engine revving by itself

nizzy1115

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
Only happened one time but i was positive as to what was happening. Car was parked at work and i went to leave for the day. I put the car in reverse and backed out of the spot and then put the car into drive and the car was accelerating on its own to about 2500 rpm. I put both feet on the floor to prove it wasnt me and it was still rapidly accelerating. I put it into neutral and back into drive (without touching the pedals) and the rpm went back to normal.

Anyone else experience this?

Was the little blue 'thermometer' light lit on the cluster? Maybe it's the cat warm-up feature?

This sounds to me a little bit like the high idle RPM all skyactiv cars experience at startup, but The high revs of warm up should stop as soon as the car starts moving!

With the manual transmission, the warm up revs (which drop as soon as the car starts moving) make for some jerking driving out of the parking lot if I do not wait a few seconds for the RPM to stabilize.

Car was cold but my car is an automatic. It did feel like the high rev startup forgot to shut off when the car when into gear.

If it were the accelerated warm-up, high idle feature, it should have maintained the high RPM, even when shifted back into neutral, assuming you hadn't allowed it to run for longer than 15-20 seconds or so...

Were you on a slight incline>? Perhaps it was the hill-hold feature?

Make sure that floormat is not getting in the way, and be sure you have only one floormat at a time, ( do not stack the all weather mats on top of the carpet mats)

Started the car and shifted to reverse then drive all pretty quickly.

No incline, flat parking lot that i park in every day.

Only using all season mats properly installed. The gas pedal was not being pressed.

I've posted before about the car revving high when starting "cold", even in August.

Now in November when it really is cold, or cooler, and the car often starts cold WITH OUT revving high?

Can anyone explain what's happening, I'm happy for the car to start normally ie low revs, but can't find any pattern to establish when the car will rev its nuts off.

As I've said it will often start up with low revs with a genuine cold engine, setting off the blue engine temperature indicator is lit.

I did start a separate thread on this but can't find it, my profile only stores a limit number.

Same here, no high revs about 70% of the time now with temps below 10 deg c. Summer with temps over 20 deg c early in the morning it always was high. I don't mind as I drive off straight away but does seem strange.

So perhaps what's happening is intentional?

If so it would be nice to have some mention in the manual.

Back