Comparing the 2019 GTR and 2024 Premium Turbo CX-5 models

Apollothedog

2019 CX-5 GTR
My 2019 GTR with 52k miles on it suffered the dreaded cracked cylinder head. Mazda is doing a total engine replacement but they'll have the car for another month. In the meantime they loaned me a 2024 Premium Plus which I have been driving for the last 3 weeks and put over 1200 miles on it.

The GTR came with Navigation which of course puts the speed limit and stop sign images on the HUD as well as the navigation directions. The 2024 does not come with navigation, but it does have wireless car play and it does put the directions from Apple Maps on the HUD. I was surprised to see this. Nice feature. I think the seats were modified and appear to be slightly more comfortable on the 2024. The infotainment system is much bigger and boots up extremely fast. Nice upgrade. The 2024 has a wireless charger as well.

The rear cross traffic alert in the 2019 seems better. It alerts quicker and also seems to pick up people as well as vehicles. I don't think the 2024 does this. it doesn't go off when someone walks behind me when backing out. The GTR has alerted me during the same scenario.

Audio systems appear to be almost identical. I didn't notice any improvement thought the 2024 has a few more settings. It also has an additional all wheel drive setting for off road and some nicer graphics on the speedometer when either sport or off road modes are engaged

All in all, this is a five year span in the model years, and the cars are basically identical except for the things I mentioned. Would I trade my 2019 for a 2024, nope, it's the same car. Handles the same, accelerates the same though I didn't put in premium. Guess the design is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it still works, At the end of the month, I have to renew the loaner. I'm going to ask for CX 50 instead. Would like to try something different.

I'm looking at replaceing my 2019 GTR with a 2024.
You say the 2024 doesn't come with Nav. Is that because there was no Nav card?

This would be a deal breaker for me because my wife uses the OEM Nav and would not use a
smartphone Nav app.

The only reason we would move up is to avoid what happened to you. Our powertrain expires in 9 months.

Yes. only sdcard.
Unless you go for Signature trim which gets the sdcard out of the box but msrp is way more now vs what it was in 2019.
I concur the car is the same so not much more to gain except its new car.

Yes. only sdcard.
Unless you go for Signature trim which gets the sdcard out of the box but msrp is way more now vs what it was in 2019.
I concur the car is the same so not much more to gain except its new car.
Thanks. I would just buy one of the SD cards on Amazon or Ebay for $40.00.

Does the PPlus have everything the Reserve has like ventilated seats, heated steering, etc?

My 2019 GTR with 52k miles on it suffered the dreaded cracked cylinder head. Mazda is doing a total engine replacement but they'll have the car for another month. In the meantime they loaned me a 2024 Premium Plus which I have been driving for the last 3 weeks and put over 1200 miles on it.

The GTR came with Navigation which of course puts the speed limit and stop sign images on the HUD as well as the navigation directions. The 2024 does not come with navigation, but it does have wireless car play and it does put the directions from Apple Maps on the HUD. I was surprised to see this. Nice feature. I think the seats were modified and appear to be slightly more comfortable on the 2024. The infotainment system is much bigger and boots up extremely fast. Nice upgrade. The 2024 has a wireless charger as well.

The rear cross traffic alert in the 2019 seems better. It alerts quicker and also seems to pick up people as well as vehicles. I don't think the 2024 does this. it doesn't go off when someone walks behind me when backing out. The GTR has alerted me during the same scenario.

Audio systems appear to be almost identical. I didn't notice any improvement thought the 2024 has a few more settings. It also has an additional all wheel drive setting for off road and some nicer graphics on the speedometer when either sport or off road modes are engaged

All in all, this is a five year span in the model years, and the cars are basically identical except for the things I mentioned. Would I trade my 2019 for a 2024, nope, it's the same car. Handles the same, accelerates the same though I didn't put in premium. Guess the design is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it still works, At the end of the month, I have to renew the loaner. I'm going to ask for CX 50 instead. Would like to try something different.
My '23 Turbo alerts me to people and cars crossing behind me, even if they aren't visible in the camera yet. And the navigation is available with SD card (I got one from Amazon for $25).

Overall there are several changes but it's going to depend on the trim level. The AWD system, front fascia, head lights, tail lights and cargo area were all updated for 2022+ and those are standard on all models. Of course the best version of the exterior lights are only on the turbo trims now.

Definitely drive a couple different models of CX-50 before making any decisions. It's different, but not better if you like CX-5's.

My '23 Turbo alerts me to people and cars crossing behind me, even if they aren't visible in the camera yet. And the navigation is available with SD card (I got one from Amazon for $25).

Overall there are several changes but it's going to depend on the trim level. The AWD system, front fascia, head lights, tail lights and cargo area were all updated for 2022+ and those are standard on all models. Of course the best version of the exterior lights are only on the turbo trims now.

Definitely drive a couple different models of CX-50 before making any decisions. It's different, but not better if you like CX-5's.
My 2019 does as well. The 2024 only alerts me to cars, not people. Wonder if I need to adjust a setting.

Back