Engine Oil Rise

My oil level is a few mmm above the X now, the 20'000km 2 year service is also due. I called my Mazda dealer and said I would like to book it in, so I got an appointment for next Tuesday. I also said I expect the dip stick to be changed to the latest version, since I have the A type, I would expect to get the C type and I also mentioned the the pressure sensor and software update may have been done when I had the car in for a pressure sensor error 11 months ago. The reply was that my car was completely up to date and Mazda Switzerland would have contacted them if there was such an update available. I pressed my case a little but the receptionist just got very arrogant...and that was that.

I check the Germany forum often and there is a wealth of information their about the oil level rise. It is as clear as can be that my car should have the dipstick upgraded. Every owner in the Uk and Germany seem to have no issue with this.

The document below explains the issue in great detail and very proffesionally.

http://www.mazda-forum.info/attachm...-07-25_information_zur_cx-5_oeverduennung.pdf

Page 6 clearly states that Type A dipsticks should be changed to type C.

I really give up with my local dealer, luckily I am spoilt for choice with dealers, so before I try and find a contact tel no. for Mazda Switzerland, I will start to call all the Mazda dealers within 30 miles (there are 26 of them) and the first one that says they know about the upgrade and will carry it our at a service will get my business. I hope I find one as I really look forward to cancelling my service with my local dealer and sending them an email with the pdf. Let's see!

Called another dealer who was more than helpfull, took my chassis number, checked the digital service record, said the repair done was only the sensor, the wrong software update was installed and he doesn't understand why the dipstick wasn't changed. He checked he has the parts and it's booked in next Thursday. Result at last! Doubt I will ever go near my local dealer again!

Last edited:
Called another dealer who was more than helpfull, tool my chassis number, checked the digital service record, said the repair done was only the sensor, the wrong software update was installed and he doesn't understand why the dipstick wasn't changed. He checked he has the parts and it's booked in next Thursday. Result at last! Doubt I will ever go near my local dealer again!

Dr.

so sad you've had shi** service, but so glad you have found somewhere to give your car the proper attention it deserves. If anyone from your area in Schweiz/Suisse wants a recommendation, you'll be able to keep then informed!

if the dealer is giving such a poor level of service it's shocking that Mazda allows them to continue the dealership. The brand suffers unintentionally as a result.

I have 13K on the clock now, the oil level is 2 mm above F which is where it's been (or therabouts) since mid-jan service. seems sorted to me as should yours be by now (incompetent dealer notwithstanding).

Frustrating more than anything! I'm lucky I have plenty dealers near by, unlucky the nearest is incompetent.

When you say F, are you referring to the top dot? I guess that is the level they aim for after an oil change.

Last edited:
Frustrating more than anything! I'm lucky I have plenty dealers near by, unlucky the nearest is incompetent.

When you say F, are you referring to the top dot? I guess that is the level they aim for after an oil change.

yup, top dot, way below the new X on dipstick C. It was just above the top dot after I checked 30 miles after oil change.

Just so happy I delayed buying mine until this issue was sorted.

But wish I had waited another year for the recent upgrades.

I find it incredible that your local dealer was unaware of any upgrades, when I took mine in yesterday for the battery to be checked(its in till sat), the receptionist said they would also download the latest tomtom software, which I have done myself.

My oil level hasn't moved to what I can tell since I bought it.

I had a poor dealer when I had a xtrail, that dealer is now out of business.

I'm happy I got mine when I did, the no resume on the 2014's would have annoyed me but I missed out on Soul red as a colour and not able to read texts even thought my phone has the correct BT profile.
Swings and roundabouts. Fortunately Mazda have jumped on the oil level rise problem as far as I can make out, any outstanding issues are most likely due to poor dealerships. Can't believe Dr. W. still doesn't have a new dipstick!

Just checked my oil level, surprised to see its risen, now just over the full level.
Three months to service so should be good till then.

Around 6K miles.

See post 482, all the right hardware and software is done so I'm happy. Still to check the level, just coming up to 700 miles since service. Happy with the car, no rattles either now the weather is warmer.

I have just had the same surprise after 21k with no problems checked yesterday and found it just over the full mark !
Just checked my oil level, surprised to see its risen, now just over the full level.
Three months to service so should be good till then.

Around 6K miles.

I have had my CX-5 for 14 months and have now done 12700 miles. The first service was done free (oil change only) at 7500 miles last November. Mazda UK reimbursed the fee of 85 charged and said the problem should go away as I have now received all upgrades for sensors , C dipstick and software etc. I have recently checked my dipstick and it is just below the X mark!!!! at 12700 miles. I have contacted Mazda UK and will possibly take the issue to Which Magazine for comment and investigation. I did not buy this car to be serviced every 6000 miles or so and have diluted oil to the extent that I have had the Oil pressure light up due to the thinning oil. Watch this space for the feedback I receive from Mazda. Other than that the MPG is excellent but that may be due to the low resistance the engine has against diluted oil!!!!!! It gets better gradually after the oil change.

