emissions question?

Lilphatts

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
I need to replace my cat. I have been getting the CEL for it. I live in Ontario, Canada and was looking at replacing the stock header/warmup cat with a set of obx headers. If I ran with just the one cat will I have problems passing emissions?

Has anyone from Ontario done this?

Or would I have to use a Universal Cat?

Thanks

I need to replace my cat. I have been getting the CEL for it. I live in Ontario, Canada and was looking at replacing the stock header/warmup cat with a set of obx headers. If I ran with just the one cat will I have problems passing emissions?

Has anyone from Ontario done this?

Or would I have to use a Universal Cat?

Thanks

What kind of emissions check do they do? If they just plug in to your OBDII port, you can use the nonfouler trick to keep the CEL off. If they use a tailpipe sniffer, I've heard that the rear cat still cleans the exhaust well enough to pass. But if they do a visual inspection of your exhaust, you're SOL.

Does Texas follow the same guidelines as Ontario, Canada?

I don't have an answer for Ontario, Canada. Many USA states do use the procedure used by Texas. I live in NC and they have the same type check in some parts of the state. I used the Texas PDF because it's the best summary I have found on checking emissions by plugging into the OBDII port.

Try searching your Department of Transportation or whatever it's called in Canada for an answer. Or you could call your inspection station to find out how they check emissions.

Clifton

I also live in ontario and can confirm that you can pass emissions without the pre-cat.

I used the non-fowler trick and have passed 2 e-tests since.

They say the do a visual check, but most of the time they don't check to see if both cats are there. As long as they see one cat there they are happy, and the most important thing is the sniffer test and the gas cap test. Assuming your rear cat (which does the bulk of the work anyways, the front is designed to reduce cold start emissions as far as I understand) is on good condition you should be fine.

Back