Engine Warm Up Turbo Version

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
When I start my 2020 Signature turbo first thing in the morning it operates at a high speed idle for twenty or thirty seconds before dropping down to normal idle.
Do non turbo vehicles behave the same way or is it a turbo thing?

Mine does the same thing. I let it settle down (about the same time it takes for the HUD to boot up) before dropping into gear. My past cars (non-turbo) acted similarly; with either ECU controlled throttle bodies, or carbureted. It think it has to do with a richer mix to get the first ignition and then it leans out as combustion stabilizes.

It’s done with all modern cars to help fireup/heat up the Catalytic converter. All modern cars do this. I typically give it 30 seconds to 1 minute until the idle drop down. Baby the throttle until temp start to reach operating temp (usually more important in the winter)

More important is to give the turbo several seconds to spin down and cool down after being run. I used to let my Ford idle 60 seconds so the oil in the turbo bearings wouldn't bake after shutdown.

That’s more for older turbos that are oil cooled and not both oil and coolant cooled.

But I do agre, If you are a beating hard on the car all the way to the parking spot you should definitely let it idle for a couple seconds.

Back