My car was delivered July 2013 with the C dipstick already, for the first 5K miles the level was at or below the full level, only recently as its got warmer has it risen.

The high rev start up has also started again now its warmer, revs to around 1750rpm on start up, during the winter it rarely did.

Lubricheck oil rise

Hi the dreaded curse of the oil rise I purchased a lubricheck and stopped useing the mazda oil replaced this service with mobile 1 ESP so far I have covered 825 miles from oil change with no oil rise.
The lubricheck indicates oil quality I have tested this at work and is a good indicator to oil quality worth the money and peace of mind

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 221
Hi the dreaded curse of the oil rise I purchased a lubricheck and stopped useing the mazda oil replaced this service with mobile 1 ESP so far I have covered 825 miles from oil change with no oil rise.
The lubricheck indicates oil quality I have tested this at work and is a good indicator to oil quality worth the money and peace of mind

Do you have a link for where you bought the Lubricheck? and the cost.

Also what difference will using esp do to prevent the oil rise?

The following picture with cost and company name I purchased lubricheck from .
When using this device it's important to follow the instructions don't turn it on with out oil in sensor pad.As for the oil I have used this oil previously with good results it exceeds ac3 with low ash content designed for diesel DPF and costs less than Mazda oil.On the original mazda oil I was getting oil rise in the first 3 weeks.
Check out the reviews on mobil1 ESP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Thanks Gareth.
On my Mazda oil I've only recently had the oil rise, so I don't think the oil has any bearing on the oil rise, after all its diesel that's getting into the sump, so I don't see how a different oil will affect that.

14K on the clock now. oil level 3 or 4 mm above F. I did wait a full 10 mins this time whereas previously I've waited between 5-10 mins. I suspect it's realy only risen 1mm since my last check, so It's likely to last the distance.

:)

I have had many issues with fuel dilution in the sump and the oil pressure light coming on etc. I have a 175bhp AWD Sport Nav and have had it back for free service every 6 months. total of 4 in two years covering 24K. I drive the SUV 50 miles every day on mainly motorway at 60-70mph. The Manufacturer has upgraded the dipstick the software etc but the problem still persists. If the oil was not changed for free I would sell the car. Everything is great with the CX 5 especially the economy . I have averaged about 44MPG in the two years. However I have had the dreaded Oil pressure up twice and only 6K after a main service. I do not believ that my driving style is the problem. The problem is that Mazda do not know what to do so they fudge the dipstick level and tweek the software but we all know that the diluted sump will just make the oil too thin to pump!! and thus this is why the warning comes up. I am part of the which Consumer group and I am now considering placing an article in the magazine. I am also a time served Diesel Engineer with a degree in Mecahnical Engineering so they have trouble pulling the wool over my eyes. I would like to know how many of you are having the same experience and what support Mazda has given you? I did not expect to purchase a car advertised for annual service or 10K to have to do it every 6months or 6K which is basically what I have been doing. I look forward to hearing from you all. Almost forgot the economy gets better as the oil thins. Maybe the only positive!!!!
Modify Message

Me Too!

I purchased my CX5 in March of this year and so far it has done 1100 miles. It has the 'C' type dipstick and I assume has all the upgrades that have been discussed in this thread.
My Brother in Law has a 4 year old petrol 6 and remarked in passing that he bought petrol because of the problems associated with Mazda diesels. This in turn prompted me to check in the forum and I discovered that the CX5 had the same problem!
I then checked the oil level in my 2 month old CX5 and to my dismay the level was already 4mm over the Full mark.
Next Day I drove to the dealer who sold the car (140 mile round trip) and was told that I was being overly concerned and that I should bring the car in if I got a warning light showing on the Dash.
This afternoon (a week later) I checked the oil level again after turning off the ignition and waiting 15 minutes. This time the dipstick was wet up to 8mm over the Full mark and 3mm of that was a thinner fluid which appeared to be full of tiny bubbles. I went to fetch a camera, but by the time I got back the 3mm of thinner fluid had evaporated and the 5mm of heavier fluid (oil) remained.
I am now in my senior years, but as a young man I used to work on my own cars and bubbles in oil usually meant that the crank was thrashing the oil in the sump.
Can anyone help with an explanation as to the cause of the bubbles. Is this due to failed regeneration of the DPF or could it be due to something else?
Needless to say I am totally hacked off that I have just bought a 24,000 car that is less than perfect and will not be fit to last my retirement years as planned because of likely long term damage to the engine from diluted lubrication.

Last edited:
Back