil and what oil and filter was used?
Now, the problem is resolved after following the steps I explained above.
However, I had the problem when it was cold outside and I changed the oil recently, less than two months ago.

I look closely to see if the noise comes back.

Back