*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

So basically we all need to rally together and report complaints to NHTSA until its a recall, which it should be at this point.

this might take time, gotta wait until more people catch up in miles and get the problem. I'm at 22k with nothing so far, but if it does happen eventually I'll help out. My car has a pretty good amount of mods but my local dealer hasn't said anything during my oil changes, this could change when they start actually losing money from warranty work though. Also i wonder how long it would take for NHTSA to actually work out the claims and work towards a recall, something tells me they wouldn't actually recall it since mazda is just replacing the stock part with another stock part.

Doesn't modding 101 teach you to remove all mods before warranty work? Having the air suspension on there gives them the opportunity to deny / void a warranty...

I don't know how the Warranty-TSB Repair / Service writing at a dealership work, but don't they(dealers) get paid by the manufacturer to repair these problems?

I only have 16k on mine and have the issue.

Yes the manufacturer pays for all warranty repair (as it is manufacturer result). And yes modding 101 does teach to remove mods before warranty, however removing air suspension is a pain in the butt and I knew the M&M warranty act prior to this ordeal and figured I would not have a problem. I am convinced that the issue really isn't the warranty its that the service manager didn't want to be wrong. I am going to attribute it to laziness and youth discrimination. He literally felt the need to talk down to me as if I knew nothing about the car... I just wanted to point out to him that I have completed all mods on the vehicle.

Well, I've had the clunk since I bought the car (had under 100 miles on it) I might need to get that done ASAP.

any new updates on this? I have an appointment tomorrow to get my car checked out.

The strange thing with my car is I only get a noise during high speed cornering. It sounds like an electric motor cutting in/out or struggling. Started as just a loud "TWANG" like sound mid corner almost like the initial acceleration sound only it resonated more like a spring. But the steering noise I have is particularly bad while driving on an on ramp or higher speed turns. The scary part is last week it started to make a much worse sound that was no longer one single pop but a repeating ZZZ, ZZZ, ZZZ electric buzz mid corner until I unwind the wheel.

*crosses fingers*

^Sounds like a problem.

Though I can guarantee my problem is unrelated to everyone else's. Just noise from bushings that need lubed.

any new updates on this? I have an appointment tomorrow to get my car checked out.

The strange thing with my car is I only get a noise during high speed cornering. It sounds like an electric motor cutting in/out or struggling. Started as just a loud "TWANG" like sound mid corner almost like the initial acceleration sound only it resonated more like a spring. But the steering noise I have is particularly bad while driving on an on ramp or higher speed turns. The scary part is last week it started to make a much worse sound that was no longer one single pop but a repeating ZZZ, ZZZ, ZZZ electric buzz mid corner until I unwind the wheel.

*crosses fingers*

Wow, yours sounds terrible.

-Derrick

Moniker, what bushings needed lube?

And yeah Wall - that sounds scary, man. Like stop driving that car right now scary. I don't want your screen name to be a true account!

^Sounds like a problem.

Though I can guarantee my problem is unrelated to everyone else's. Just noise from bushings that need lubed.

Last edited:
I just thought of one thing, if the unit really starts freaking out on you the power plug for it at the harness is in the drivers kick panel. It is a big black plug and if you pull it the power steering unit stops assisting.

It has been on my list to try, but I have not had a chance. Maybe this weekend I think I am open. I don't see how it can be worse than a normal car with manual steering.

I've had a little pop noise since I bought the car new. I don't hear it very often, but once in a while it shows up. I'm at 45k miles now, think maybe I should bring her in?

We actually found the plug on accident, when the cage was installed we moved all of the wiring out of the way. When everything was plugged back in it was missed, lol. It was easy to figure out something was wrong too.

-Derrick

Not sure if it was the swaybar bushings, or the control arms, but its one of those two. My theory is that rustproofing pushed out the factory lube, and my power washing of the underbody got rid of the rustproofing, thus no lubrication. When I hit it with white lithium is disappears for awhile.

Are you applying the lube to the swaybar bushings around the area where they meet the bar, or are you actually removing the bushings and lubing them and putting them back on? I thought I might have this steering clunk in a mild way, then I thought it was the springs clunking from not quite being installed right, now I'm quite sure it's just the sway bar bushings after taking everything else apart, but not checking the swaybar bushings... I did have a clunk/creaking sound in the past going over speed bumps and curbs that turned out to just be the swaybar needing lube. I just totally forgot about that :)

Not sure if it was the swaybar bushings, or the control arms, but its one of those two. My theory is that rustproofing pushed out the factory lube, and my power washing of the underbody got rid of the rustproofing, thus no lubrication. When I hit it with white lithium is disappears for awhile.

Honestly, I've been way too lazy to pull the swaybar and lube the bushing. I've just been getting as much penetration with the can as I could and calling it a day. It's annoying, but my warped rotors are higher on my priority list.

quick update and quick question

Does anyone know, (autocross/track crew?) When DSC is on, when it engages should the light on the gauge cluster turn on as well?

The dealer claims the second electric buzzing noise I hear when driving is the DSC engaging, and is perfectly normal. I find that hard to believe that I would be able to engage DSC getting on the freeway without seriously pushing the limit of the car. On top of that the light does not flash when the noise occurs. I have only had the DSC light kick on one time for me since owning the car and it was during a panic stop on bumpy uneven road and the tires were jumping around about during that stop. Otherwise never seen the DSC light engage.

for now the car is at the dealer and the clunking noise is being investigated, gave them the parts lists and TSB #'s posted here hopefully that helps.

thanks guys

Last edited:
You will see the DSC light when it engages, it will flash for a few seconds, you wont be able to miss it like you have seen. I would bet something else is going on.

-Derrick

Back