*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

Dealer says my Noise is DSC activating (despite no light) and not related to the posted TSB. The Service writer that helped me was surprising cool though. Basically told me to be safe to bring the car back again in a week with the same complaint so they have two documented reports of an intermittent steering noise that way if something does go wrong when the car is out of warranty they can still try and push to warranty the parts based on the documentation that was recorded while under warranty. (hopefully that makes sense) Tech said he couldn't reproduce the noise when he and the service manager drove the car and if it gets worse to bring it back also. Guess ill keep my fingers crossed for now.

My 2011 Mazda2 began acting up about 6 months ago at approx 45,000km. Clunk or knocking sounds at low speeds when turning the wheel - particularly when parking in reverse. Doesn't mater if it's a cold start or not. Don't have to be a full turn either, partial turn of the wheel causes it too.

At first the dealership thought it was the steering rack and pinion assembly (TSB 06-12-02) and replaced the entire thing under warranty. However, this did not solve the problem and I took the car in immediately following this visit. The second time I brought it in, they replaced what they called a faulty strut bearing and, sure enough, the problem went away. However, again after about 12,000km or 4 months I'm having the same problem. Going to take the car into the dealership this week. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Glad you posted this. I haven't seen any sign of the problem everyone else is describing, but it seems like it happens eventually. The faulty strut bearing thing is an interesting turn. I wonder if this has been misdiagnosed all along by the dealer network...

My 2011 Mazda2 began acting up about 6 months ago at approx 45,000km. Clunk or knocking sounds at low speeds when turning the wheel - particularly when parking in reverse. Doesn't mater if it's a cold start or not. Don't have to be a full turn either, partial turn of the wheel causes it too.

At first the dealership thought it was the steering rack and pinion assembly (TSB 06-12-02) and replaced the entire thing under warranty. However, this did not solve the problem and I took the car in immediately following this visit. The second time I brought it in, they replaced what they called a faulty strut bearing and, sure enough, the problem went away. However, again after about 12,000km or 4 months I'm having the same problem. Going to take the car into the dealership this week. Wish me luck.

Interesting. All I know is that replacing the rack fixed the problem for me. I am still worried it will pop up again in the future, though.

Hello everyone,

My story is that I own a 2013 and at under 3k miles. I start to hear clunk that would happen every time my car would sit still for an extended period of time. Then once it hit around 9-10mph the noise would happen. Now at just over 6k, it's a lot louder and it makes a low pitch clunk then a high pitched one following it.

Are we talking the same issue here?

I've also noticed that when I am corning on say an on ramp to a freeway and the car hits bump. I get the same noise and I feel my gas pedal move under my feet. To me that seems bothersome. Should I worry?

Anyone have any similar stories?

I've also noticed that when I am corning on say an on ramp to a freeway and the car hits bump. I get the same noise and I feel my gas pedal move under my feet. To me that seems bothersome. Should I worry?

Try turning off the DSC and see if that changes the freeway ramp noise.
I have noticed on my '13 model that the DSC engages with different
intensities depending on velocity which affects the yaw angle
and the degree of steering angle input. Subtle DSC engagement
doesn't seem to trigger the indicator light and full on engagement
usually has enough steering input that the steering wheel spoke
is blocking the indicator light which is located below the tach.

There is a relay-like sound at about 9 to 10 mph, I believe that is the traction control being initiated. If you're feeling something in the pedal at greater speeds when the car does not seem stressed, I would definitely get it checked out, especially since it looks like you are under warranty. Just to be safe. Especially with that multiple clunk thing.

Hello everyone,

My story is that I own a 2013 and at under 3k miles. I start to hear clunk that would happen every time my car would sit still for an extended period of time. Then once it hit around 9-10mph the noise would happen. Now at just over 6k, it's a lot louder and it makes a low pitch clunk then a high pitched one following it.

Are we talking the same issue here?

UPDATE:

I took my car into the dealership for the knocking sound as well as an oil change and tire swap (it's winter here in Canada - time for the winter tires!). Anyway, they changed the oil, put on my winter tires, then attempted to replicate the steering/knocking sound and couldn't do it. They called me and I went in thinking I could replicate it in no time and sure enough, I couldn't do it either. Seems like change over to the softer winter tires may be absorbing some of the knock. I'm 100% the issue is still there but I will have to wait till I get my summer tires back on before I can take it in again.

So roughly 2 months after they changed my steering rack I have some new loud clunking noises coming from the driver side foot well when the driver side hits bumps at low speeds.

This could be due to new springs, poor alignment from alignment shop, bad install of the steering rack or just noises from cold weather. only 12k miles, getting tired of this.

Got the summer tires back on and sure enough one week later, the knocking sound is back.

UPDATE:

I took my car into the dealership for the knocking sound as well as an oil change and tire swap (it's winter here in Canada - time for the winter tires!). Anyway, they changed the oil, put on my winter tires, then attempted to replicate the steering/knocking sound and couldn't do it. They called me and I went in thinking I could replicate it in no time and sure enough, I couldn't do it either. Seems like change over to the softer winter tires may be absorbing some of the knock. I'm 100% the issue is still there but I will have to wait till I get my summer tires back on before I can take it in again.

So what do you think is causing it? It seems like the wheels must be knocking against something as they travel vertically during suspension load. Maybe...

Mine went away after they changed my rack and pinion on warranty. Lately I think it's been coming back, though.

My issues were also remedied by the replacing of parts (the power steering gear thing). Though, I have recently noticed occasional grinding/clunks once again. It started just like this the last time...

The B-Spec car just stated getting the clunk. Good thing we have a nice rapport with the local Mazda dealer and I will be calling them up to see what they say about servicing it.

-Derrick

Has anyone had a problem getting their fix covered under warranty due to suspension mods? I want to get the Corksport adjustable dampers, but I don't want to screw myself out of a couple grand if I get the clunk later down the road.

This is totally crazy. After almost two years, still no one seems to know exactly what causes the clunk. It seems like different solutions have fixed it for different people.

I had a 2 at work a few months ago with a clunk, could only duplicate by hitting bumps with the wheel turned in specific directions/angles.

It was the steering intermediate shaft joint where it attaches to the column upper steering shaft. Assuming its not your strut bearings(usually culprit of grinding or popping while turning), I'd look at the steering shaft.

I remember ready one of the car reviews and they mentioned the one warranty item on the car had something to do with the steering rack or steering shaft. I think it was Car and Driver or one of the other major publications.

Latest posts

Back