EPA Mileage rating change from 2023 to 2024 CX-5?

Anyone notice the epa mileage rating changed from 24/30 in 2023 to 23/29 in 2024? I was at a dealership yesterday talking to their sales manager about this and he said he hadn't noticed it or heard anyone mention it before.

I'm aware of the CDA/iStop add in 2024, but Mazda USA shows mileage ratings with and without it. Just wondering whether anything changed in 2024 that would account for 1mpg. Maybe it's a weight thing? 3728 lbs in 2023; 3783 lbs in 2024.

I'm going to probably buy a 2023 used with low miles to replace my 2021 Carbon that was totaled - guy ran a red light and t-boned it with my wife driving. She's fine, I wasn't there. Got a check and in the hunt.

Also, anyone hear of a 2024 Carbon going OTD for $34k?

Mazda probably lists mileage with and without CDA/iStop because they have offered some units without those features due to parts shortages.

I would not worry about 1mpg probably just in how they did the testing. I do know my 2023 cx5 turbo has consistently gotten better than the mpg rating on the window sticker. If I were buying any vehicle this time of year I would always by the newest possible because you end up loosing resale value down the road..plus the wireless carplay alone makes it worth getting the 24.

From November 2023 the NA model is without CD due to parts shortages. Thats is why it shows lower mpg. Also its missing start stop too.
Which is good for people who want to buy new and without cylinder deactivation.
Until parts become available and Mazda resumes manufacturing with CD/start stop in the model.

I saw the lower mileage listing yesterday when I bought my CX 5. I was not bothered by it, because I did not want CD or I stop. It made me a happy camper.

Early 2024 models had 1 mpg higher on the window sticker. The ones made after Nov 23 show the lower rating

Sure it does!
As others here have pointed out, it gets slightly better mileage with those components in place.
No it doesn’t. The rating in 2024 is 1 mpg lower than 2023. If CD increases mpg, and some 2024s don’t have it, then you’d expect them to be the same as 2023, not worse.

No it doesn’t. The rating in 2024 is 1 mpg lower than 2023. If CD increases mpg, and some 2024s don’t have it, then you’d expect them to be the same as 2023, not worse.
Huh?

They were probably rated without CD and i-Stop, opposite of 2023.

Huh?

They were probably rated without CD and i-Stop, opposite of 2023.
Oh. So 2023 had CD and I-stop? I’m pushing on this because I’m looking for a 2023 to replace my 2021 that was totaled. I really don’t want the istop - but then again, from other threads sounds like it can be disabled. If so, then no biggie.

As for the 1 mpg, just trying to understand what, if anything, changed that would account for it. That’s all. I do notice a weight difference between 23 and 24. Maybe it’s that.

I don't know how many ways this has been said here, but to reiterate: '23s had CD only; early 24s had both CD and i-stop which resulted in slightly better fuel mileage until Mazda ran out of parts for both. At which point the mileage figures fell 1 mpg back to what they were in '23. This is not rocket science!

Back